Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #11,146 of 12,974
Probably has to do with the elevated upper treble. Sensitivity in that region is very individual and age related. Also very dependent on the recording.
What do we mean with upper treble? I mean, which frequency range are we talking about? There’s not much going on over 12K, it’s mostly air, no fundamentals

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #11,148 of 12,974
Come on guys it is not harsh as piercing or boosted.
Just something with the timbre and that is not always.
The Empyrean is definitely one of the best flagships.
Got it, maybe this is something that was called above "metallic"? Funny thing about treable in Empyreans is that I usually like darker headphones, empyreans are the first HPs with extended hights (at least to me), which I like. I can imagine, however, there may be room for improvment in their sound.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #11,149 of 12,974
What do we mean with upper treble? I mean, which frequency range are we talking about? There’s not much going on over 12K, it’s mostly air, no fundamentals
It is not very audible but there are a lot of high regarded sound engineers (like the Goldmund chief designer) that have pointed that this region although barely audible can cause great listener fatigue it is not tuned well or if distortion applies.

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #11,151 of 12,974
Probably has to do with the elevated upper treble. Sensitivity in that region is very individual and age related. Also very dependent on the recording.
If you are saying Empyrean with upper trebles sound harsh according to this graph. Then the 800S must be stupidly unlistenable
Even when Age is related, you are looking at 6-10Khz. Unless people is going deaf anytime soon, most people can hear up-to this range just fine
463D29AB-C2FD-48ED-BC3F-1F7DE2253665.jpeg
It is not very audible but there are a lot of high regarded sound engineers (like the Goldmund chief designer) that have pointed that this region although barely audible can cause great listener fatigue it is not tuned well or if distortion applies.
Agreed, distortions can cause fatigues in that range

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #11,153 of 12,974
I've been using this EQ setting on Empy and it sounds really good. More controlled bass and (I find) more clarity, detail and 3d.

It includes the 14k reduction (I wasn't fully aware what this did).

Would love to see other people's favourite EQ settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210906-183808_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210906-183808_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #11,155 of 12,974
Could You write a bit about the comparison?
I will try even though I don't usually favour comparisons from memory, so take it for what it is. VC is used with Auteur leather pads and is very different with any other pad. I have a couple of nice pads coming my way in the next weeks and excited about that.

Verite Closed sound has almost a "liquid" nature to it. It's smooth and airy, and has a bit of 3d psychoacoustics going on. Sound is quite open. It shimmers a bit but it's subtle. VC has enough resolution to be as technical as necessary for music enjoyment but is always smooth. Never sibilant or harsh. Bass slams hard and is satisfying.

But on some level VC might lack the sheer emotion (and bass level) that Empy gives.

Empy's bass and mids are "visceral". It goes deep. Immersive and powerful without ever being too much. It gets better with EQ, and I didn't even play with EQ that much. It has great treble extension and everything is there, but perhaps a bit less open, less clear and a less 3d than VC. This said the whole experience feels cohesive and complete. You don't feel you're missing something, it's truly just a different flavour. Empy is used with the leather pads too, I never tried the alcantara. I was using a silver upgrade cable from Sky Audio Cables and I recommend a silver cable with Empy.

In terms of build quality and premium feel they are very different but on par. Empy is what happens when industrial design meets art, VC is all leather and noble wood and premium metal. VC feels (and smells) like a bespoke artisan product made with lots of care, which it is!

Both are comfortable but nothing can beat the Empy's comfort, it cushions your ears softly and feels light while having enough clamping force at the same time. Perfectly balanced.

For reference, I also had a OG Focal Clear on trial that day and while Focal does a lot right (bass is goooood) and probably shows more resolution than both, it was a bit cold to me and I couldn't stand the metallic shimmer in treble. Made me appreciate those two even more.

I am saying goodbye to Empy for now though. It pains me to see my wonderful, almost new unit go but I have to be disciplined and curiosity has me wandering elsewhere...I am however aware that it's difficult to find something that special. It might be just a temporary goodbye. Time will tell.

The reason why Empy is the one to go is because my VC is a ltd Ironwood that is probably impossible to replace and also because pad switching on VC is a fun I want to explore fully.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #11,156 of 12,974
@SoundJedi thanks for this. Very interesting. The problem with comparing VC and Empys is that they sound different on different pads. Some says Verite are warmer with more treble, some says the opposite. I prefer alcantara pads on Meze, it is warmer and more 3D. In any case Verite and Emeryians seem not far away.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #11,157 of 12,974
@SoundJedi thanks for this. Very interesting. The problem with comparing VC and Empys is that they sound different on different pads. Some says Verite are warmer with more treble, some says the opposite. I prefer alcantara pads on Meze, it is warmer and more 3D. In any case Verite and Emeryians seems not far away.

Agreed. I never used the Alcantara on Empy. It's already warm enough for me with the leather pads.

VC pads don't just change the signature a little, it's like listening to a whole new HP. Universe pads have smaller stage, are more in your face, clearer and slam harder. It's a flavour that I might use more now that Empy is going.

Empy and VC both give a distinctive, musical, fun and full experience and yes they are on par in general. I wouldn't be mad if either of those was my only listening device.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #11,159 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back