Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 3, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5,266 of 12,974
Are any of the other totl headphones this hard to get. Seems like the Empyrean sells out very quick. I waited a long time to receive mine.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #5,267 of 12,974
Hey guys have any of you heard if the Empyreans are shipping out again or if they are still behind? I purchased a pair 5 - 6 weeks ago and was just curious if anyone else was in the same situation and received theirs or not?
Are any of the other totl headphones this hard to get. Seems like the Empyrean sells out very quick. I waited a long time to receive mine.
Well, there have been waits for new ZMF cans, but not as long as waits for Empy have been once the ZMF pre-order back-logs cleared. I wonder if Meze production is constrained by their supplier (Rinaro)?

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #5,268 of 12,974
Well, there have been waits for new ZMF cans, but not as long as waits for Empy have been once the ZMF pre-order back-logs cleared. I wonder if Meze production is constrained by their supplier (Rinaro)?

That makes zero sense. What’s the point of that? To lose business? You only restrict supply to increase price, and that’s not happening here.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,269 of 12,974
That makes zero sense. What’s the point of that? To lose business? You only restrict supply to increase price, and that’s not happening here.
Sorry, I guess I wasn’t clear. I meant that perhaps Rinaro isn’t producing drivers quickly enough to keep up w/ Meze’s demand. Just speculation with no factual basis.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #5,271 of 12,974
No, I just think Meze and maybe Rinaro just cannot get their act together as far as supply chain and manufacturing. Great as far as the initial design, but now it seems like just cannot get it together. Hell look at the pad thing.......over one year, they cannot get a new GD pad out (besides the vegan). In not only this industry but in any industry, you have to strike while you are hot.

They have a well deserved hype but soon, their 15 minutes of fame on the same design will be up. Competition is now fierce in the same price range......Rosson, ZMF, Audeze,,,,,not to mention the new Heddphone is due soon at $2K. You have to get the product out there and sell as many as you can while you can. Big delays send people elsewhere. Also..... ZMF is a totally different situation. They are custom, handmade headphones. You can choose different options, hence the long waits. The Empy is not custom made.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #5,272 of 12,974
No, I just think Meze and maybe Rinaro just cannot get their act together as far as supply chain and manufacturing. Great as far as the initial design, but now it seems like just cannot get it together. Hell look at the pad thing.......over one year, they cannot get a new GD pad out (besides the vegan). In not only this industry but in any industry, you have to strike while you are hot.

Also..... ZMF is a totally different situation. They are custom, handmade headphones. You can choose different options, hence the long waits. The Empy is not custom made.

The Empy is not custom made?!
I doubt that. The isodynamic driver of the emyprean was adapted (customized) in cooperation with Rinaro for Meze. Rinaro has combined new and different voice coil configurations here. That is the first Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver in a planar magnetic headphone (patent pending!). The driver of Empyrean has individual switchback and spiral-shaped voice coils. The diaphragm is manufactured from a custom developed isotropic thermally stabilized polymer with a conductive layer.

if the manufacturer of Zmf drivers closes then zach may still produce furniture but no more headphones. Do not get me wrong I would also buy a table from zach he is certainly a nice guy and he obviously has talent but basically he is just as dependent on the industry as other manufacturers.There are still very few manufacturers of headphones that are really independent. To develop a headphone driver you first need a laboratory and natural scientists and engineers. Zmf does not have such resources.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #5,273 of 12,974
The Empy is not custom made?!
I doubt that. The isodynamic driver of the emyprean was adapted (customized) in cooperation with Rinaro for Meze. Rinaro has combined new and different voice coil configurations here. That is the first Isodynamic Hybrid Array Driver in a planar magnetic headphone (patent pending!). The driver of Empyrean has individual switchback and spiral-shaped voice coils. The diaphragm is manufactured from a custom developed isotropic thermally stabilized polymer with a conductive layer.

if the manufacturer of Zmf drivers closes then zach may still produce furniture but no more headphones. Do not get me wrong I would also buy a table from zach he is certainly a nice guy and he obviously has talent but basically he is just as dependent on the industry as other manufacturers.There are still very few manufacturers of headphones that are really independent. To develop a headphone driver you first need a laboratory and natural scientists and engineers. ZMF does not have such resources.
What is the definition of a 'custom made' headphone?

At this level we talk about 1000-2000 pieces sold worldwide at maximum. Meze might be able to afford to have a bigger stock of the Empyrean than ZMF of the Verite, just because Meze is a slightly bigger company. ZMF cans on the other hand are much more customisable with all the different woods if someone is into those kind of things. ZMF is almost like ordering a musical instrument, with definitely more options for customisation than the Empyrean. Empyrean cup is machine made (although it is a long process), ZMF cup is hand carved. However under 2000 Empyreans sold we still can't really talk about mass production. Empyrean is still a unique product developed for the 0.003% of the world's population. ZMF has more options to customise, so back to our original question: what is the definition of a custom made headphone? Is it about the number of units sold, the ability to customise your order or the amount of 'handmade' work going into it?

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #5,274 of 12,974
What is the definition of a 'custom made' headphone?

At this level we talk about 1000-2000 pieces sold worldwide at maximum. Meze might be able to afford to have a bigger stock of the Empyrean than ZMF of the Verite, just because Meze is a slightly bigger company. ZMF cans on the other hand are much more customisable with all the different woods if someone is into those kind of things. ZMF is almost like ordering a musical instrument, with definitely more options for customisation than the Empyrean. Empyrean cup is machine made (although it is a long process), ZMF cup is hand carved. However under 2000 Empyreans sold we still can't really talk about mass production. Empyrean is still a unique product developed for the 0.003% of the world's population. ZMF has more options to customise, so back to our original question: what is the definition of a custom made headphone? Is it about the number of units sold, the ability to customise your order or the amount of 'handmade' work going into it?

I find your question basically interesting.
The heart of a headphone is the driver. The driver of Empyrean was customized by Rinaro for Meze. In this case, this is especially true because there are new technical innovations in this driver. I explained that in my previous post. In Germany there is a certain seal of approval for handmade (Deutsche-Manufakturen, Handmade-in-Germany). This initiative recognizes products of exceptional value and quality. Handmade in Germany stands for authenticity and luxury in the sense of exclusive products. Burmester Audio is partner of this initiative.
I do not think that Zmf would fulfill the requirements.The drivers of Zmf do not even come from America.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #5,275 of 12,974
The heart of a headphone is the driver. The driver of Empyrean was customized by Rinaro for Meze. In this case, this is especially true because there are new technical innovations in this driver. I explained that in my previous post. In Germany there is a certain seal of approval for handmade (Deutsche-Manufakturen, Handmade-in-Germany). This initiative recognizes products of exceptional value and quality. Handmade in Germany stands for authenticity and luxury in the sense of exclusive products. Burmester Audio is partner of this initiative.
I do not think that Zmf would fulfill the requirements.The drivers of Zmf do not even come from America.
By custom order I mean that ZMF headphones are made to order per the customer’s specifications. The Empyrean is not....heck I cannot even order the Black Gold version, because they’re are not exporting it to to the US at this time. Oh and Zach as I understand used to make musical instruments....acoustic guitars.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,276 of 12,974
Rinaro drivers were custom developed for Meze. ZMF headphones are custom made for customer's order. Customisation happens on a different level. It is like Mercedes AMG developing an engine for Aston Martin or an Audi buyer choosing their leather interior and chassis finish.
I think the definition of a custom made product lies in the ability of the end user to have their order custom made to their unique preferences. Handmade is a completely different story compared to custom made, and even the definition of a handmade product might be slightly different in other countries than Germany.
While most custom made products are hand made at the same time, most hand made products are not custom made.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,277 of 12,974
The real answer is that no one knows why there is stock, or no stock, or any a given lead time, etc. Also the financial situation of a given company, their margins, cash flow, and how much inventory they are willing to hold onto as opposed to having free cash. You can only speculate, but that’s all it is.

For me personally, if there was something that I really wanted, and it was out of stock, then I will would wait for it. Why would I buy something else in its place?

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #5,278 of 12,974
....heck I cannot even order the Black Gold version, because they’re are not exporting it to to the US at this time.
Ha Ha...:stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously I do not understand that either.
...and the color combination is called black copper.:smile:

...Oh and Zach as I understand used to make musical instruments....acoustic guitars.

Okay then I'll take that back with the furniture.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #5,279 of 12,974
Ha Ha...:stuck_out_tongue:
Seriously I do not understand that either.
...and the color combination is called black copper.:smile:

Okay then I'll take that back with the furniture.
Yeah that's it Black Copper. All I know is I cannot get it here. Maybe I will have you buy it for me. Ha!

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #5,280 of 12,974
I think the definition of a custom made product lies in the ability of the end user to have their order custom made to their unique preferences.

The choice of different types of wood is ultimately only a different color choice. Empy is also available in three color versions (gunmetal, black copper, silver). But there are more options for customization at ZMF (grilles, chassis and etc).

...Handmade is a completely different story compared to custom made, and even the definition of a handmade product might be slightly different in other countries than Germany.

Handmade definitely set the bar higher. It is not just about the development but also about where the products are produced. In 2019 it actually seems a bit outdated. But I really appreciate a company like Audeze. I hope Audeze remains an exclusive manufacturer. I have a weakness for expensive electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back