Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #7,831 of 12,974
Unlike you, I had a mental breakdown because they were too good.
I think Headphones and DAC/Amp behave similar to Lens and Camera selection.

As a photographer we always strive to gain great detail, contrast with as little distortion and imperfections as possible with the imagery we capture. I have several lenses which make the Empy seem cheap, designed to work with high quality, high MP cameras. They make my life easier as I have to spend less time processing images dealing with those imperfections.

If I take a cheaper lens and use it on a cheaper camera body that resolves to say 16-20mp sensor, it can look very good. Take that high end lens and stick it on that camera and the image will look a little better but not fantastic given the price difference. But on a camera with a bigger / better sensor the lens really shines and produces bags more detail and excellent micro contrast.

However, there are downsides with the better cameras... they do need those better lenses. If you pop that cheap lens on them they will reveal / magnify all the imperfections and weaknesses of that lens. Most likely will look soft (focus), especially on the edges and corners with poor detail and plenty of aberrations. This is why you tend to buy the best lenses you can afford as they'll allow you to upgrade camera later on without having to replace the lenses.

Headphones and DAC/Amp combinations seem to work the same way. You could have the best DAC/Amp in the world but if you use budget headphones and speakers it will never impress. But, you could have the best headphones in the world and they'll only reveal the maximum level of detail that the DAC/Amp is capable of... no more.

Consideration has to be given to the whole chain to maintain a good balance and not to sacrifice one element over another. That includes cabling and power.
No wonder you take breath-taking pictures.

A shorter version of what you're saying is that higher-end model is more revealing of perfections and imperfections. And pairing them with lower models reveal more imperfections than otherwise. While that is mostly true, some products like the HD 600/650 will rock your heart when paired with top gears

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #7,832 of 12,974
No wonder you take breath-taking pictures.

A shorter version of what you're saying is that higher-end model is more revealing of perfections and imperfections. And pairing them with lower models reveal more imperfections than otherwise. While that is mostly true, some products like the HD 600/650 will rock your heart when paired with top gears

Basically... yes. There are always outliers or bits of gear that punch well above their weight :gs1000smile:

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #7,833 of 12,974
We all value different things. Some like sparkle and punch. I am extremely sensitive to stridency, metallic sheen, and brightness. So after much trying this is currently my headphone chain:

Headphones -> Meze Empyrean (gentle and unoffensive).
Dac -> Metrum Acoustics Onyx (dense, dark, lovely. No Chord nonsense)
Amp -> Moon 430HA (calm, detailed)

Some may say this is overkill, too much of a good thing. Me? I am enjoying music like never before.

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #7,834 of 12,974
We all value different things. Some like sparkle and punch. I am extremely sensitive to stridency, metallic sheen, and brightness. So after much trying this is currently my headphone chain:

Headphones -> Meze Empyrean (gentle and unoffensive).
Dac -> Metrum Acoustics Onyx (dense, dark, lovely. No Chord nonsense)
Amp -> Moon 430HA (calm, detailed)

Some may say this is overkill, too much of a good thing. Me? I am enjoying music like never before.
I'm big fan of Metrum and Cees designed DAC. Everything is musical and pairs very nicely with Meze. Try out ZMF/HD800 headphones as well with Metrum DACs

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #7,835 of 12,974
I'm big fan of Metrum and Cees designed DAC. Everything is musical and pairs very nicely with Meze. Try out ZMF headphones as well with Metrum DACs
Did someone say hd800????

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #7,836 of 12,974
Sep 25, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #7,838 of 12,974
Is Metrum back in business? I thought they were bankrupt for a while.
Yes, they are. Cees is still associated with it but not as a designer.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #7,839 of 12,974
Is Metrum back in business? I thought they were bankrupt for a while.
I believe owners and/or management changed again and i think, not sure, cees is back in town. Have a look at the sonnet /orpheus thread and the metrum thread for a few more details (if you haven’t already)

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #7,840 of 12,974
Corrected my post, we can't miss out on HD800 with R2R NOS DAC
My metrum hex dac and woo wa2 otl amp are very good with auteur and superb with hd800. Not a cheap package together.
but the dac is easily one of my most prized possessions - no itching at all to get rid of that dac ever since i bought it about 4 years ago

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #7,841 of 12,974
Introductory line
Han Sound NYX 8Thigh
BE39B1F3-88C8-45BF-9987-68341003249F.jpeg

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #7,843 of 12,974
Oh, don't worry guys, we've kept ourselves busy during the lockdown. :L3000: And given the fact that we were unable to meet with you guys at audio shows, we didn't manage to give you some sneak peeks into our most recent work. What we can tell you is that there's something good coming your way, but, as you already know, nothing will see the light of day until we're 100% sure that it is perfected to our standards. :yum:
Any estimations when it should be ready for the public?
Still 2020?

And please go easy on my wallet :p

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #7,844 of 12,974
That's a heck of a setup. I see you have ADX5000 and HD800S's. The Empyrean's should complement both of those headphones very nicely.

Indeed, but if I had to pick just one, Empyreans would be it. Just saying :sunglasses:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back