Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 9, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,331 of 12,974
Other few questions:

Do you suggest to replace the stock balanced cables or it's already good enough?

In the case I will go for the Violectric V280 and I will do eceverythi balanced...wha w kind of budget should I set for the xlr cables frok dac to amplifier? Any suggestion for specific model?

Again, my dac is Metrum Menuet level2.

Thanks
I replace the stock cable with labkable and its very enjoyable. My local stall have 0 stocks.need to pre order

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #3,333 of 12,974
Other few questions:

Do you suggest to replace the stock balanced cables or it's already good enough?

In the case I will go for the Violectric V280 and I will do eceverythi balanced...wha w kind of budget should I set for the xlr cables frok dac to amplifier? Any suggestion for specific model?

Again, my dac is Metrum Menuet level2.

Thanks

Stock cable is dark and restrictive sounding, pretty closed in feeling compared to a decent aftermarket model. It's not unlistenable by any means but once you hear better you won't want to go back. It's also kind of annoying in terms of ergonomics.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #3,335 of 12,974
Stock cable is dark and restrictive sounding, pretty closed in feeling compared to a decent aftermarket model. It's not unlistenable by any means but once you hear better you won't want to go back. It's also kind of annoying in terms of ergonomics.

Is the statement valid also for the balanced stock one?

Any suggestions for the aftermarket model?
Are the ones from customcans (UK website) any good? I live in Europe...

For the XLR signal cables (dac to Amp) I was thinking about Viablue NF-S1...

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #3,337 of 12,974
The stock cable isn’t balanced.
I ordered last week of Feb after Canjam from a US reatiler and dealer and I was offered to choose 1 cable out of 3 options and one of them was 4 pin Balanced

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #3,338 of 12,974
Unless we are talking about that really nice looking braided silver upgrade cable that Meze sells, the stock cable should otherwise be identical regardless of what sort of termination it has. I believe the basic configuration is 1/4" but they seem to make balanced as well - looks like same cable with a different plug on the end, which makes sense for them to do from a business standpoint.

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #3,339 of 12,974
Is the statement valid also for the balanced stock one?

Any suggestions for the aftermarket model?
Are the ones from customcans (UK website) any good? I live in Europe...

For the XLR signal cables (dac to Amp) I was thinking about Viablue NF-S1...

+1 for Forza cables, very nice ergonomics and a non crazy price.

Apr 10, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #3,341 of 12,974
Ok, I will check Forza for the headphone cable.

Any suggestions now for the XLR signal ones?

Are the Viablue NF-S1 good or should I look for something better?

If funds permit, try to find someone who makes cables using mono crystal 'OCC' silver, or cheaper OCC copper for reasonable(?!!) money...or make a friend of someone handy with a soldering iron to make them up for you lol :wink:. Believe me (or not!), this stuff is a good bit better even than 'ordinary' pure, soft-annealed silver...and certainly 'OFC' copper IMHO.

ps. Don't these wonderful headphones deserve the best? :) :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #3,343 of 12,974
Mono crystal? How its different from standart occ?

Hi Arniesb.

"Mono crystal" is simply a further description of "OCC" (Ohno Continuos Cast)...ie. extruded so as to have a single crystal structure. I personally use Neotech's version they call "UP-OCC" (UltraPure-OCC), and which is already teflon coated...much easier to work with than pushing bare wire through teflon tubing lol (and neater!).

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #3,344 of 12,974
Unless we are talking about that really nice looking braided silver upgrade cable that Meze sells, the stock cable should otherwise be identical regardless of what sort of termination it has. I believe the basic configuration is 1/4" but they seem to make balanced as well - looks like same cable with a different plug on the end, which makes sense for them to do from a business standpoint.
I’m quite happy with Meze upgrade cable with 4.4mm plug. Yes, the stock cables are essentially the same cable with different plugs. But 3.5mm version is shorter than others (1.5m vs. 3m). This may make any potential coloration by the cable reduced.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3,345 of 12,974
As with any cables, it’s not just the quality of the copper or silver. It’s how it’s constructed, the jacket, the dialectics, etc, etc, etc.

You have to skip through all of the marketing BS and get opinions from people who have actually heard a given cable, if you don’t get to audition for yourself.

For me personally, I wouldn’t buy a cable if they don’t give you a couple of weeks to try it and return for a refund if you’re not happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back