Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Aug 11, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #4,516 of 12,974
Oh man... Someone really has to do a Benchmark vs Chord stack comparison with the empy.. Haha!

Aug 11, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #4,517 of 12,974
Awesome post, betula. I've been listening to the Empy with TT2 + M Scaler lately and my heavens...it is...incredibly enjoyable.
I've been using Schiit gear all the time I've had my Empy, but at a local audio store I got a chance to hear it with some Chord gear (don't remember which, but not Dave) and the sound was amazing! The owner was trying to get an M Scaler as well for customers to try, but I think I've already decided to save my pennies for both the TT2 and M Scaler as my next (last?) upgrade. :L3000:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

#makethebeerchugBIGagain

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #4,518 of 12,974
I've been using Schiit gear all the time I've had my Empy, but at a local audio store I got a chance to hear it with some Chord gear (don't remember which, but not Dave) and the sound was amazing! The owner was trying to get an M Scaler as well for customers to try, but I think I've already decided to save my pennies for both the TT2 and M Scaler as my next (last?) upgrade. :L3000:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

#makethebeerchugBIGagain

The TT2 would be the one DAC I would give up my RME for. It would great if I have mostly easy to drive headphones so that is all I would need to drive them and not have to get an expensive headamp too.

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #4,519 of 12,974
I just listened to the tt2/mscaler combo.

It just brought the empy to a whole new level. The empy no longer feels laid back. Its presentation and clarity feels on par with the utopia. At the same time, the bass impact, tightness and texture are all improved. The airiness and the ambience of the music is just insane!

20190813_153504.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #4,520 of 12,974
No, it is not. It is a random oak omega headphone stand from Amazon called 'Kalibri' (had to check the name). I swapped my AudioQuest Perch for this as I was a bit worried about dust getting into the transducers and this omega stand seemed like a good enough solution to prevent that happening.

Also, as I have limited space on my desktop I wanted to put the stand on the top of my TT2. The base of the AQ perch is made of metal, and I would have been worried about accidental scratches. With oak it is not an issue.
This stand looks better with my setup and it is even cheaper than the (otherwise great) Perch stand. I just wish it was 1 cm taller for the cables...

Monkey see, monkey do... :D

Kalibri.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I see what youre saying about its height, but it's still a bargain.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #4,521 of 12,974

Thanks for the tip! I see what youre saying about its height, but it's still a bargain.

Not only but bargain, but also a better fit for some headphones like the Audioquest birds and Sennheiser 6-series than most others because it is wide enough to support the whole headband, the cups, and also narrow enough in the lower part to allow for a natural, no pressure position.

Apparently a good fit for the Empyrean too.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,522 of 12,974
Not only but bargain, but also a better fit for some headphones like the Audioquest birds and Sennheiser 6-series than most others because it is wide enough to support the whole headband, the cups, and also narrow enough in the lower part to allow for a natural, no pressure position.

Apparently a good fit for the Empyrean too.

we-ell, just about. with my size noggin, the cups are just about far enough down that the cable pushes up on the feet of the stand and that makes them sit ever so slightly loose on the side of the stand, leaving a tiny gap. thinking that is what betula also meant. i guess careful positioning helps though

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #4,523 of 12,974

Haha! I am glad it worked out for you too. :) It does take some careful positioning but for me its fine. My main purpose was to cover the cups.

Amazing setup, isn't it? I can't stop listening to the Empy with the TT2. :)
IMG_20190728_141226047.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #4,525 of 12,974
Hello,

I was wondering if before picking the TT2 you tried the hugo2 first and evaluate how much it was with TT2.
If yes could you give some insight?
I have tried the Hugo2 with different headphones but not with the Empy. H2 is already an awesome sounding equipment, and it is said to be a very good combo with the Empy.
In the TT2 thread you can find more comparisons between H2 and TT2 with an overwhelming preference to the TT2 (no surprise there).

TT2 is obviously better than H2, although I never had the chance to directly compare them. All you can do is audition a TT2 and decide if it is worth the price for you.
Before TT2 I used Qutest with an amp which obviously differs from the H2 a bit (because of the amp as the DAC is identical to H2), but the upgrade to me was well worth it.

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,527 of 12,974
Does anyone know if Meze will transfer the warranty if I were to buy a used unit? I've picked up a used Hugo 2 and am tempted to do the same for the Empyrean. From what I've seen it looks like used Empyreans trade hands for around $2,200. I could get used Empyreans and used Andromedas for the same price as new Empyreans.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #4,528 of 12,974
2019-08-12 10.50.19 1.jpg
2019-08-12 10.48.00 1.jpg

Joined the family

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #4,530 of 12,974

Users who are viewing this thread

Back