Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #11,011 of 12,974
Order placed. Shipping on Friday and Meze have just told me I’m the first in Europe to purchase!
What other headphones do you have to compare them to?

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #11,013 of 12,974
One of the characteristics I read about quite often with the original is that it had a strong bass presence, centered a lot in the midbass, with sub-bass having takin a bit of a backseat. The initial review(s) talk about it being more refined and precise and balanced, so most intrigued as to whether they've tuned it with more sub-bass rumble and less midbass drone.

The other key characteristic was an ethereal, organic musicality that permeated the whole sound presentation. Hopefully that is largely retained and the soul not lost, in lieu of a more reference / neutral tuning.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #11,014 of 12,974
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #11,016 of 12,974
I really hope the soul is not lost with the new Elite, however, I'm afraid it isn't possible to balance and refine the sound while keeping all that "musicality" we love in Empys.

I hope to be wrong though! :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #11,017 of 12,974
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #11,018 of 12,974
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #11,019 of 12,974
it reads like people are hoping the elite will perform like a very well amped susvara
(With a bit of accentuated lower half)

imh(and biased)o

:)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #11,020 of 12,974
Ah…I guess I was late to the party, as I only recently listened to the Empyrean…and fell in love with them! I don’t find them so mid bass centric as everyone say, I think they reproduce acoustic instruments very closely to the real ones.

The whole idea about strings (for example) that need bright headphones to be reproduced correctly doesn’t make much sense to me. I still remember the first time I listened to Beethoven’s 9th live…and it was like…OMG the music is so dark…what’s wrong with the sound!!

This is why I think the Empyrean hit a very good balance between resolution and timbre/tonal accuracy which makes the recording to sound ‘live’ and engaging.

Anyway, I’m going to pull the trigger on the Empyrean, I’m sure the Elite is going to be even better, but for now I’ll be happy to live with the ‘old ones’. Now…if only I could find an used pair in mint condition, in UK 😉

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #11,022 of 12,974
Ah…I guess I was late to the party, as I only recently listened to the Empyrean…and fell in love with them! I don’t find them so mid bass centric as everyone say, I think they reproduce acoustic instruments very closely to the real ones.

The whole idea about strings (for example) that need bright headphones to be reproduced correctly doesn’t make much sense to me. I still remember the first time I listened to Beethoven’s 9th live…and it was like…OMG the music is so dark…what’s wrong with the sound!!

This is why I think the Empyrean hit a very good balance between resolution and timbre/tonal accuracy which makes the recording to sound ‘live’ and engaging.

Anyway, I’m going to pull the trigger on the Empyrean, I’m sure the Elite is going to be even better, but for now I’ll be happy to live with the ‘old ones’. Now…if only I could find an used pair in mint condition, in UK 😉
Well I might have a used pair in mint condition from germany soon.
Surely not as attractive as from U.K ... but just in case

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #11,024 of 12,974

You can't go wrong if you enjoy the Empyrean's sound.
The only thing I missed was the resolution. However, in my use case (listening all day long while working at my desk at home, in the background, or taking a break to relax and focus on music) their character and comfort were the best of any headphones I tried. I've recently switched to Abyss 1266 phi tc, which are phenomenal for, lets say, very active and shorter listening. But I miss the Empys, which could complete them and I plan to get them used when the price drops soon :)

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #11,025 of 12,974
Maybe sounds a bit like how the positioning of lcd3 and lcd4 sits

$1k difference and one has more detail than the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back