Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #3,421 of 12,974
Because balanced doesn't make a difference if the single ended implementation is done well? Unless you are sporting a 10 meter cable.

[ducks, runs out of room]
What do you mean doesn't make a difference, wouldn't it be better with a balanced amp x 2 with a balanced dac x 2.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #3,422 of 12,974
Yes the mini can take single ended out and then provide balanced out to headphones, thus enabling the use of existing Hugo 2 which makes one wonder "Why the heck didnt Chord make H2 output balanced to start with?" At that price point it should be capable of balanced out as well. IMHO

Chord doesn't (and many other manufacturers don't) believe that balanced is inherently better than SE.

Personally I think implementation trumps topology.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #3,423 of 12,974
Chord doesn't (and many other manufacturers don't) believe that balanced is inherently better than SE.

Personally I think implementation trumps topology.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #3,424 of 12,974
Well that is a great topic for discussion. As I have a great little Gilmore Lite Mark 2 amp and that thing rocks. And it is single-ended, but certainly does not seem to impede the 4z or i4 (or X for that matter) from sounding glorious. Really. So I ask myself: Is this something I REALLY need to do? I WANT to go balanced, but honestly my single-ended setup sounds pretty darn good.

Audiophile types are never truly satisfied, I suspect... And how about this: my Hugo 2 with GL Mk2 sounds better than the first gen Gungnir/ Mjolnir stack I used for several years, of which both were balanced.

Comments on the debate between balanced and SE welcome, but maybe should start a different thread to not de-rail this one. Apologies.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #3,425 of 12,974
I am not an expert on this, but there are quite a few threads here and elsewhere that reasonably argue that the only time balanced is better than single-ended is when the same amp has both and the balanced one basically gives more power. If the whole unit is constructed around the single-ended performance and the power it provides is a good match for your headphones, then unless you have a very, very long cable or noise/separation issues in your system, there is ZERO reason to go balanced. That is what the majority of these threads conclude.

Now, balanced seems to be increasing in popularity from week to week as far as I can tell. This here is a thread for a 3000 EUR headphone, so for people with a healthy amount of disposable income. These people don't necessarily want or have the money to buy another 4000 EUR unit to improve their sound, but since there is a level of addiction to buying gear in this hobby, getting a nicer cable and nicer set up is appealing. So it seems to me that more and more are switching to balanced cables and amps/dacs. In turn, the industry is responding providing balanced more and more. It would not surprise me if Hugo 3 is balanced, not because it would be better than a Hugo 3 single-ended, but because it tickles the customers the right way.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #3,427 of 12,974
the only time balanced is better than single-ended is when the same amp has both and the balanced one basically gives more power.
From what I've learned about amps (which admittedly is very limited) it seems that any manufacturer make a variety of compromised when designing...many are designed as balanced amps and have a SE output as a convenience. That doesen't necessarily mean the SE sounds bad, but most times it won't sound as good as the balanced out.

The reverse is also true, sometimes an amp is designed to be SE and they put a balanced out for convenience...I think that usually those are tube amps

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,429 of 12,974
I do know it is going to be near $3k cheaper to keep my single-ended configuration than the new amp and two new silver cables balanced. And SQ is way beyond acceptable. May just hold off and wait for some reviews on the GSX mini.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #3,430 of 12,974
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #3,431 of 12,974
Thanks for that link. Great information. Speaking of which: MH are you planning to acquire the Meze Empyrean for a review?

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #3,432 of 12,974
Because balanced doesn't make a difference if the single ended implementation is done well? Unless you are sporting a 10 meter cable.

[ducks, runs out of room]

It’s irresponsible to make an uninformed statement like that. It depends on the amp.

For example, the Violectric V281 balanced is significantly better than sounding and more powerful than single ended.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #3,433 of 12,974
It’s irresponsible to make an uninformed statement like that. It depends on the amp.

For example, the Violectric V281 balanced is significantly better than sounding and more powerful than single ended.

I did say if SE is done well. The v281 is a perfect example of an amp where the balanced output is done better than its SE. That was my point exactly. I don't mean to suggest that the SE on that amp is not done "well", just not as well as the balanced, from what I read. It sounds like you agree.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #3,435 of 12,974
I agree with the general sentiment tho that you do not need to upgrade an already high end stack just for a feature like balanced. Its not worth 3000 dollars plus. I use it because its the best output I have, period. If I only had SE I’d just use that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back