Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #2,746 of 13,029
So I've been listening the the Empyreans for about a week now with leather pads and have made some initial general observations. I mainly listen to Metal/Rock/oldies with some Trance/Pop/Country as well. The only other headphone I've compared them to so far are the Sony Z1R's and I did direct A/B comparisons yesterday. I think they sound great but are not a huge leap over the Z1R's imo. In many cases better and in some cases not. The Empyreans sound more holographic and 3D with better separation. It sounds more like a speaker system than any headphone I've heard. The Z1R's having just a hair harder hitting bass and it's definitely tighter. The bass of the Empyreans is unfortunately more loose, but better sub bass. Dynamics are about the same for each. Great deal of sound leakage from the Empyreans which is to be expected from open cans. Z1R's are faster and more crisp. Empyreans are a very smooth and non fatiguing headphone which is perfect for my tastes. Z1R's used to have a treble peak that was too harsh for me but that went away with my new Chord gear. The Empyreans just look stunning and are the best looking headphones I've ever seen. I'm very sensitive to the comfort level of headphones and get a headache after a while if there's a lot of pressure on the middle of my head. The comfort of the Empyreans is top notch and I have not had a moment where I felt I needed a rest from them. They sit a little back from the middle with a wide headband and the weight is distributed evenly all around with just the right about of clamp around the ears. The Z1R's, while comfortable, will end up after a while causing an uncomfortable pressure point in the middle of my head after long listening sessions and I'll have to take a break. Just my two cents.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,747 of 13,029
I'm using my Forza Audioworks Noir HPC MK2 balanced cable. They were originally made for my Focal Elear and Sony Z1R but I got Matt to make me a balanced to single ended adapter and 3.5mm female to mini xlr female pigtails so I can use it with the Empyreans.

TQjdVgf.jpg

Damn, that looks great. I have exactly the same cable except it's terminated for LCD/ZMF/Empyrean + the same balanced-to-SE connector.

Why didn't I think of contacting Matt for my converter/cable to let me use this cable w/my HEX v2? I ordered from Norne Audio, which is totally fine, but contacting Matt just never entered my mind.

However, I still could contact Matt about HCP Noir connector/cables to connect existing LCD/ZMF jacks to my heavily modded HD650. That may sound kind of extreme, putting all those cable $$ in front of an HD650, but this not just any HD650--it was heavily modded (completely transformed, really) by Jupiter Audio Research. A very fine HP.

Back to topic: will hear the Empyrean for 2nd time in 2 days. Can't wait!

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #2,748 of 13,029
Mine are arriving tomorrow morning some time before 10:30. Can't wait! Shame I have a really busy weekend so I don't have much time to listen

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,749 of 13,029
Mine are arriving tomorrow morning some time before 10:30. Can't wait! Shame I have a really busy weekend so I don't have much time to listen
Nice! another one joined the club. When you get enough head-time let us know a little something, something. :)

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #2,750 of 13,029
I will definitely give some more feedback although I did give some preliminary impression when I demoed them a couple of weeks ago. Need to wait until I get my cable back from being re terminated middle of next week as well so I can use my Mjolnir 2 balanced.

Feb 16, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #2,751 of 13,029
When Lieven (Headfonia) told me that Empyrean works great with N8, I drop the Meze team a message immediately asking for a loan unit during the Canjam New York period, and the advantage of sharing a room with Meze team is obvious: I get to collect the Empyrean this evening when we preparing our Private Room, and I steal the new 4.4mm upgrade cables from them.

Spend an hour at hotel room with this combo, it really is a fantastic "portable" setup. I only need to set the player to Mid Gain and it sing with tight and authirative bass already, the holographic soundstage is the best I heard on a portable setup so far. I am using the leather earpad, will try the other earpad first thing tomorrow. I am sure CanJam New York visitors will have a lot of fun with this setup over the weekend.IMG_20190216_002459.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 16, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #2,752 of 13,029
I've been listening to the Empyrean for almost a week now and overall I find them enjoyable. In a previous post I gave some initial impressions. When not comparing the Empyrean to anything else i found them quite satisfying. But I must say, there are certain negative traits that are preventing them from competing favorably to some of my best headphones. Mainly, I find them not as resolute or clear. I find there to be a slight lack of upper mids and treble and a bit too much warmth and lack of sharpness in the lower midrange and upper midbass.. Soon I will switch to the alternative pads that shipped with the unit as i have not yet heard them. In case folks are wondering, I am using a 4 pin XLR Toxic Widow silver cable. For amp/dac I am using the Oppo HA-1. I will soon try some of my other amps like the GS-X MK2.

In particular, a direct comparison against the Final Audio D8000 was a real let down for me. The D8000 was clearer, more resolute and more neutral sounding overall. I do consider the D8000 one of my best headphones though ...even bettering the Utopia by a small margin.
I acknowledge that some might have preference for the thicker sounding Meze over these other headphones ...we all hear differently and have different tastes. But thus far I have a substantial preference for the D8000. It makes the Meze seem overly warm and blurry sounding in the lower midrange. The Meze simply does not sound as realistic to me.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,753 of 13,029
I've been listening to the Empyrean for almost a week now and overall I find them enjoyable. In a previous post I gave some initial impressions. When not comparing the Empyrean to anything else i found them quite satisfying. But I must say, there are certain negative traits that are preventing them from competing favorably to some of my best headphones. Mainly, I find them not as resolute or clear. I find there to be a slight lack of upper mids and treble and a bit too much warmth and lack of sharpness in the lower midrange and upper midbass.. Soon I will switch to the alternative pads that shipped with the unit as i have not yet heard them. In case folks are wondering, I am using a 4 pin XLR Toxic Widow silver cable. For amp/dac I am using the Oppo HA-1. I will soon try some of my other amps like the GS-X MK2.

In particular, a direct comparison against the Final Audio D8000 was a real let down for me. The D8000 was clearer, more resolute and more neutral sounding overall. I do consider the D8000 one of my best headphones though ...even bettering the Utopia by a small margin.
I acknowledge that some might have preference for the thicker sounding Meze over these other headphones ...we all hear differently and have different tastes. But thus far I have a substantial preference for the D8000. It makes the Meze seem overly warm and blurry sounding in the lower midrange. The Meze simply does not sound as realistic to me.

To me, the Empyrean is the best headphone that I’ve ever listened to or owned. It is so musical and fun to listen to. My previous headphones were LCD-4 and Ether Flow Open.

My opinion has always been that if someone only likes to listen to Utopia headphones or something very similar to it, then the Empyrean is not for you. They are totally different. Musical versus clinical.

I have a 180 degree opinion than you. I find the Utopia unbearable to listen to. Too bright, clinical, and analytical. It “maybe” accurate sounding, but it it is not musical to me.

Similar to studio monitor speakers. Recording studios will use them for their in your face accuracy, but you wouldn’t want to listen to them for your speakers at home.

So I could see that this headphone might not be for everyone.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #2,754 of 13,029

Interesting, I’m using D8000 and I love them, but I consider transparency is a weakness of D8k. I haven’t tried empyrean yet, so are they even warmer? Are you using any upgrade cable for D8k?

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #2,755 of 13,029
My opinion has always been that if someone only likes to listen to Utopia headphones or something very similar to it, then the Empyrean is not for you. They are totally different. Musical versus clinical.

Can't agree with this. I very much like both. Utopias aren't clinical unless your electronics sound that way, then, the headphones will reveal all the shortcomings. Utopias are simply more demanding than Empyrean (by being more transparent and because they don't impose their own character - as Empyreans do - rather mirroring the system sound). Having said that I could easily live with either of the headphones in my system with possibly few adjustments (cables etc).

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,756 of 13,029
Interesting, I’m using D8000 and I love them, but I consider transparency is a weakness of D8k. I haven’t tried empyrean yet, so are they even warmer? Are you using any upgrade cable for D8k?

Indeed, D8000 are less transparent then let's say Abyss 1266 or Stax 009 and from that perspective it is their weakness, however, comparing to Empyrean, Final Audio would show more resolution and treble extension.

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,757 of 13,029
Can't agree with this. I very much like both. Utopias aren't clinical unless your electronics sound that way, then, the headphones will reveal all the shortcomings. Utopias are simply more demanding than Empyrean (by being more transparent and because they don't impose their own character - as Empyreans do - rather mirroring the system sound). Having said that I could easily live with either of the headphones in my system with possibly few adjustments (cables etc).

Well as mentioned, it's an opinion. No right or wrong. However with that said that is not a correct assumption saying that they are clinical unless your electronics sound that way. I ams using a V281amp which is warm, a Levinson transport, and dCS DAC and this combo is far from edgy, and would be considered a top notch combo.

You say that the Utopias don't impose their own character. Sure they do. It is well known that they do sound clinical, as well as not strong in the bass and somewhat peaky in the treble area.You would need warm electronics to make the Utopias not sound clinical.

However what you said electronics playing a part in the sound, also goes more importantly into the music you're listening to. That are a lot of bad recordings out there, and for me I would rather have a warmer, musical, and more relaxing headphone than one that makes me squint everytime I hear a sharp note or passage.

You are right about adjusting the sound with cables. I find that the Empyrean is very susceptible to cable change. Listening to a good sliver cable removes some of the character that you mentioned of the Empyreans,

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,758 of 13,029
20190216_111705.jpg Heard the Empyrean on the Dave, they look beautiful, but the sound so far to me was kind of lackluster. I honestly was blown away more by the Final D8000 on the Cayin stack

Feb 16, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,760 of 13,029
Well as mentioned, it's an opinion. No right or wrong. However with that said that is not a correct assumption saying that they are clinical unless your electronics sound that way. I ams using a V281amp which is warm, a Levinson transport, and dCS DAC and this combo is far from edgy, and would be considered a top notch combo.

You say that the Utopias don't impose their own character. Sure they do. It is well known that they do sound clinical, as well as not strong in the bass and somewhat peaky in the treble area.You would need warm electronics to make the Utopias not sound clinical.

However what you said electronics playing a part in the sound, also goes more importantly into the music you're listening to. That are a lot of bad recordings out there, and for me I would rather have a warmer, musical, and more relaxing headphone than one that makes me squint everytime I hear a sharp note or passage.

You are right about adjusting the sound with cables. I find that the Empyrean is very susceptible to cable change. Listening to a good sliver cable removes some of the character that you mentioned of the Empyreans,
Utopia really is picky with amp and source, I spent about a year to find a ideal amp for utopia, until I found Cayin HA300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back