Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,591 of 12,975
The 2nd pair I wouldn't even notice something that small, but I do understand the frustration, trust me I do. I like perfection myself.
Oh I'm a perfectionist trust me, if Sony can give me a perfect Bluetooth headphone for 350 quid then I shouldn't expect anything less from Meze audio Empyrean

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,595 of 12,975
I'd be surprised if they do to be honest

So would I. As far as I can tell, Empyreans are reaching EU customers now, w/more to go there--but have yet to reach the U.S., which one must assume is a major market.

It may be a bit early in the launch of this paradigm-shifting design to potentially dilute the (new) brand excitement by selling less than perfect examples. Though selling B-stock surely has its rightful place in the headphone economy.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #1,596 of 12,975
Would love to hear anyone’s feelings about the Emperean vs HEKv2 or HEKse. I’m liking everything I’m reading about these and they look sexy as hell!

Very quick observations on Empyrean vs. He1000se:

Granted, my setup is not really what one would expect for such high-end headphones, but it us what it is.

Both on 3.5mm se to LG V30 and balanced through Massdrop Liquid Carbon X SDAC/Amp via laptop USB.

Empyrean - warmer, richer. More bass presence. Subdued highs (in direct comparison). Thicker midrange. Vocals more upfront. Livelier, more dynamic. Narrower soundstage, slightly deeper.

HEKse - brighter, leaner. Wider soundstage. Less dynamic, but more detailed. Laid back. Vocals less forward. Midrange much leaner. More treble presence.

Build quality goes to Empyrean by a landslide. Overall comfort to SE. Both very easy to drive and sound great through just about anything.

I find for very bass heavy recording (not genre specific), the SE is a better choice. The thickness, warmness and bass of the Empyrean is a bit much.

Bright recordings are better suited for the Empyrean. The SE's elevated treble is too much.

For most decently recorded music (again, not genre specific), I clearly prefer the Empyrean.

To summarize: I bought both with the intention of comparing and selling one off. Perhaps you may have seen my HEKse sale thread I posted yesterday...(that in no way is a knock on the SE. I could easily have lived with it and enjoyed it had I not had the Empyrean).

Bravo, Meze!!!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,597 of 12,975

Granted, my setup is not really what one would expect for such high-end headphones, but it us what it is.

Both on 3.5mm se to LG V30 and balanced through Massdrop Liquid Carbon X SDAC/Amp via laptop USB.

Empyrean - warmer, richer. More bass presence. Subdued highs (in direct comparison). Thicker midrange. Vocals more upfront. Livelier, more dynamic. Narrower soundstage, slightly deeper.

HEKse - brighter, leaner. Wider soundstage. Less dynamic, but more detailed. Laid back. Vocals less forward. Midrange much leaner. More treble presence.

Build quality goes to Empyrean by a landslide. Overall comfort to SE. Both very easy to drive and sound great through just about anything.

I find for very bass heavy recording (not genre specific), the SE is a better choice. The thickness, warmness and bass of the Empyrean is a bit much.

Bright recordings are better suited for the Empyrean. The SE's elevated treble is too much.

For most decently recorded music (again, not genre specific), I clearly prefer the Empyrean.

To summarize: I bought both with the intention of comparing and selling one off. Perhaps you may have seen my HEKse I posted yesterday...(that in no way is a knock on the SE. I could easily have lived with it and enjoyed it had I not had the Empyrean).

Bravo, Meze!!!

Awesome comparison. Thanks a lot!

I've found that the HEKse does sound a bit thinner through my mobile setup (directly form my iPhoneX) but when I use my desktop amp (Wells Milo) it doesn't sound thin at all and adds a lot of dynamics and adds finesse to the top end. That is to be expected but I figured it was worth mentioning. I think part of the "thinness" and treble is due to the cables on the HEK... I really think they do the headphone a disservice. I found that when I had aftermarket cables with the HEKv2 it improved the headphone exponentially. Anyways, i'm getting off topic. I'm very interested in hearing the Empyrean. As long as it doesn't get too warm or bass heavy i may have to add it to my stable! It's really a thing of beauty and sounds like it's very comfirtable which is critical for me. I really enjoyed the LCD4, but the warmth/bass was always a bit too much for me as a like a more natural or neutral sound with just a hint of warmth.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,598 of 12,975
Well, my comments were in direct comparison to the Empyrean. As I stated, if I didn't do a comparison, I would have been very happy with the HEKse. Even as it stands, I could see keeping both if they didnt cost what they do. They compliment each other.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,599 of 12,975

To summarize: I bought both with the intention of comparing and selling one off. Perhaps you may have seen my HEKse I posted yesterday...(that in no way is a knock on the SE. I could easily have lived with it and enjoyed it had I not had the Empyrean).

Bravo, Meze!!!

That was an awesome and very useful comparison. Can you tell us which earpads you were using with the Empyrean? Thanks.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,601 of 12,975
Leather pads. I originally commented I preferred the alcantara, but I've been flopping on that. Leather ultimately wins out. Both sound great to me and the leather pads are more comfortable.

Uh oh. That worries me. So you’re saying that even with the leather pads the Empyrean bass is too excessive on many tracks?

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,602 of 12,975
Uh oh. That worries me. So you’re saying that even with the leather pads the Empyrean bass is too excessive on many tracks?

I wouldn't say many and it isn't particularly bass heavy recordings that are a problem. Its very poorly recorded, overly bassey recordings.

As an example, not sure if any on this thread is a Godsmack fan, but their latest album When Legends Rise will help you understand what I'm referencing.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,605 of 12,975
empyrean vs HD800S with a descent source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back