Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #12,046 of 12,974
I am trying to only have one headphone pretty soon. Just when I think I can pick between Utopia and Empyrean, I basically find myself back at square one. I really like them both but for different reasons, and each one on its own doesn't fulfill all of my desires. I am hoping Meze Elite might be a good compromise to give me most of what I like from the Utopia and Empyrean combined into a single can.
I get that. Turns out I've given up on the 'One can to rule them all' idea -- struggling to keep my collection down to 5 sets.

And in some ways, Elite does fit the compromise idea you are suggesting. But it's still closer to Empy than Utopia ... by a fair amount to my ears.

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #12,048 of 12,974
Has anyone tried a Empyrean paired with the dx 300?
I've only had the Empyrean a few days but I have the DX320 and think it sounds stellar with it. I've mostly been testing the stock amp module but I did spend an hour with AMP13 installed and thought it worked well out of the higher power output connection. I need more time before saying which amp module I prefer but if I only had the stock I'd be happy.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #12,049 of 12,974
I've only had the Empyrean a few days but I have the DX320 and think it sounds stellar with it. I've mostly been testing the stock amp module but I did spend an hour with AMP13 installed and thought it worked well out of the higher power output connection. I need more time before saying which amp module I prefer but if I only had the stock I'd be happy.
I have the amp12 on my dx 300 and love it with all my cans and the Empyrean is the next open back I will check out.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #12,050 of 12,974
Having 'run-in' my brain with the Empyreans, it's time to consider a new cable ... thinking Forza (again !). Do I go for the Noir HPC Mk2, with the UPOCC pure copper conductor, or the Noir Hybrid HPC with UPOCC copper and silver ? According to the Forza website, the former is said to provide a "slightly warm tonal balance, with deep, rich textured bass and intimate midrange" ... the latter, a "natural sound signature, with full bodied, dynamic sound".

Anyone with any experience of the latter copper/silver version ?

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #12,051 of 12,974
Having 'run-in' my brain with the Empyreans, it's time to consider a new cable ... thinking Forza (again !). Do I go for the Noir HPC Mk2, with the UPOCC pure copper conductor, or the Noir Hybrid HPC with UPOCC copper and silver ? According to the Forza website, the former is said to provide a "slightly warm tonal balance, with deep, rich textured bass and intimate midrange" ... the latter, a "natural sound signature, with full bodied, dynamic sound".

Anyone with any experience of the latter copper/silver version ?
With the Empyreans, you almost have to infuse some silver. I would go with an all silver cable personally. The Empyreans don’t need any more warmth to their sound. Silver will clean up the entire frequency spectrum of the Empyreans. Including tightening up the bass, the midrange will sound clearer, and the treble will be better defined.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #12,052 of 12,974
If it should be a FAW, it's going to be the Noir Hybrid, for sure. :thumbsup:

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #12,053 of 12,974
Sep 9, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #12,055 of 12,974
Looking for a pair of Mint black Empyrean, if anyone has one for me :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #12,056 of 12,974
I changed to an all silver cable, and it had a much greater impact than I would have thought. What Slim1970 said is very true for me also. I even had to lower my volume a little after switching to my new silver cable.
My experience with the stock cable, Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable and one from Hart Audio (all balanced) is that the silver cable has the most impact. Cleaner throughout the frequency spectrum.. The Hart cable is copper and definitely adds some warmth compared to the silver. I prefer the silver. Just my experience.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #12,057 of 12,974
The 109Pro official thread is finally HERE.

As our first dynamic open-back headphone, the 109Pro is powered by a 50 mm dynamic driver, this headphone is a demonstration of our commitment to go beyond the faithful reproduction of sound to deliver pure emotion. At the heart of the headphone is the 109 series Dual-Composites diaphragm featuring a Beryllium-coated semicrystalline polymer torus, a cellulose-carbon fiber composite dome and a copper-zinc alloy ring stabilizer. This is an all-new design that sounds nothing like our previous dynamic headphones.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 17.31.28.jpeg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 15, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #12,058 of 12,974
Are female vocals more seductive on the Empys? Its been a while since I owned them. Are they warmer and less treble focused than the Elites? Thanks.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #12,059 of 12,974
@ThanatosVI

Any reason you kept the Empys? I find the Elites too bright right now. Looking for a warm blanket to counteract the brighter TOTL tunings. Thanks.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #12,060 of 12,974
@ThanatosVI

Any reason you kept the Empys? I find the Elites too bright right now. Looking for a warm blanket to counteract the brighter TOTL tunings. Thanks.
They have that thick, warm seductive sound.
A very unique tuning unlike everything else, that's why I keep them.

The Elite has the same house sound but is noteably less warm, more linear and detailed. Ultimately it is only a complenentary headphone and no replacement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back