Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #5,251 of 12,974
Before I pull the trigger on the ZMF Verite, would the ZMF be different enough in SQ from my beloved Empy's to make these 2 a nice complimentary pair of headphones?
I have never heard the verite but have the auteur. The auteur is not that far away from the empyrean.

Based on my auteur, if that helps, I would look at something like (IF it suits you) the hd800 or hekse or v2 (as a cheaper option) or focal elear potentially. I guess I’m saying something detailed but on the brighter side. Again if that suits you

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #5,252 of 12,974
Before I pull the trigger on the ZMF Verite, would the ZMF be different enough in SQ from my beloved Empy's to make these 2 a nice complimentary pair of headphones?
They are similar sounding in that they are both warm, relaxing and non fatiguing headphones. The Verite has a natural sound typical of a dynamic and the Empy has that Planar slam. Both very comfortable . Now if you want something totally different then look into something like a Hifiman HEK or Utopia. Those would be more analytical sounding vs the relaxed sounding Empy. I like both the the Empy and the Verite, because of their relaxed yet accurate sound signatures.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #5,253 of 12,974
In my case I like the Verite a little more, which you'll find is the norm with people with those two hp. I don't know what you listtrying oen to. I listen to primarily edm. Through iTunes and both hp are amazing with lower res material. When I put my flac from foobar both are even better. On flac is mainly indie, pop, and rock. I listen to both equally. Currently using the Empy's. Friday I'll be back to the Verite trying out the ZMF Pendant. I'm into having so much gear for instance I run my HE6se off my home threater rig because I need the 200 watts rms for that hp but that's another story.
If you do decide don't limit your first experience to one of the ear pads. For me the Verite pads are my favorite.

If you get bored of one hp you just switch. Veite got bass midrange highs imaging soundstage on and on.

good luck I'd look at the VC as well.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #5,255 of 12,974
Why don't you go with one headphone and use the additional funds to upgrade for a better amp or DAC?

Thanks ken6217, I actually have done just that. Maybe not to a SOTA degree but some pretty good gear IMO. Really not looking at more upgrades in amp DAC at this point.

When I first bought the Empy's I was using the Sabre DAC section (line out) of the Oppo HA-2SE and the Liquid Platinum amp with some pretty nice tubes. I then bought the GS-X mini for a nice step up before adding a Chord Qutest and found that upgrade to be HUGE! I don't doubt there are better amps and DAC's. There is ALWAYS something 'better' in every hobby. I am really very happy with how the Empy's sound with the mini and Qutest.

I'm just considering something as good or better than the Empy's and fairly comfortable as well............ that's all.

How many folks have only ONE hp??? not many!!!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #5,256 of 12,974
Thanks ken6217, I actually have done just that. Maybe not to a SOTA degree but some pretty good gear IMO. Really not looking at more upgrades in amp DAC at this point.

When I first bought the Empy's I was using the Sabre DAC section (line out) of the Oppo HA-2SE and the Liquid Platinum amp with some pretty nice tubes. I then bought the GS-X mini for a nice step up before adding a Chord Qutest and found that upgrade to be HUGE! I don't doubt there are better amps and DAC's. There is ALWAYS something 'better' in every hobby. I am really very happy with how the Empy's sound with the mini and Qutest.

I'm just considering something as good or better than the Empy's and fairly comfortable as well............ that's all.

How many folks have only ONE hp??? not many!!!

NICE!!! :)
I haven’t heard the gsx mini but from what i have read having that and the qutest sets you up perfectly for pumping money into headphones without worrying about upgrading the dac and amp......for now :)

good powerful amp and clean dac - great setup IMHO

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #5,258 of 12,974
Thanks @thecrow! Yes, I think I'm fine for now with the amp and DAC.
Just want (I sure don't NEED) another hp.
I will sell the E2 at some point and gave away my original Audioquest Nighthawks to a friend for his first hp.
I completely agree with @mixman here:

"They are similar sounding in that they are both warm, relaxing and non fatiguing headphones. The Verite has a natural sound typical of a dynamic and the Empy has that Planar slam. Both very comfortable . Now if you want something totally different then look into something like a Hifiman HEK or Utopia. Those would be more analytical sounding vs the relaxed sounding Empy. I like both the the Empy and the Verite, because of their relaxed yet accurate sound signatures."

I personally like the Empy a bit more than the Verite.

Oct 31, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #5,259 of 12,974
We all seek different percentages depending on personal taste. Perhaps depending on mood as well, if someone is intending to build up a collection of headphones.
When it comes to flagship headphones, the expectation on technicalities are very high. Look at the HE1000SE, Utopia, LCD4 for example. These represent the expected flagship technicalities. But what about musicality? IMO the aforementioned three flagships contain musicality to different extent but musicality never exceeds 50%.
IMO in the case of the Empyrean we have the first flagship which is highly technical and highly musical at the same time. Perhaps a bit more musical than technical, which really is a first if you look at the present flagship range. I think we could say that the Empyrean is the most musical flagship with the highest amount of technicalities so we can still call it a flagship. The Empyrean is the most technical headphone that I ever truly liked. I tend to choose musicality versus technicalities. I chose the LCD2C versus the Clear. I chose the Nighthawk versus the HD600. I chose the technically weaker headphones because they connected me with music in a stronger way. I tried many flagships, but never felt this joyful connection with music that I feel with the Empyrean. And yet, the Empyrean is the most technical headphone I have ever tried offering this indefinable connection with music. I enjoy the technical side of the Empyrean even though it is perhaps a tad behind other (more expensive) flagships, but to me none of the others offer this level of musicality.

At the end of the day I want to relax and enjoy music. Yes, I love and enjoy technicalities too but not on the expense of loosing musical connection. The Empyrean for me seems to hit my personal sweet spot in this regard. Especially with a good source like the TT2 and a silver cable.

P.S.: Another thing that comes to my mind regarding the detail retrieval of the Empyrean is that a lot of gear and headphones shove details in your brain by being bright or harsh. Some of the warmer and more natural sounding gear have actually the same level of details, it is just not shoved down your ears. Instead the details are there for you to discover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #5,261 of 12,974
We all seek different percentages depending on personal taste. Perhaps depending on mood as well, if someone is intending to build up a collection of headphones.
When it comes to flagship headphones, the expectation on technicalities are very high. Look at the HE1000SE, Utopia, LCD4 for example. These represent the expected flagship technicalities. But what about musicality? IMO the aforementioned three flagships contain musicality to different extent but musicality never exceeds 50%.
IMO in the case of the Empyrean we have the first flagship which is highly technical and highly musical at the same time. Perhaps a bit more musical than technical, which really is a first if you look at the present flagship range. I think we could say that the Empyrean is the most musical flagship with the highest amount of technicalities so we can still call it a flagship. The Empyrean is the most technical headphone that I ever truly liked. I tend to choose musicality versus technicalities. I chose the LCD2C versus the Clear. I chose the Nighthawk versus the HD600. I chose the technically weaker headphones because they connected me with music in a stronger way. I tried many flagships, but never felt this joyful connection with music that I feel with the Empyrean. And yet, the Empyrean is the most technical headphone I have ever tried offering this indefinable connection with music. I enjoy the technical side of the Empyrean even though it is perhaps a tad behind other (more expensive) flagships, but to me none of the others offer this level of musicality.

At the end of the day I want to relax and enjoy music. Yes, I love and enjoy technicalities too but not on the expense of loosing musical connection. The Empyrean for me seems to hit my personal sweet spot in this regard. Especially with a good source like the TT2 and a silver cable.

P.S.: Another thing that comes to my mind regarding the detail retrieval of the Empyrean is that a lot of gear and headphones shove details in your brain by being bright or harsh. Some of the warmer and more natural sounding gear have actually the same level of details, it is just not shoved down your ears. Instead the details are there for you to discover.
you can say that but i wouldn't. i'm not sure what you mean by "musicality" or how you attach a percentage to it. it's not a descriptor that i find meaningful or use. all headphones reproduce music and i find some more engaging than others. while i found the empyrean pleasant enough, i didn't find it as engaging as the utopia or abyss diana when i compared them. it's been quite some time since i heard the lcd4 but i remember being impressed by its sound despite the weight.

anyway, i'm pleased to see that more folks who have tried/owned the empyrean are posting their impressions and comparisons here.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #5,262 of 12,974
I could be wrong but I think that i have been getting an impression over the last month or so that @betula has been enjoying and is enamoured by his empy....just a little :)
E7EC4037-BDF9-4D67-81AB-186336E1E425.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-2_14-26-4.gif
    upload_2019-11-2_14-26-4.gif
    179.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #5,263 of 12,974
I could be wrong but I think that i have been getting an impression over the last month or so that @betula has been enjoying and is enamoured by his empy....just a little :)
love-luv-falling-in-3oEhmK5PD21Of23JBK

Yes, @betula is a indeed a fan but this is a Empy forum and there should be posts of sincere praise as well as those not as taken by these hp. What I like about @betula's posts is he not only gives his opinion, but elaborates with why he feels the way he does. I am also a big Empy fan but do not have his descriptive skills or analysis..............I just LIKE what I am hearing!

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #5,264 of 12,974
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #5,265 of 12,974
Hey guys have any of you heard if the Empyreans are shipping out again or if they are still behind? I purchased a pair 5 - 6 weeks ago and was just curious if anyone else was in the same situation and received theirs or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back