Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #3,361 of 12,975

Great review austinpop...thanks. And thanks also for confirming the (positive) effects of long burn-in with the Empyreans...even if I'm now suffering the disappointment of knowing it wasn't actually a welcome (sudden) improvement in these ageing ears lol! :triportsad:...

ps. Now looking forward more than ever to my friend's visit this weekend, sporting his 800s (original) complete with OCC silver/gold alloy cable...should be very interesting!

pps. I too love Mahler's 3rd...have got almost every version going, so this weekend will be especially interesting!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #3,362 of 12,975
Fischer's Mahler 3rd is very well recorded, a bit tame for my taste though (his 9th is better for my ears).. I like Chailly and Levine's 3rd better..
Still searching for the ultimate Mahler headphones, maybe the Empyreans are it?

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,363 of 12,975
Fischer's Mahler 3rd is very well recorded, a bit tame for my taste though (his 9th is better for my ears).. I like Chailly and Levine's 3rd better..
Still searching for the ultimate Mahler headphones, maybe the Empyreans are it?

They could well be, Quinto.

Now that my own pair have burned in some more - the difference is quite amazing - I can give Mahler a better chance. And today I've had yet another surprise from these Empyreans...they showcase clearly the differences between not only different recordings' engineering, but also different performances. In short, with reference to his 3rd Symphony, there was always quite a difference between Kubelik/BSRO's (live) version and the Bernstein/NYPO. But the Empyreans have highlighted these differences a good deal more than I've heard previously...ie. the former's more exhilarating/impassioned performance - augmented by the recording engineer!, compared to Bernstein's much more 'controlled' and better balanced performance - this time with more 'sympathetic' recording.

Both are very enjoyable, with these headphones reproducing Mahler's darker sections with great depth and richness of tone.... the lower wind and strings heightening the emotion very nicely, and the rasping trombones and trumpets bringing you back to Earth with a vengeance! But all the while without drowning the upper frequencies...even the delicate triangle is crystal clear, and able to hang in the air as if by magic.

It will be very interesting to see this weekend just how the HD800s (v1) compare in the arena when faced with Mahler's dark, brooding score...and where the breadth and depth of bass handling could, I suspect, prove a slight problem for the Senns?!!...Time will tell :wink:...

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #3,364 of 12,975
LOL!

Yea I know. It's owning a HD800 For keeps. Now that it's discontinue (Original) I am more incline to keep one or 2 forever Now!
Wait, is the OG white HD800 really discontinued now???

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #3,365 of 12,975

Yes! You better start panicking! One of the greatest headphones ever created is heading over to legendary territory!

I might pick up another one just for a backup. Even thou HD800 drivers are 110% flawless in their design and will never die or fail!

Thats right Audeze, Stax, Hifiman. I am judging you for your weak sauce pathetic failure driver rate percentages!! :angry:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,366 of 12,975
Do you mean silver? Or what do you mean by white old git or or white old gangsta?
I’ve owned the original hd800 early serial number and later serial number and they sound a bit diff. Also hd800s. I remember thr colorware who did cool custom colors and I almost ordered a white and black stormtrooper look. Here is a chrome version
https://www.colorware.com/b-86-colorware-collection-sennheiser-hd-800-c-release.aspx

Or the white wolf edition
https://lyra.media/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/colorware1102_hd800_whitewolf-1.jpg

But that was when I was a bit younger and kinda had a gamer space ship look to them. Actually they do look fairly space sci-fi-ish. I had not heard the original is being discontinued.

Anyhow, the MAIN reason I replied to this was it struck up a thought about personalized products. And I thought about the empyrean and “what if” it had a personalized option to choose a “look” that the customer prefers to his/her liking.
As this thread is about empyreans, I was just thinking this might be cool to see more companies do this. I would think that would be great to see some special perosonalizrd editions of the empyrean. The solid silver prototype was very cool looking and has a sense of elegance to it. I’m not saying the standard edition isn’t attractive, it definitely thought it would be nice to choose. Kind of like buying a Ferrari and choosing nearly any color you want for a premium price, thus making it your Ferrari and showing your personality. But it would be interesting to see headphone companies allow a could color options or combinations as an optional service to charge a little more for special personalized touch. There are a few other companies I know of that are doing this and think it may be a smart move. I would think any personalized version may be non refundable, and valid for repairs of course if the drivers have issues etc.

I would love to choose a few shades of metal anodized finishes and have choices. black, silver, copper, gold, bronze, dark brown, dark blue, dark green, dark red.
Maybe having a 600-800+usd or so premium for personalized anodized parts.

Combinations examples:

* black/copper like prototype finish

*Dark blue frame surround with silver grille and black inner frame - silver slide

*Dark Green frame surround with gold grille and black inner frame - gold slide

*Dark Red frame surround with bronze grille and black inner frame - bronze slide

*Dark brown frame surround with copper grille and black inner frame - copper slide

*Black frame surround with dark red grille and black inner frame- silver slides

These are some ideas I quickly thought of. As a premium product I think it’s at a point that having personalized touches would be a welcome option and maybe will see more of this in the future. The downsides is the expense of having many parts in stock of each color. It does take 20hours to machine one pair of headphones. But if anodizing is done in-house than maybe it would be possible. Maybe anodizing can be done when orders are placed. I don’t know. But maybe possible.

I don’t know if it’s just me or maybe others would consider personalized headphones. I know colorware was painting the parts and reassembling them. Or so i assume and correct me if I’m wrong. But a premium finish would be anodized parts, not just some plastic bits. Anyhow, sorry if it’s a little off topic. But the empyrean with a personalized finish may be intoxicating.

Thoughts ?

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #3,367 of 12,975
Do you mean silver? Or what do you mean by white old git or or white old gangsta?
I’ve owned the original hd800 early serial number and later serial number and they sound a bit diff. Also hd800s. I remember thr colorware who did cool custom colors and I almost ordered a white and black stormtrooper look. Here is a chrome version
https://www.colorware.com/b-86-colorware-collection-sennheiser-hd-800-c-release.aspx

Or the white wolf edition
https://lyra.media/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/colorware1102_hd800_whitewolf-1.jpg

But that was when I was a bit younger and kinda had a gamer space ship look to them. Actually they do look fairly space sci-fi-ish. I had not heard the original is being discontinued.

Anyhow, the MAIN reason I replied to this was it struck up a thought about personalized products. And I thought about the empyrean and “what if” it had a personalized option to choose a “look” that the customer prefers to his/her liking.
As this thread is about empyreans, I was just thinking this might be cool to see more companies do this. I would think that would be great to see some special perosonalizrd editions of the empyrean. The solid silver prototype was very cool looking and has a sense of elegance to it. I’m not saying the standard edition isn’t attractive, it definitely thought it would be nice to choose. Kind of like buying a Ferrari and choosing nearly any color you want for a premium price, thus making it your Ferrari and showing your personality. But it would be interesting to see headphone companies allow a could color options or combinations as an optional service to charge a little more for special personalized touch. There are a few other companies I know of that are doing this and think it may be a smart move. I would think any personalized version may be non refundable, and valid for repairs of course if the drivers have issues etc.

I would love to choose a few shades of metal anodized finishes and have choices. black, silver, copper, gold, bronze, dark brown, dark blue, dark green, dark red.
Maybe having a 600-800+usd or so premium for personalized anodized parts.

Combinations examples:

* black/copper like prototype finish

*Dark blue frame surround with silver grille and black inner frame - silver slide

*Dark Green frame surround with gold grille and black inner frame - gold slide

*Dark Red frame surround with bronze grille and black inner frame - bronze slide

*Dark brown frame surround with copper grille and black inner frame - copper slide

*Black frame surround with dark red grille and black inner frame- silver slides

These are some ideas I quickly thought of. As a premium product I think it’s at a point that having personalized touches would be a welcome option and maybe will see more of this in the future. The downsides is the expense of having many parts in stock of each color. It does take 20hours to machine one pair of headphones. But if anodizing is done in-house than maybe it would be possible. Maybe anodizing can be done when orders are placed. I don’t know. But maybe possible.

I don’t know if it’s just me or maybe others would consider personalized headphones. I know colorware was painting the parts and reassembling them. Or so i assume and correct me if I’m wrong. But a premium finish would be anodized parts, not just some plastic bits. Anyhow, sorry if it’s a little off topic. But the empyrean with a personalized finish may be intoxicating.

Thoughts ?

If I am not mistaken...I thought I witnessed awhile back that you had one with a gold grill?

I have been a lurker in this thread for awhile now as this headphone is on my radar.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #3,368 of 12,975
“what if” it had a personalized option to choose a “look” that the customer prefers to his/her liking.

Before we head back to Meze :p

I used to own about 5 overall HD800 and just rebought another one :) . This one is for keeps!

I never needed colorware or anyother company to paint my headphones or do custom personalisation mods on them. I do all the labour work my self! :)

I did

1 matt black Red, 1 matt black w/ green, 1 matt black w/ blue and my current one is in original silver with matt black.

My current pair. Is in Matt black with original silver ring. With dekoni pads and speical inside sdr mods I did to make it a darkness king! And copper cables. Druag v2 :)

Example. I did this myself :)
Screenshot_20170616-001741.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #3,371 of 12,975
E058CD32-0A79-47BF-8C56-E6808D5DDDAC.jpeg 5C91F122-E935-42CC-B0EE-FE21EB1896F3.jpeg
If I am not mistaken...I thought I witnessed awhile back that you had one with a gold grill?

I have been a lurker in this thread for awhile now as this headphone is on my radar.

Yes I have the early versions. The final empyrean seems to be more of a brownish greenish hue to to the anodized finished. The early copper black is my favorite and the earlier grey black is the other one i have. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the final version I have seen on currawong’s Review and Zeos reviews looks a bit different and has that brownish shimmering tone to the grey bits. Looks nice! Anyhow, I love brown and added the Stellia to my collection a little bit ago too. I’m hoping to see a closed back version of the empyreans :)

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #3,374 of 12,975
For electronic, jazz and progressive-rock music would you suggest the Verite or the Empyrean ?
I hope someone that listened both could answer...

These are both exceptional headphones that would work well with those genres. Ultimately you would have to compare them for yourself to see if you had a preference.
I don't think you would be disappointed in either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back