Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,911 of 12,974
I am gonna buy these.
Left my Z1R at my hometown when i went for vacation and i just can't enjoy HD800s for too long. I really enjoy them when i have to listen for 30mins to 1 hr. If i go beyond an hour I end up getting headache even with low volume. I am more of speakers guy since they are less fatiguing but I am staying in an apartment and I can't own speakers here.
When I went to Canjam I was in no mood to buy any new headphones as i was contempt with my 800s, 600 and Z1R but every desk there had these cans on them and I listened to them at almost every desk. Best pairing was with Dave pairing.
I don't have Dave but i do have Chord Mojo.
I liked them so much as I felt it has the sound signature that I can listen to for long duration without getting headache.
I think I will buy them tomorrow but have a question, is the warranty transferrable to new owner in case you buy used ones?
Email Arthur at info@violectricusa.com and ask him about the warranty. He’s a NY metro dealer and has inventory and he’s great guy and will answer your question.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,912 of 12,974
Guitars are unfortunately pushed back on the Empyreans and feel too distant. I much prefer the Sony Z1R's for metal and rock. The guitars are more forward, in your face, and hit hard which is satisfying.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #2,913 of 12,974
Same question but between the ZMF Verite and Empyrean?

Those are probably the best 2 headphones for my tastes that I've ever heard, though I've only heard them at CanJam.

Very different animals I think, especially one being planar & one dynamic. The Empyrean is on the warmer side, but there aren't many peaks & valleys in the F/R I think (except maybe the velour pads boosting somewhere in the treble). It comes across as smooth to my ears, but no lacking in detail retrieval, which is a fine trick.

The Verite is more 'alive' sounding to me...similar in a warmish tone(downward sloping F/R?Edit: at least downward after the mids, which are slightly elevated to my ears), but they sound very different. Not a relaxing listen, I guess the transients are more sharply defined, but not sharp...not fatigue as far as I can tell, but it was show conditions.

I hope that helps a little...

I'd have a very hard time picking between the 2 if money was no object.

I have them both at home with me currently. Upon first listen to the Meze,they sound not too different from the Verite. I agree that theyre different animals though. The Meze sound really good thru my GLM2,whereas the ZMFs really need my Glenn OTL to sound bad ass.

I havent done any A/Bing yet,but the Meze sound pretty damn good. Listening to melodeath at the moment,and these are very fast headphones.

EDIT: Beginning to do some A/Bing...Using ZMF 2K cable,so direct a/b is impossible as I only have one cable :frowning2:
Amp is Gilmore Lite Mk 2.

Empyrean is much more comfortable than the Verite,which is no slouch in comfort.
The Meze is faster.
The ZMF has more sub bass presence. Has a wider and taller stage. Has more texture,and to my ears has better separation.
Both are excellent sounding headphones,but too similar in sound signature to warrant owning both IMO.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #2,914 of 12,974
Sorry if this has been answered before. Th Empyrean uses mini XLR connectors on the cups. Is the pin layout the same as on the ZMF headphones? In other words, can I use a cable designed for the Auteur/Vérité with the Empyrean?

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #2,915 of 12,974
Sorry if this has been answered before. Th Empyrean uses mini XLR connectors on the cups. Is the pin layout the same as on the ZMF headphones? In other words, can I use a cable designed for the Auteur/Vérité with the Empyrean?

Yes. Using the ZMF 2K cable at the moment. Noticeable improvement over the stock cable.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #2,916 of 12,974

Unless something has changed in the last week, yes, you can. Same pins as Audeze/ZMF mini-xlr's.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #2,918 of 12,974
I'm a big metal fan and I'm quite enjoying Empyrean with classic metal (Blind Guardian, Suicidal Tendencies, Overkill, Savatage) as well as newer stuff (Meshuggah, Bolt Thrower, Obscura, Gojira, Unleash the Archers, Iced Earth). I realize some of these bands have been around so long they fit both categories.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,921 of 12,974
I'm a big metal fan and I'm quite enjoying Empyrean with classic metal (Blind Guardian, Suicidal Tendencies, Overkill, Savatage) as well as newer stuff (Meshuggah, Bolt Thrower, Obscura, Gojira, Unleash the Archers, Iced Earth). I realize some of these bands have been around so long they fit both categories.

John,

Are you going to write an extensive formal review (or informal opinion piece) to explain the pros and cons of the Meze Empyrean headphone relative to other outstanding headphones that you have listened to in the past (eg. Abyss and Susvara)?

Jeff.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,922 of 12,974
I agree with your assessment. Personally I was in a HEKse, Verite, Empyrean pick two out of three situation and I ended up w/ the Verite and HEKse. HEKse is quite different than the other two.. it's air and transparency is almost Stax-like. Both Verite and Empyrean are on the warm/dark side but I found the Verite faster and more organic.

Thanks for the suggestion. At the end I'll be returning the Empyrean, I'll try to get my hands one of the Verites.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,923 of 12,974
With modern or classic metal?

I was listening to some modern melodeath(Unleash the Archers,Parasite Inc.,I) last night,as well as classic older stuff,and thought that the Empyrean did an excellent job handling super fast stuff. Def a speedy headphone.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2,924 of 12,974
the empyrean is a combination of the utopia and lcd-4z as i have mentioned before...not quite the bass of the 4z but close...a bit more of an airy sound....a similar soundstage to the 4z and a bit less detailed than the utopia but again close....all in all a very nice listen and i am a big fan....that said the abyss in a class of its own

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #2,925 of 12,974
John,

Are you going to write an extensive formal review (or informal opinion piece) to explain the pros and cons of the Meze Empyrean headphone relative to other outstanding headphones that you have listened to in the past (eg. Abyss and Susvara)?

Jeff.

I will continue giving my impressions in this thread. I will include more specific comparisons to various headphones, as you mentioned, but I'm not sure it will be as extensive as a formal review. I've just got too many other things on my plate at the moment. But as I log more hours, you'll be hearing more and more from me here, and hopefully I can come to some coherent conclusion about where I feel the Empyrean stands.

At this point I'm only feeling more and more impressed - it's become my favorite headphone for the moment, and no amount of "new toy" syndrome has worn off. That's a good sign!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back