Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #11,101 of 12,996
Agreed and that's why I am not that interested in a more technical and higher resolution "upgrade" of the Empyrean.

Comfortability, both for wearing and the sound, together with its musicality are what make Empyrean special and complementary to my other flagship CANS.
I share the same view. The reason i decided to buy Empyreans was that they are so comfortable and their sound is so coherent. Soundwise I like Audeze's timbre better (more analogue, at least lcd 3f i used to have), but comfort issues and treable peak were unacceptable. Emperyans are really shining when taken as a whole. I understand Elite are upgraded Empyreans. The key is whether after such upgrade Elite are still so coherent and enjoyable as Empyreans.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #11,102 of 12,996
My pair of Empyrean arrived yesterday, I decided to buy them brand new in the end as I felt the investment was worthwhile…hopefully I will love them for a long time.
I went with the Jet Black, I think it’s a little more subtle compared to the copper, but they are both fantastic.
Can’t really say much about the burn in, id need the two pairs side by side, but the headband feels definitely different: on the demo pair I didn’t need to extend the rods, the headphones were sitting comfortably on my head, but with the new pair the clamp is stronger. Anyone else noticed the same?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #11,103 of 12,996
A nice saturday to tube roll and enjoy the Empyrean!

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #11,105 of 12,996
@ Thanatos

As long as it is sold in the Audio market in Germany 😄
That might take a while.
If it sells and the Elite dissapoints I will buy the all black HC Version back.

Win - win either way.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #11,106 of 12,996
My pair of Empyrean arrived yesterday, I decided to buy them brand new in the end as I felt the investment was worthwhile…hopefully I will love them for a long time.
I went with the Jet Black, I think it’s a little more subtle compared to the copper, but they are both fantastic.
Can’t really say much about the burn in, id need the two pairs side by side, but the headband feels definitely different: on the demo pair I didn’t need to extend the rods, the headphones were sitting comfortably on my head, but with the new pair the clamp is stronger. Anyone else noticed the same?

Congrats! You have picked up a pair which will give you a relaxed and musical listening experience for a long time.

As for the clamp, I suspect you will find the clamp easing as well with more wearing. The demo units go through an accelerated life cycle because many people will have put them on and taken them off. And perhaps also opened up and back on again as listeners adjust. :)

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #11,107 of 12,996
The more I listen to the Empyrean, the more I love it. It can be hard to get the balance right between the usual audiophile virtues, and deep ease of listening and musicality (for want of a better word). The Empyrean succeeds in this balance more than any headphone I know, even more than my LCD4. I know the balance choices Meze makes is not everyone's cup of tea, but for many it seems, it works brilliantly.

This might sound like a strange comparison, but I find an affinity between the Empyrean and the more modest Audioquest NightHawk. Both have a very individual style, with what seems a similar choice between audiophile virtues and sheer euphonic, immersive listenability. The Empyrean to me is like a more fully realized NightHawk.

Now I guess it remains to be seen (heard) if the new Elite will still offer that same easy listening satisfaction...

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #11,108 of 12,996
The more I listen to the Empyrean, the more I love it. It can be hard to get the balance right between the usual audiophile virtues, and deep ease of listening and musicality (for want of a better word). The Empyrean succeeds in this balance more than any headphone I know, even more than my LCD4. I know the balance choices Meze makes is not everyone's cup of tea, but for many it seems, it works brilliantly.

This might sound like a strange comparison, but I find an affinity between the Empyrean and the more modest Audioquest NightHawk. Both have a very individual style, with what seems a similar choice between audiophile virtues and sheer euphonic, immersive listenability. The Empyrean to me is like a more fully realized NightHawk.

No I guess it remains to be seen (heard) if the new Elite will still offer that same easy listening satisfaction...
The Empyrean Nighthawk connection has been made several times before, so you are certainly not the only one feeling this way

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #11,109 of 12,996

Now I guess it remains to be seen (heard) if the new Elite will still offer that same easy listening satisfaction...
That observation is spot-on. The Empyrean is like a more refined version of the Nighthawk and for me that’s been a natural progression. Both are very comfy and supremely listenable.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #11,110 of 12,996

Congrats on your purchase! I similarly prefer jet black. Something about the copper grilles is too much for me. Copper rods is enough.

My Empys were very comfy out of the box. They feel super light and I don't feel strong pressure. Maybe I have a small-sh head, not sure.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #11,111 of 12,996
I wonder how much better the Elite is, over the original. All I know is now the resale value of the original tanks, thanks to this new/improved model.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #11,112 of 12,996
I wonder how much better the Elite is, over the original. All I know is now the resale value of the original tanks, thanks to this new/improved model.
My Empys will become my work headphone, if I prefer the Elite by much. If they are different enough, they can coexist. If I hate the Elite, I will sell it. In any case, Hedd is gonna roll.

People who did not buy Empyrean because of price, now can do so more easily. This is the way of all resellable consumer electronics. Archery bows and cameras/lenses are worse.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #11,113 of 12,996
My Empys will become my work headphone, if I prefer the Elite by much. If they are different enough, they can coexist. If I hate the Elite, I will sell it. In any case, Hedd is gonna roll.

People who did not buy Empyrean because of price, now can do so more easily. This is the way of all resellable consumer electronics. Archery bows and cameras/lenses are worse.

I am not sure I follow. Empyrean is already the cheaper model and most reports imply the two HPs are different. I don't see why resale value should be much lower.

What makes Empyrean stand out is the bass and warm yet refined signature. I don't see that changing. Nothing new about Empy being criticised when compared to other audiophile HPs. Now there's just one more of these, just happens to be a Meze too.

But at the end of the day the market tells the price, not theory. So I might be entirely wrong 😊.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #11,115 of 12,996
My point is that I have no intention of selling my Empys, that last year’s model always loses value on the resale market, and that one should not consider sound investments to be a sound investment, ever.

Oh I agree on both counts. it's a hobby and a costly one at that 😁.

I am intrigued by Elite and want to demo them at some point but 1/ they are too expensive for me and 2/ I doubt their profile will work for me if they have less sub bass and energy or note weight than Empy. I love that thick electric guitar sound on Empy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back