Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 2, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,997 of 12,974
that description aligns with my own impression of it
Which makes me wonder if the Empyrean might sound too laid back and relaxed over time, and you might want a little more spark and jump that you now realize isn't there.

OR....perhaps it's presentation will always remain musical and satisfying....and no headphone will ever be all things to all people.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,999 of 12,974
Yes they are end game headphones the best I've heard but do they blow me away like a high quality pair of speakers probably not but 7 hrs use on any piece of kit surely isn't enough so I'm gonna listen to someone else for once... My dealer hope he's right

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #2,000 of 12,974
Are you looking for over ear speakers? You would prob find HAMT3 ideal.
I'm just to hasty mate, I use to be in a better position money wise and deep down I want what I had but it's not gonna happen, 2500 grand speakers most ppl would be happy with but I'm trying to chase for something a bit better even sacrifice selling my headphones to do it.
Addiction over commonsense is a terrible thing

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #2,001 of 12,974
I've had a proper chat with Roger from nintronics and he has told me you need to run them in and I would be mad to not give them a chance so I've ordered the focal aria 936 today and I'm going to keep them now, he said I would have the best of both worlds, decent speakers and top headphones

Focal aria 936 looks pretty cool. I look forward to hearing your impressions about it. 2x Focal aria 936 is being sold currently at 2.8k usd. Seems worth trying them instead of spending 3-4k on headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #2,002 of 12,974
Yes they are end game headphones the best I've heard but do they blow me away like a high quality pair of speakers probably not but 7 hrs use on any piece of kit surely isn't enough so I'm gonna listen to someone else for once... My dealer hope he's right

I'm just to hasty mate, I use to be in a better position money wise and deep down I want what I had but it's not gonna happen, 2500 grand speakers most ppl would be happy with but I'm trying to chase for something a bit better even sacrifice selling my headphones to do it.
Addiction over commonsense is a terrible thing

Given the price, if the headphones don't blow you away and you prefer speakers, speakers are probably the way to go. Compared to speakers, IMO headphones above $500 are generally somewhat overpriced from a value standpoint.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,003 of 12,974
I’m not sure why headphones and speakers should really be compared. At least imo they are apples and oranges or more so like a bike or motorbike.
For headphones, it doesn’t really get any better than these. At least they are flagships and sound phenomenal for headphones. But loud speakers are completely different and have viceral impact that cannot be heard and felt with any headphones. (Cough) physics. (Cough)

Expectation of something to be equal is unfair comparison imo. There is a place for headphones. Some people can only ever have headphones if they live in an apartment or have a family that won’t tolerate loud music filling a room or a whole house. Those fortunate to have a home with open room and excellent acoustics for a loud speaker system should definitely have their ears set on this particular type of setup. But they can appreciate headphones for the times when you can’t blast your speakers at 1-2am and others are sleeping. :)

In my case my wife and I share an office and I we both have closed back headphones for more private sessions. Even the pairs of empyreans we own are only used carefully since open backs even leak a bit of sound. When sharing a room with someone else it sometimes can be annoying to hear this sound. We fortunately have a home with a nice room for loud speakers as well... but I don’t enjoy them as much as headphones since I don’t have as many opportunity’s to listen at volumes I prefer. Sooooo both types of systems I truly appreciate and have never thought about comparing the two.

Imagine headphones that vary from a rusty old bike to a high performance racing bike with carbon fiber wheels etc... but in the end it’s just a bike. Or with motorbikes you can have a rusty old motorbike that is still faster than a racing bike... or a super fast crotch rocket speed bike, Bmw cruiser bike or Harley Davidson if it’s your style... Anyhoo.

Let’s keep the conversation about these headphones please. I’m enjoying to read the responses from those who have heard these headphones. I personally find it hard to compare these to other headphones. And I have literally own or owned the majority of headphones on the market today. There are a lot of good headphones out, and very very few compare to these imo. certainly when it comes to fit and finish, I’ve never seen anyone that compares to the level of detail that that empyrean has. For those who know about Cnc machining and what is involved to produce a complex shape such as the frame for the empyrean. There is a lot of code written to tell the machine to cut the metal a specific way. The video they provide will show briefly what it looks like. Photos will show tiny markings of where the Cnc machine has moved back and forth to carve the metal to a precise shape. These headphones take 20hours on a Cnc machine to make one pair of empyreans. Imo that is absolutely stunning! Other headphones have simple basic shapes that take minutes and maybe a half an hour a time most to make some of the bits. Meze Audio has clearly shown a level of passion in their design and created a work of art.
Second note, the drivers which are made by Rinaro. These iso dynamic drivers are truly unique if you compare them to traditional type planar drivers. They have evolved the driver design to another level imo. Having the efficient upper part of the driver for low end. It reminds me a little bit of what Oppo did with the pm3’s. They achieved a planar designed driver yet was easy enough to drive for any cell phone. At that time there was really no other planars that could be easily driven. The pm3’s have more of a circular design to their driver. Most other companies use a slat or side ways slat sort of design. The empyrean has a high freq driver pin pointed towards the ear canal so as to be as direct and precise. All in all achieving an efficient driver that any amp can power very well. I see the passion that was put into this product and that is noted. These reasons are part of why it’s hard to compare to other headphones. But also with my previous comments, I found these to be neutral in tone, especially with the Alcantara Pads... although one user finds my opinion to undoubtedly to be credible in any way... :) but it’s my opinion and what measurements I’ve recently seen also back what I’ve heard.
Imo, closest to the Harmon curve.
I’ve tested them with many setups so far and they are not as picky as some other headphones that I’ve tested. As one will know that the more demanding headphones only really pair well with a proper amp. The empyrean sounds great with most all amp/dacs and even simple phones but still scales well with a high end dac/amp if you want to get a real experience of how good they may sound. They are expensive but out of every headphone I’ve ever purchases, these are a pair I didn’t feel guilty one bit to pay for them. The quality of them just is so apparent. Other headphones I’ve paid multiple times as much for and don’t compare to the empyreans build quality. :)

The ear pad side will fit up large ears but not extra large ears. I think the design of keeping it tight around the ears is part of keeping the sound focused. It’s more focused without sounds bouncing around inside dead space. I find them comfy for extended periods of time. In fact the last week I’ve been editing photos on my computer for 8-10hours a day while listening to music on the empyreans. I have been using Alcantara Pads but slightly prefer the comfort of the leather pads, but sound of the Alcantara Pads I slightly prefer for acoustic, classical, vocals. And the leather pads I like for edm, pop etc. It excels at all genres of music which I can’t say for a lot of headphones. My wife likes groups like 21pilots and some classical music... she had listened to the empyreans and asked where her pair was. My wife likes audio gear to a certain point but not as much as I do... but when she does like a piece of gear, she lets me know and also ends up getting it for her own audio setup. Wife approved is a rare deal around my household. So why not? :) two pairs it is.
Her z1r’s are for private sessions and gaming but like I mentioned in my previous message in this thread... it’s a different animal and not really comparable at all.

Closed back and open back headphones are sooo different.
As headphones and loud speakers are sooo different!!!

Why bother comparing? One should expect these basic differences I would hope.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,004 of 12,974
I want to apologise to Antonio, I'm all mixed up with what I want in life, it's been a long road losing my job my health but I've got a permanent job today so I don't feel I need to rush or part ex stuff, I'm keeping the Meze audio Empyrean headphones and I'm gonna spend a good year making my impressions, I don't mean impressions in here but my own impressions for me

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2,005 of 12,974
I’m not sure why heapdhones and speakers should really be compared. At least imo they are apples and oranges or more so like a bike or motorbike.
For headphones, it doesn’t really get any better than these. At least they are flagships and sound phenomenal for headphones. But loud speakers are completely different and have viceral impact that cannot be heard and felt with any headphones. (Cough) physics. (Cough)

Expectation of something to be equal is unfair comparison imo. There is a place for headphones. Some people can only ever have headphones if they live in an apartment or have a family that won’t tolerate loud music filling a room or a whole house. Those fortunate to have a home with open room and excellent acoustics for a loud speaker system should definitely have their ears set on this particular type of setup. But they can appreciate headphones for the times when you can’t blast your speakers at 1-2am and others are sleeping. :)

In my case my wife and I share an office and I we both have closed back headphones for more private sessions. Even the pairs of empyreans we own are only used carefully since open backs even leak a bit of sound. When sharing a room with someone else it sometimes can be annoying to hear this sound. We fortunately have a home with a nice room for loud speakers as well... but I don’t enjoy them as much as headphones since I don’t have as many opportunity’s to listen at volumes I prefer. Sooooo both types of systems I truly appreciate and have never thought about comparing the two.

Imagine headphones that vary from a rusty old bike to a high performance racing bike with carbon fiber wheels etc... but in the end it’s just a bike. Or with motorbikes you can have a rusty old motorbike that is still faster than a racing bike... or a super fast crotch rocket speed bike, Bmw cruiser bike or Harley Davidson if it’s your style... Anyhoo.

Let’s keep the conversation about these headphones please. I’m enjoying to read the responses from those who have heard these headphones. I personally find it hard to compare these to other headphones. And I have literally own or owned the majority of headphones on the market today. There are a lot of good headphones out, and very very few compare to these imo. certainly when it comes to fit and finish, I’ve never seen anyone that compares to the level of detail that that empyrean has. For those who know about Cnc machining and what is involved to produce a complex shape such as the frame for the empyrean. There is a lot of code written to tell the machine to cut the metal a specific way. The video they provide will show briefly what it looks like. Photos will show tiny markings of where the Cnc machine has moved back and forth to carve the metal to a precise shape. These headphones take 20hours on a Cnc machine to make one pair of empyreans. Imo that is absolutely stunning! Other headphones have simple basic shapes that take minutes and maybe a half an hour a time most to make some of the bits. Meze Audio has clearly shown a level of passion in their design and created a work of art.
Second note, the drivers which are made by Rinaro. These iso dynamic drivers are truly unique if you compare them to traditional type planar drivers. They have evolved the driver design to another level imo. Having the efficient upper part of the driver for low end. It reminds me a little bit of what Oppo did with the pm3’s. They achieved a planar designed driver yet was easy enough to drive for any cell phone. At that time there was really no other planars that could be easily driven. The pm3’s have more of a circular design to their driver. Most other companies use a slat or side ways slat sort of design. The empyrean has a high freq driver pin pointed towards the ear canal so as to be as direct and precise. All in all achieving an efficient driver that any amp can power very well. I see the passion that was put into this product and that is noted. These reasons are part of why it’s hard to compare to other headphones. But also with my previous comments, I found these to be neutral in tone, especially with the Alcantara Pads... although one user finds my opinion to undoubtedly to be credible in any way... :) but it’s my opinion and what measurements I’ve recently seen also back what I’ve heard.
Imo, closest to the Harmon curve.
I’ve tested them with many setups so far and they are not as picky as some other headphones that I’ve tested. As one will know that the more demanding headphones only really pair well with a proper amp. The empyrean sounds great with most all amp/dacs and even simple phones but still scales well with a high end dac/amp if you want to get a real experience of how good they may sound. They are expensive but out of every headphone I’ve ever purchases, these are a pair I didn’t feel guilty one bit to pay for them. The quality of them just is so apparent. Other headphones I’ve paid multiple times as much for and don’t compare to the empyreans build quality. :)

The ear pad side will fit up large ears but not extra large ears. I think the design of keeping it tight around the ears is part of keeping the sound focused. It’s more focused without sounds bouncing around inside dead space. I find them comfy for extended periods of time. In fact the last week I’ve been editing photos on my computer for 8-10hours a day while listening to music on the empyreans. I have been using Alcantara Pads but slightly prefer the comfort of the leather pads, but sound of the Alcantara Pads I slightly prefer for acoustic, classical, vocals. And the leather pads I like for edm, pop etc. It excels at all genres of music which I can’t say for a lot of headphones. My wife likes groups like 21pilots and some classical music... she had listened to the empyreans and asked where her pair was. My wife likes audio gear to a certain point but not as much as I do... but when she does like a piece of gear, she lets me know and also ends up getting it for her own audio setup. Wife approved is a rare deal around my household. So why not? :) two pairs it is.
Her z1r’s are for private sessions and gaming but like I mentioned in my previous message in this thread... it’s a different animal and not really comparable at all.

Closed back and open back headphones are sooo different.
As headphones and loud speakers are sooo different!!!

Why bother comparing? One should expect these basic differences I would hope.
Because I want a headphone to give me what a speaker does in spades, you make excuses for using headphones, semi detached house small apartment not annoying the neighbours

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,006 of 12,974
seems the Empyrean has a lot in common with the Ether 2? or am I off-base?

I heard them side by side, though I only heard Empyrean with velour pads.
They are quite different. Ether 2 is more neutral across the frequency spectrum.
Empyrean is more fun as it is more V-shaped with elevated bass + recessed mids.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,007 of 12,974
Because I want a headphone to give me what a speaker does in spades, you make excuses for using headphones, semi detached house small apartment not annoying the neighbours
I would like a bicycle to go 180mph but I know it won’t. :)
Those were not excuses. Those are real world examples of where these devices have real world uses. But I’m not going to argue further as you have made your point in what you personally expect from headphones. And there will never be a pair of headphones that meets such criteria. Simply physics wont allow.

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #2,008 of 12,974
Those were not excuses. Those are real world examples of where these devices have real world uses. But I’m not going to argue further as you have made your point in what you personally expect from headphones. And there will never be a pair of headphones that meets such criteria. Simply physics wont allow.

+1

Agreed. They both can't be compared.

If you are not happy with the Empyrean, or headphones at all, then move on. This is a headphone forum, and specifically a thread about the Empyrean. Let's get back to that.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,009 of 12,974
Up till now mate, no-one thought we could possibly text like we are doing now and it's taken for granted

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #2,010 of 12,974
Up till now mate, no-one thought we could possibly text like we are doing now and it's taken for granted

I totally prefer headphones to speakers. I love the intimacy of headphones and the fact that nothing interferes with the sound if you have a quiet room or decent isolation. However, I do not like in-ear monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back