Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 6, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #5,326 of 12,975
The concept of streaming is cool and undoubtedly changing the music market of the future. But the quality of the recordings often does not meet my claim. This concept addresses currently the broad masses.
85 percent of my music is in Flac (cd quality) but I prefer Hi-Res files. Recordings might sound better than cd quality or vinyl. If I have a choice between Flac and Hi-Res I would always choose the latter.

i found that isn’t always the case. Sometimes I will see the same “album” multiple times but the production quality is not the same. Sometimes the CD quality is better. I have also found sometimes that 24/96 sounds better than 24/192. .

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #5,327 of 12,975
i found that isn’t always the case. Sometimes I will see the same “album” multiple times but the production quality is not the same. Sometimes the CD quality is better. I have also found sometimes that 24/96 sounds better than 24/192. .

I noticed that as well…
I read that obviously Hi-Res recordings are actually produced differently than the normal cd quality. The producers give the artists different versions of their music.
Especially in modern music, productions are about dynamic compression and loudness war. If a recording should sound louder then you have to compress it. The disadvantage of this is that you lose some of the dynamic range. The dynamic range is the quietest to the loudest part of a song.

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,329 of 12,975
Some albums just sound better in general. I don't really lose too much sleep over whether it's Hi-Res or not. If i can get it in Hi-Res, I listen to it in Hi-Res. I consider it a bonus. Music comes first.

The demand determines the offer. I would like to see more people buying Hi-Res audio. Maybe we should spend some more money on good quality.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #5,330 of 12,975
I would like to see more people buying Hi-Res audio. Maybe we should spend some more money on good quality.

Yeah but I don't want to buy physical copies, or a set of "digital" copies. It makes no sense in a connected world where we all share music anyway. It's better that we stream music and listen a la carte per month, which I shell out 240-480 dollars a year to do.

In that world, it's not my wallet that determines whether I hear it in Hi-Res, it's up to the labels to provide an MQA version to Tidal or a suitable Hi-Res version to Qobuz.

I won't dismiss your way of listening, but it's a model that is over, more or less, except for collectors. The mass market and the labels have embraced streaming.

Today, artists can get live metrics on who is listening, when, and where, to their music. I assume labels can as well. That's not possible the old economy way. Also everyone was just stealing everything, mostly.

Anyway, going off topic, my bad. Doing some sick listening on Voltron with the Empyrean tonight. Jessy Lanza - Pull my hair back. Sounds lush.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #5,331 of 12,975
Streaming music might seem somewhat natural because it's so easy nowadays, but have anyone thought about the environmental impact of it? Streaming music or videos is generating tons of data traffic on the web, which uses massive amount of energy. Definitely not a Co2 neutral practice. But from the comfort of our living rooms, it's very difficult to perceive...

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #5,335 of 12,975
:L3000:
You saw Allman Brothers live in 1971?! :sweat_smile:
Then you must already have reached a biblical age. You must not tap too fast or you will get arthritis.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I, on the other hand, am in the bloom of my time. Strong and healthy. But German men are generally very strong. Very tough and strong…:wink:
Yea yea....we discoverd that in 1939

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #5,336 of 12,975
More
noise
inn a computer

I doubt you would hear it, but if so you could always buy an Ethernet isolator, which I have and are not expensive. Much better soundstage with it as well.

Thank you in the dark ages. Every streamer and streamers up to 20 grand use ethernet. I have albums that I stream and sound better than the same ones that I have ripped to FLAK.

Have to believe either you never actually tried it, and your philosophizing on it, or are you tried it and there’s something wrong with your system, because there’s no way you should hear any noise.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,337 of 12,975
Streaming music might seem somewhat natural because it's so easy nowadays, but have anyone thought about the environmental impact of it? Streaming music or videos is generating tons of data traffic on the web, which uses massive amount of energy. Definitely not a Co2 neutral practice. But from the comfort of our living rooms, it's very difficult to perceive...

OMG!!

The Headfi version of the Green New Deal.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,338 of 12,975
I doubt you would hear it, but if so you could always buy an Ethernet isolator, which I have and are not expensive. Much better soundstage with it as well.

Thank you in the dark ages. Every streamer and streamers up to 20 grand use ethernet. I have albums that I stream and sound better than the same ones that I have ripped to FLAK.

Have to believe either you never actually tried it, and your philosophizing on it, or are you tried it and there’s something wrong with your system, because there’s no way you should hear any noise.
I have done the hole rute my friend....and you have no use for ethernet isolator....its already built in... sorry but thats snake oil..i have tried myself

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,340 of 12,975
And yes....i can hear every change to my system...always...or i would never be in this hobby.

Sorry to hear about your hearing. Hospitals use the isolators to cut down on noise on their medical equipment. That’s where these originated from. From the industry. I’m sure they don’t think it’s Snakeoil. However you’re welcome to have your own opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back