Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #965 of 12,975
With the TT2 you can't go anywhere, you stay. it is not a portable device, it doesn'r even have a battery it should not have a "you go" name.
I don't want to go anywhere with the hugo TT 2 but my lounge,portable means compromise. I want state of the art.Hugo TT 2 M scaler Empyrean headphones has got to be up there

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #969 of 12,975
I am very serious, try this combo for yourself if you can, and tell me what you think.
I've heard the blu 2 and Dave at Hifi lounge and I weren't impressed,they also had it through a chord amp and 40 grand pmc speakers, still weren't impressed.I was more interested in meeting Rob watts, I was thinking in my head when I met him it would be oh my god Paul but it wasn't.But when you meet famous ppl you know them but they don't know you.I'm not after the state of the art I'm just after the best I can afford
I'm a factory worker and Hugo TT 2 and m scaler with Empyrean is the best I'll ever get in my life time

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #970 of 12,975
Sure. As this is an Emp thread I will try to keep this brief. I believe bal vs unbalanced is moot.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

I believe bal has value when it comes down to power delivery. If you can deliver enough power to a headphone (not sure what the Emp’s requirement is but probably over 300mW) via unbalanced then you’re golden. Balanced such as 4.4mm allows for more power to be delivered to the headphone, which results in a better sound (useful for portables).
Benchmark HPA-4 has balanced in, balanced out (front panel 4-pin XLR, and dual 3-pin XLR pre-out).

Perhaps they bowed to market pressure, or maybe they changed their minds. I’ve always assumed that the whole ‘balanced is better, no difference, SE is better’ controversy came down to amp topology. But I ain’t no EE.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #971 of 12,975
So, on that I agree with you. 4.4.mm is the future. XLR is obsolete.
4.4 on DAPs and portable amps? Definitely the future. 4.4 on desktop amp? Not so much — at least I’m not seeing it. But I’d be happy to use a DAP cable/adapter w/ my desktop amps. I’m already doing that with my 2,5mm TRRS cables and a 6-foot adapter cable.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #972 of 12,975
The first batch has landed in the UK! If you are looking for a stocking retailer please PM us.

On the cable debate, one thing that is getting over looked is what distributors and retailers will stock. It works to chose at time of purchase if direct from a manufacturers site but not when stock is already held in each territory. My ideal as a distributor would be that manufactures include a long 6.35mm cable as standard with full size headphones. Past that it would be sensible to have optional cables as discussed - short 3.5mm, balanced XLR, and 4.4mm. As a distributor I can also hold those and offer an exchange or optional purchase service for those who don't want the 6.35mm as their main cable or want another option as well. In fact we will do this with Empyrean and the short 3.5mm cable - buy it as an extra or swap it for your 6.35mm. I don't think it benefits the majority to include several different cables as standard if it just increases the cost to the customer, which ultimately it will.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #973 of 12,975
The first batch has landed in the UK! If you are looking for a stocking retailer please PM us.

On the cable debate, one thing that is getting over looked is what distributors and retailers will stock. It works to chose at time of purchase if direct from a manufacturers site but not when stock is already held in each territory. My ideal as a distributor would be that manufactures include a long 6.35mm cable as standard with full size headphones. Past that it would be sensible to have optional cables as discussed - short 3.5mm, balanced XLR, and 4.4mm. As a distributor I can also hold those and offer an exchange or optional purchase service for those who don't want the 6.35mm as their main cable or want another option as well. In fact we will do this with Empyrean and the short 3.5mm cable - buy it as an extra or swap it for your 6.35mm. I don't think it benefits the majority to include several different cables as standard if it just increases the cost to the customer, which ultimately it will.

Amen. Thank you for being logical.

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #974 of 12,975

This is a sensible approach. It recognises that there is a demand for a cable other than the 6.35mm and addresses it at no cost to the customer and no additional cost to the manufacturer of adding extra unnecessary cables. If only many more distributors around the world were as understanding and caring as you are. (Applause)

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #975 of 12,975

A swap works fine for me. And to the people like @Hifiearspeakers praising you. This is what I was asking for all along lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back