Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #3,977 of 12,975
I was hoping for some Empyrean news this CanJam, but it seems not, from Jude preview.
Possibilities would be new earpads, new cables and new headphones, for example a cheaper version (1.5K), with same drivers but plastic cups which would cut both cost and weight.
But at least I was expecting news about the gold color scheme, awaited by many. During first run Meze said they might do it on future runs, but never happened. I wonder if the reason Meze droped it after being the original scheme, is related to the golden color not keeping well with aging. My Focal Clear silver grid did loose its original shine just a few months after unpacked, it was really more beatiful at that time.
I think if Meze releases a headphone with the same drivers as Empyrean at half price there might be a few disgruntled people... I know I personally wouldn't be too happy, even if it was built with cheaper cup materials.

New pads that have been confirmed are pretty exciting though, would hope to hear something about them soon!

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,979 of 12,975
Why would Meze cannibalize their own line? That makes less than zero sense.
Do all other manufactures cannibalize their own lines when they offer more than one model? Did the Clear cannibalize the Utopia? Maybe so, many people did not buy the Utopia because of the Clear. On the other hand Focal sells much much more headphones this way. Also, it seems it is the CNC machining that adds more manufacturing time to Empyrean production, meaning they probably could produce (and sell) much more headphones without the complex CNC parts.
But I don't know why I am discussing this, :) I am happy to buy the current CNC model, but I might prefer the gold grid version...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #3,980 of 12,975
I think if Meze releases a headphone with the same drivers as Empyrean at half price there might be a few disgruntled people... I know I personally wouldn't be too happy, even if it was built with cheaper cup materials.
Many people felt that way when the Clear was released one year after the Utopia, as many people prefer the Clear to the Utopia... which I think would not be the case here, less price but for a more clear lesser product.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #3,981 of 12,975
Yeah but it’s not the same headphone for half the price. The poster above said the same drivers that made cheaper yes to me sounds like it will be the same sound signature. The Focal headphones don’t all sound the same.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #3,982 of 12,975
Yeah but it’s not the same headphone for half the price. The poster above said the same drivers that made cheaper yes to me sounds like it will be the same sound signature. The Focal headphones don’t all sound the same.
It would not sound the same. Plastic cups can not hold the same sound, there are resonances, reflections and rigidity. The Empyrean CNC body is not only for the aesthetics, Meze said so.
Most premium HPs use wood or metal, fewer use plastic, not only for the aesthetics. For example Sony has the 7Z (plastic) and Z1R (special cups that Sony says are crucial to the sound signature).

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #3,987 of 12,975
I have just read/rolled through the thread. Just like in any other threads on Head-Fi, it is very hard to find the actually useful information which is around 25%.
Still gives you an overall picture I guess which is good.

My Empyrean is arriving next week, so in the meantime I thought I share some of my experience how I got here and a few thoughts after reading comments in this thread.

I like my bass to be as perfect as possible over anything else. A smooth, natural, detailed but spacious sound is also important for me. I am sensitive to treble, so the higher frequencies must be tame and rounded but as detailed as possible.

My budget is also limited, I can't afford to collect TOTL headphones, I can (and want to) only keep one.

In my last 1.5 years in audio I settled down with the Audeze LCD2C. I prefer the 2C to the LCD2F and to the LCD3. No other headphones produce bass like Audeze and as you have just read it is pretty much my top priority due to the main music genres I listen to. (Ambient, psychedelic electronica.) I listen to many other genres as well but to a smaller extent.

While settling down with the LCD2C I did two things: 1, never stopped upgrading my DAC and amp, 2, never stopped challenging the 2C with other headphones from the £1000-1500 price range.

Regarding point 1, the LCD2C scales extremely well. From 'lower-end' gear like Mojo or iDSD BL it can sound hazy, thin, bloated or unbalanced. Qutest with the CMA600i improved the sound a lot. Clarity, spaciousness, detail, balance all improved. And then the Taurus MKII replacing my CMA600i lifted the sound truly to another level. The most significant improvement was the clarity and definition in bass.

I think perhaps the most significant factor of a better gear is how it delivers bass.

While I upgraded my system as you have just read, I kept challenging my 2C with other headphones. I tried the Focal Clear, LCD2f, LCD3, ZMF Aeolus, Atticus, Eikon, Verite, Aeon Flow Open, Closed, HEX V2, HE6 and others.

Keep in mind at home I had the Qutest and Taurus MKII at this point which to my experience equals to an improved LCD2C compared to most LCD2C owners who experience these headphones from much lower-end amps.

To cut a long story short, I found the Clear amazing at first but too energetic and in-your-face to live with. Not to mention that the very last bit of bass extension was missing that only planar headphones can offer. I preferred the stronger bass of the 2C vs. the 2F. I found the LCD3 a bit weird. I appreciate the ZMF line, they are great if not the best for certain people. I don't listen much to acoustic music and I need a planar driver to give me the last drops of bass extension so ZMF is out of the game for me. I was pretty disappointed in both the AFO and AFC. Small soundstage, small earpads. Ok sound but claustrophobic. I much prefer the boldness of Audeze. Big sound, perfect bass, comfy huge earpads even though the headphones are heavy. HEXV2 was impressive with an awesome size of soundstage but lacked focus and bass impact and detail. Sounded diffuse, too airy. Great headphones though, again, for some.

When I was challenging my LCD2C with the Aeolus, I actually tried the Empyrean and the LCD4 as a side activity. This audition was done with a TT2 and MScaler. As being a bit disappointed (for my personal needs) with the ZMF line, I gave a try to the LCD4 and Empy.

ZMF later on told me they do not consider the TT2 as a good enough source/amp to drive their headphones, so take my experience with a grain of salt. Anyway, I just felt the bass performance of the Aeolus or even the Verite was not on pair even with my LCD2C. (Although in other areas like natural timbre ZMF sounded better.)
To my understanding ZMF headphones need powerful tube amps. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes to a TT2/MScaler combo, but I am just a small fish in this pond releasing personal experience/information.

Anyway, from my entire audition experience the Empyrean was the one that stood out. I was convinced, this is the best sound I have ever heard. I simply couldn't find a fault with them. Great 3D space where I was able to pinpoint instruments with the greatest accuracy. Bass as good as you can expect. Smooth, fleshy sound. Clear, detailed but at the same time not without soul. A little bit warm, a little bit smooth. Nicely rounded. In a word: FAULTLESS. Which is actually hard to describe. It is just 'great'...

When I compared the Empyrean straight to the LCD4 it was not a contest for me. One thing is that the LCD4 is heavy as f@ck. Much heavier than my LCD2C.
I did prefer the LCD4 to my LCD2C sound-wise. The LCD4 just sounds cleaner, clearer, more detailed and more dynamic. I really did like the sound.
But the Empyrean to me just sounded more natural and airier with pretty much equally good bass. Bass on the Empy may be a bit thicker and less detailed, the LCD4 may be a bit cleaner but the difference is not huge. I am a bass freak and I can live happily with Empy's bass forever I think.

The biggest difference between LCD4 and Empy to my ears was in the upper mids/treble region. While the LCD4 is quite detailed, this upper frequency on the Empy sounds more natural, more lifelike. It feels like there is a shadow/recess on the LCD4 covering these upper frequencies.

To me the choice is obvious between LCD4 and Empy.
I am still curious though if there is much difference between LCD4 and LCD4Z? I love the look of the LCD4Z and I love bass.

A couple of thoughts about Empy's pricing:
After reading this thread it becomes pretty obvious that the Empy is playing in the highest leagues. LCD4Z, Susvara, HE1000SE, Abyss...
Just a humble thought, that the Empy is the most 'affordable' out of this bunch.
Yes, £2690 is still an absolutely horrendous asking price, but compared to the competition it is not bad. (Shameless world we live in, ain't we?) To a budget conscious head-fier like me £1000 makes a huge difference. Life and death in certain scenarios. :)
So even though I prefer the LCD2C (with quality gear) to other headphones around £1500, the price of the LCD4Z which is £3600 makes me think twice when the retail price for the Empyrean is £2699. And with some luck and good negotiation you can draw it very close to £2000. The 4Z definitely doesn't worth £1200 more than the Empy. At least not to me.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the Empyrean on my home system next week but I am 99.9% sure that for my taste, my hearing and my needs with my music it is the best possible choice in 2019 out of any headphones available. And hopefully for another 3-5 years I am settled. :)

More to come when my beauties arrive from Germany after negotiating a great price from one of the official retailers from the good old continent.
Retailers in the UK were stiff and firm on the price, almost rude. I will never approach Hifonix again for example.
This German fellow on the other hand was surprisingly opened on Meze's retail pricing and we agreed on a spectacular deal.

I seriously think I reached my endgame for the next 3-5 years.
The only thing I am wondering about is swapping my Qutest/Taurus MKII for a Chord TT2.

I didn't like like the 99 Classic, I think it was too coloured, too bassy, badly balanced and not detailed enough. The Empyrean has just made me a faithful believer and follower of Meze. :D
Thank you Antonio. :wink:

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #3,988 of 12,975
I have just read/rolled through the thread. Just like in any other threads on Head-Fi, it is very hard to find the actually useful information which is around 25%.
Still gives you an overall picture I guess which is good.

My Empyrean is arriving next week, so in the meantime I thought I share some of my experience how I got here and a few thoughts after reading comments in this thread.

I like my bass to be as perfect as possible over anything else. A smooth, natural, detailed but spacious sound is also important for me. I am sensitive to treble, so the higher frequencies must be tame and rounded but as detailed as possible.

My budget is also limited, I can't afford to collect TOTL headphones, I can (and want to) only keep one.

In my last 1.5 years in audio I settled down with the Audeze LCD2C. I prefer the 2C to the LCD2F and to the LCD3. No other headphones produce bass like Audeze and as you have just read it is pretty much my top priority due to the main music genres I listen to. (Ambient, psychedelic electronica.) I listen to many other genres as well but to a smaller extent.

While settling down with the LCD2C I did two things: 1, never stopped upgrading my DAC and amp, 2, never stopped challenging the 2C with other headphones from the £1000-1500 price range.

Regarding point 1, the LCD2C scales extremely well. From 'lower-end' gear like Mojo or iDSD BL it can sound hazy, thin, bloated or unbalanced. Qutest with the CMA600i improved the sound a lot. Clarity, spaciousness, detail, balance all improved. And then the Taurus MKII replacing my CMA600i lifted the sound truly to another level. The most significant improvement was the clarity and definition in bass.

I think perhaps the most significant factor of a better gear is how it delivers bass.

While I upgraded my system as you have just read, I kept challenging my 2C with other headphones. I tried the Focal Clear, LCD2f, LCD3, ZMF Aeolus, Atticus, Eikon, Verite, Aeon Flow Open, Closed, HEX V2, HE6 and others.

Keep in mind at home I had the Qutest and Taurus MKII at this point which to my experience equals to an improved LCD2C compared to most LCD2C owners who experience these headphones from much lower-end amps.

To cut a long story short, I found the Clear amazing at first but too energetic and in-your-face to live with. Not to mention that the very last bit of bass extension was missing that only planar headphones can offer. I preferred the stronger bass of the 2C vs. the 2F. I found the LCD3 a bit weird. I appreciate the ZMF line, they are great if not the best for certain people. I don't listen much to acoustic music and I need a planar driver to give me the last drops of bass extension so ZMF is out of the game for me. I was pretty disappointed in both the AFO and AFC. Small soundstage, small earpads. Ok sound but claustrophobic. I much prefer the boldness of Audeze. Big sound, perfect bass, comfy huge earpads even though the headphones are heavy. HEXV2 was impressive with an awesome size of soundstage but lacked focus and bass impact and detail. Sounded diffuse, too airy. Great headphones though, again, for some.

When I was challenging my LCD2C with the Aeolus, I actually tried the Empyrean and the LCD4 as a side activity. This audition was done with a TT2 and MScaler. As being a bit disappointed (for my personal needs) with the ZMF line, I gave a try to the LCD4 and Empy.

ZMF later on told me they do not consider the TT2 as a good enough source/amp to drive their headphones, so take my experience with a grain of salt. Anyway, I just felt the bass performance of the Aeolus or even the Verite was not on pair even with my LCD2C. (Although in other areas like natural timbre ZMF sounded better.)
To my understanding ZMF headphones need powerful tube amps. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes to a TT2/MScaler combo, but I am just a small fish in this pond releasing personal experience/information.

Anyway, from my entire audition experience the Empyrean was the one that stood out. I was convinced, this is the best sound I have ever heard. I simply couldn't find a fault with them. Great 3D space where I was able to pinpoint instruments with the greatest accuracy. Bass as good as you can expect. Smooth, fleshy sound. Clear, detailed but at the same time not without soul. A little bit warm, a little bit smooth. Nicely rounded. In a word: FAULTLESS. Which is actually hard to describe. It is just 'great'...

When I compared the Empyrean straight to the LCD4 it was not a contest for me. One thing is that the LCD4 is heavy as f@ck. Much heavier than my LCD2C.
I did prefer the LCD4 to my LCD2C sound-wise. The LCD4 just sounds cleaner, clearer, more detailed and more dynamic. I really did like the sound.
But the Empyrean to me just sounded more natural and airier with pretty much equally good bass. Bass on the Empy may be a bit thicker and less detailed, the LCD4 may be a bit cleaner but the difference is not huge. I am a bass freak and I can live happily with Empy's bass forever I think.

The biggest difference between LCD4 and Empy to my ears was in the upper mids/treble region. While the LCD4 is quite detailed, this upper frequency on the Empy sounds more natural, more lifelike. It feels like there is a shadow/recess on the LCD4 covering these upper frequencies.

To me the choice is obvious between LCD4 and Empy.
I am still curious though if there is much difference between LCD4 and LCD4Z? I love the look of the LCD4Z and I love bass.

A couple of thoughts about Empy's pricing:
After reading this thread it becomes pretty obvious that the Empy is playing in the highest leagues. LCD4Z, Susvara, HE1000SE, Abyss...
Just a humble thought, that the Empy is the most 'affordable' out of this bunch.
Yes, £2690 is still an absolutely horrendous asking price, but compared to the competition it is not bad. (Shameless world we live in, ain't we?) To a budget conscious head-fier like me £1000 makes a huge difference. Life and death in certain scenarios. :)
So even though I prefer the LCD2C (with quality gear) to other headphones around £1500, the price of the LCD4Z which is £3600 makes me think twice when the retail price for the Empyrean is £2699. And with some luck and good negotiation you can draw it very close to £2000. The 4Z definitely doesn't worth £1200 more than the Empy. At least not to me.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the Empyrean on my home system next week but I am 99.9% sure that for my taste, my hearing and my needs with my music it is the best possible choice in 2019 out of any headphones available. And hopefully for another 3-5 years I am settled. :)

More to come when my beauties arrive from Germany after negotiating a great price from one of the official retailers from the good old continent.
Retailers in the UK were stiff and firm on the price, almost rude. I will never approach Hifonix again for example.
This German fellow on the other hand was surprisingly opened on Meze's retail pricing and we agreed on a spectacular deal.

I seriously think I reached my endgame for the next 3-5 years.
The only thing I am wondering about is swapping my Qutest/Taurus MKII for a Chord TT2.

I didn't like like the 99 Classic, I think it was too coloured, too bassy, badly balanced and not detailed enough. The Empyrean has just made me a faithful believer and follower of Meze. :D
Thank you Antonio. :wink:
Great write up. I am on a similar journey. Oh that endgame status will last until Meze comes out with the Empyrean II in Gold!!!

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #3,989 of 12,975
Thank you betula for your report, very nice to read. One thing I am very interested in is the difference from Mojo to TT2 on Empy.
I may order the Empy soon, but like mixman I am holding for the gold version.
Regarding where to buy I always prefer to buy directly from manufacturer, even if I have to pay a little more. The fact that Meze sells directly and is in the EU as I am is a an additional big plus for me.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #3,990 of 12,975

New pads that have been confirmed are pretty exciting though, would hope to hear something about them soon!
So you’re saying you overpaid for what the empy gives you or that it’s not going to be good enough to keep and you don’t want your resale price to be affected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back