Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #11,056 of 12,994
Question for OG Empy owners in order to evaluate first review feedbacks for the new Elite:
Have you experienced SQ changes during burn in?
Do you consider cabling to be significant?
("Only" standard copper cable included in the stock package vs silver upgrade cable)
Thx
Yes quite noteable changes in the first 50h.
Also yes to cable upgrades being significant in this case.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #11,057 of 12,994
Question for OG Empy owners in order to evaluate first review feedbacks for the new Elite:
("Only" standard copper cable included in the stock package vs silver upgrade cable)
Thx
I use EQ to basically switch between two modes: warm/lush (EQ off) and tighter/cleaner bass and more treble (EQ on). They take to EQ very well. No cables or burn in will do this for you, IMHO. This is just what I do. Not starting a debate on EQ! 😊

Still in doubt if I should sell these to afford the Elite. It sounds like the Elite will be closer to a Susvara type of sound (not quite the performance probably), which I already own...

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #11,059 of 12,994
Thx
I found a major sound quality improvement with burn in, so much so that if I'd auditioned a brand new set I would not have bought it.

In my view and experience, cabling is highly significant in two ways. Better cable does give a general improvement in sound quality; and the type of cable can tune the sound character towards your taste.
Myself, I tried a good number of cables, mostly DIY but some professional. My personal view (my own taste of course, yours may differ):
Good but not superfi copper e.g. Customcans, OK, neutral but as HF and dynamics are perhaps a touch restrained, not an ideal match for Empy.
DIY OCC copper from the far east via Ebay, more detail, a better match, pretty good.
DIY OCC copper from far east, heavier gauge, now this added a bit more bass quality and more full toned as well as the detail, pretty good +
Forza Hybrid Noir; neutral, high quality, a bit more transparent than the above, slightly better tonality, sophisticated sound, very nice.
DIY heavy gauge copper/siliver hybrid from far east, just a bit more transparency and detail than Forza, perhaps a touch less tonality, also very nice and a great match for the Empy. Hard to choose between this and Forza, I like them both a lot.
Plussound hybrid palladium .... definite favourite; detail and transparency and dynamics without seeming 'toppy', fine tonality and sophistication; kind of like the best of the two above rolled into one and a fair bit more quality as well. Also works a treat with Kennerton Thekk!

I also tried all silver DIY, very detailed but there was something I didn't like, possibly tonality, so I have stayed with hybrid; but I accept that there may be some silver cables that do not suffer in this way. Anyway, I found that hybrid could suit the Empy and my taste. Others will have different and equally valid opinions.
So do your own research - masses of info on cables here!

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #11,060 of 12,994
I prefer the Meze copper upgrade cable over the silver. The silver has its virtues, but it still imparts a bit of an 'edge' to the sound, IMHO, that my treble sensitive ears don't get on with as well. I think it's good, but my preference for any headphone in my experience is all copper.
Those are silver plated right ? Not pure silver

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #11,061 of 12,994
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #11,062 of 12,994
That is correct
Pure silver usually isn’t bright or edgy at all, usually those are the characteristics of Silver Plated materials. Many times people are confused because from times to times, people would sum up Silver Plated Copper (SPC) as Silver, which gives silver a bad rep.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #11,063 of 12,994
Pure silver usually isn’t bright or edgy at all, usually those are the characteristics of Silver Plated materials. Many times people are confused because from times to times, people would sum up Silver Plated Copper (SPC) as Silver, which gives silver a bad rep.
I never heard anything silver plated yet (the meze will be my first)

However I can confirm that pure silver isn't bright or edgy at all

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #11,064 of 12,994
Silver plated, yes.

However, In my (albeit limited) experience, even pure silver cable is not right for my ears. I remember having some Nordost silver speaker cable in my stereo system, and, well, it was a very different experience from straight copper. Very fast and detailed, but too bright/analytic for my tastes. Perhaps that would have mellowed over more burn-in time, I don't know. But I'm happy to stick with pure copper.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #11,065 of 12,994
Silver plated, yes.

However, In my (albeit limited) experience, even pure silver cable is not right for my ears. I remember having some Nordost silver speaker cable in my stereo system, and, well, it was a very different experience from straight copper. Very fast and detailed, but too bright/analytic for my tastes. Perhaps that would have mellowed over more burn-in time, I don't know. But I'm happy to stick with pure copper.
Nothing wrong with that, copper is also much lighter on the Wallet.

In the future I will also get one high end copper cable for my collection

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #11,066 of 12,994
Nothing is wrong with personal preferences, but honestly, pure silver isn’t bright either. Pure silver is fast, resolving, and the best of pure silver will be Litz type materials that also offer the best bass articulations. Yes, some people may think that pure silver is analytical, but IME, it is only more speedy and resolving, which leaves room for more details and fidelity to be observed. I love a good and quality pure silver cables. Using it as my main cables for my HD800S, I can say that many people are so mistaken about pure silver

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #11,069 of 12,994
Maybe i missed that, but seems this has not been posted here:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-meze-audio-empyrean-elite/

There is a comparison to Empyreans, the key is: "If you like the exact tuning of the regular Empyrean, you might not like the Elite. If you feel the Empyrean can be improved in clarity, speed and precision, then the ELITE might be the one suiting your tastes best."

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #11,070 of 12,994
Maybe i missed that, but seems this has not been posted here:

https://www.headfonia.com/review-meze-audio-empyrean-elite/

There is a comparison to Empyreans, the key is: "If you like the exact tuning of the regular Empyrean, you might not like the Elite. If you feel the Empyrean can be improved in clarity, speed and precision, then the ELITE might be the one suiting your tastes best."
You are missing another key words
••Susvara•• is still better

for whatever salt that it is worth

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back