Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #976 of 12,974
The first batch has landed in the UK! If you are looking for a stocking retailer please PM us.

On the cable debate, one thing that is getting over looked is what distributors and retailers will stock. It works to chose at time of purchase if direct from a manufacturers site but not when stock is already held in each territory. My ideal as a distributor would be that manufactures include a long 6.35mm cable as standard with full size headphones. Past that it would be sensible to have optional cables as discussed - short 3.5mm, balanced XLR, and 4.4mm. As a distributor I can also hold those and offer an exchange or optional purchase service for those who don't want the 6.35mm as their main cable or want another option as well. In fact we will do this with Empyrean and the short 3.5mm cable - buy it as an extra or swap it for your 6.35mm. I don't think it benefits the majority to include several different cables as standard if it just increases the cost to the customer, which ultimately it will.

Indeed not, no point having loads of cables when most people will only use the 1 that works best with their amp. Looking at your distribution method suggestion it really wouldn't be hard to have an XLR cable added and was pretty much what I was suggesting as it is what MrSpeakers does.

A swap works fine for me. And to the people like @Hifiearspeakers praising you. This is what I was asking for all along lol.

Indeed. It seemed to be a real struggle to get people to understand a very simple concept lol. I even looked up pricing of connectors and everything to make a financial comparison to no avail.

-EDIT Just an FYI if you didn't notice @esauseesaw said it would be sensible, not that they are actually doing it unfortunately. Happy to be corrected on that though? Please? :beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #977 of 12,974
Benchmark HPA-4 has balanced in, balanced out (front panel 4-pin XLR, and dual 3-pin XLR pre-out).
Perhaps they bowed to market pressure, or maybe they changed their minds.

I don't understand your comments. That link describes that Benchmark believe that balanced connections between components (e.g pre-amp to amp) is generally a good thing (and so they provide them on their products).
But they say that that balanced output to headphones is generally a bad thing. They provide an XLR socket for headhone output simply because it gives a better contact than a 1/4" jack, but it's not a balanced headphone output.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #978 of 12,974
I don't understand your comments. That link describes that Benchmark believe that balanced connections between components (e.g pre-amp to amp) is generally a good thing (and so they provide them on their products).
But they say that that balanced output to headphones is generally a bad thing. They provide an XLR socket for headhone output simply because it gives a better contact than a 1/4" jack, but it's not a balanced headphone output.
Oh, my mistake. I thought the 4-pin XLR was balanced.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #979 of 12,974
A swap works fine for me. And to the people like @Hifiearspeakers praising you. This is what I was asking for all along lol.

I’m glad you’re happy, but that is not what you were asking for. You were criticizing Meze for not doing this. This is a dealer that is going out of his way to make customers happy. The onus being on a dealer does not affect the base price for Meze.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #980 of 12,974
I am curious, do you have the link where they say that balanced output for the headphone is generally a bad thing? I want to understand their rationale.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #981 of 12,974
Nov 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #982 of 12,974
This I kinda get. I've never advocated to clients that balanced will always be better. I think What benchmark are trying to say is that a common ground is used for the headphones as headphones cables never have enough cores to be a true balanced cable and thus not offering the same benefits of twin 3 pin XLR cables, each with hot cold ground. I have however heard balanced implementations that sounded better than the unbalanced personally. It just depends on how the electronics have been implemented on that output.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #983 of 12,974
Consider folks like myself that own the TAZH1ES that delivers 300 mW unbalanced, and a balanced connection (4.4 or XLR) delivers 1200 mW. One can realize that a balanced connection allows better power delivery which directly translates into a better listening experience. By not offering a balanced option, this is causing unnecessary hassle for those that prefer listening out of a WM1Z or Cayin N8, or WA11 Passport. The industry is transitioning to a new 4.4 standard, and not offering this option for a flagship is a bit silly. Even HifiMan is adopting this standard, and includes it as a cable in the box. @MezeTeam consider moving with the times, and offer a 4.4mm, even if one needs to pay for this option. Unlike MQA 4.4mm isn't going away any time soon.

We do offer 4.4mm balanced upgrade cable for Empyrean. Please check Meze Audio website under Accessories.

cables.JPG

And about the whole XLR termination on standard cable debate ... I will not promise anything at this point, but just so you know, I read all of your comments so we are aware of your pains.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #984 of 12,974
We do offer 4.4mm balanced upgrade cable for Empyrean. Please check Meze Audio website under Accessories.

And about the whole XLR termination on standard cable debate ... I will not promise anything at this point, but just so you know, I read all of your comments so we are aware of your pains.
Please don't stress yourself out trying to please people like that. There is zero scientific evidence that balanced out is better than any other termination sound wise. It's strictly preference & it's not your responsibility to cater to everyone's.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #985 of 12,974
Please don't stress yourself out trying to please people like that. There is zero scientific evidence that balanced out is better than any other termination sound wise. It's strictly preference & it's not your responsibility to cater to everyone's.

You seem to have an incredibly deep misunderstanding of what people meant here.
1) It's absolutely a preference, but some of us are aware that our amps were designed to achieve certain things particularly through balanced outputs.
2) We request the option to choose which termination suits our needs. If science says that all things being equal (slew rate, power output, distortion, etc) between a single ended and a balanced output there is no reason to go balanced we do not contest that; but there are multiple products where balanced outputs (Schiit Jot, Violectric V280) where the balanced out is measurably different. If it's there why not capitalize on it?
3) You might be a lurker and know this or you might be new and have no idea but it's not at all uncommon for people to run their planars off of speaker taps from integrated amps, XLR is the best option. I personally do that, I would rather have the option to get exactly what I need from the start than to have to hunt down an aftermarket cable if I don't have to.

Another idea for Meze if it's too expensive for them for some odd reason that no one has figured out yet is that they could offer XLR cables for an additional 10-30 dollars on top of the order price. If its necessary it might be our next best option.

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #986 of 12,974
Regardless of what you may or may not believe, suggesting to a vendor NOT to listen to what his potential customers are asking for is not very smart. Whatever the outcome @Antonio Meze should be applauded for regularly engaging on this forum and making himself available.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #987 of 12,974

Blase I respect you friend but have not read this thread? Some people have amps with XLR outputs and balanced circuitry built to a high standard and preferred over SE like my HE9.

This is an amp dependent thing. Its not about SE vs XLR.

Anyway I'll reiterate, balanced XLR is not that hard to offer. Just check out ZMF. Zach... that guy is amazing. I am so happy to give him mine money and probably give him more for his future headphones.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #988 of 12,974
Another idea for Meze if it's too expensive for them for some odd reason that no one has figured out yet...

LOL... epic man.

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #989 of 12,974
This I kinda get. I've never advocated to clients that balanced will always be better. I think What benchmark are trying to say is that a common ground is used for the headphones as headphones cables never have enough cores to be a true balanced cable and thus not offering the same benefits of twin 3 pin XLR cables, each with hot cold ground. I have however heard balanced implementations that sounded better than the unbalanced personally. It just depends on how the electronics have been implemented on that output.

Amps and the technology implemented in their design of course make a difference to what we hear. They are also saying that XLR connections introduce less distortion and therefore support the use of XLR for all connections. As we know, lower distortion equates to a purer signal path. It's something that most high-end audio products try to keep to a minimum. This may also be why some balanced connections sound better, even if the amp itself is not.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #990 of 12,974

10200572.jpg

Thank you @Antonio Meze!

The Empyrean is certainly high on my "must have" list. The upgrade cables looks stunning and it is heartening that Meze is willing to listen and consider.

With a Violectric V281 amp, I personally would be interested with a XLR as standard (if possible).

Congrats to Meze team for the Empyrean. From what I can gather so far, it is as much an engineering marvel as it is a splendid creation of art. A remarkable fusion and simply a class above the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back