Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #136 of 12,974
So be patient. If, like Focal, they sell a few Empyrean flagships, when the initial buzz wears off and sales slow down, they will issue a $1000 version that's almost as good (initially).

If you can be even more patient, wait for the $1500 version that will be one of the best headphones ever.
Hehe, I'm sure if Meze had the size of Focal they would want to try it like that.

I don't want to disrespect Meze but come one please don't compare Focal with Meze.. Focal was already a well established brand in the world before commercializing headphones while Meze is still an emerging company.

I wish them good luck but I still think it's a bad commercial move to go from a $309 product to $3750.
Companies have to start somewhere, Meze started with the headphones before the 99c and will have big plans after the Empryean. Focal when they were starting up had to start selling speakers above their usual price range.

The price of a new flagship is tough without a doubt for most, but if it does prove to be a great headphone I do expect Meze to be another one of the big names talked about along the likes of the Focal, Audeze, Hifiman, etc.

I kind of agree too, Focal was well established in the high-end market and has lot's of technology to bring to high-end headphones. Meze really has to make a groundbreaking headphone to get everyone's attention.
The Rinaro technology sounds pretty exciting, CanJam will be a great show to hear it for the first time.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #137 of 12,974
Hehe, I'm sure if Meze had the size of Focal they would want to try it like that.

Companies have to start somewhere, Meze started with the headphones before the 99c and will have big plans after the Empryean. Focal when they were starting up had to start selling speakers above their usual price range.

The price of a new flagship is tough without a doubt for most, but if it does prove to be a great headphone I do expect Meze to be another one of the big names talked about along the likes of the Focal, Audeze, Hifiman, etc.

The Rinaro technology sounds pretty exciting, CanJam will be a great show to hear it for the first time.

I like that both Meze and Focal did very well in the mid-range market segment. The Spirit One had a good reputation far before the Utopia or Elear launched, and Meze with both the 99classics have established them selfs as well.

So it's exciting to seem them go from a cost conscious build all the way to the top with what I hope is a no-cost no object flagship for them! A true statement to what their capable of! An exactly as other's have said they will likely find a way to cut costs without sacrificing too much quality in the future. But for now their off to compete against kings and prove their worth in the Summit! An as they did with the 99 Classics at $300 I'm sure they'll do well in the $3000 market space

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #138 of 12,974

Hell yeah, Alan, I hope it's a knockout.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #139 of 12,974
If $3750 is the correct MSRP for these, then Meze is truly swingin' for the fences! :fearful:

And I reeeally hope they can knock it outta the park with the Empyrean. :fingers_crossed:

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #142 of 12,974
Interesting note on just starting out Meze vs. established Focal. Focal can't possibly be listening to feedback. Their original headphone series had small fitting headbands, and too small ear pads. Sure the Elear and up seem to maybe have slightly larger pads, I remember they just about fit when I tried them on. The affordable Focal Listen was way too small for my head, and the ear pads are too small. Sad since they'd had possibly the best sub bass ever. I mean the best extension, incredible definition, impact, and quantity, while retaining clarity higher up in the sound spectrum. How hard is it to make bigger earcups? Also the idea that they have to be small, and can't extend far enough is nonsense. The Bose QC35 and the Sony MDR-1A (with Meze 99 pads) are fully portable, and fit most any size head, and ears. Focal failed there. Meze increased the size of their pads and also negated the issue with low sub bass below 40 hz rolling off on the first incarnation of the 99. They kept tweaking and they improved.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #143 of 12,974
That image looks like a Star Trek homage. I'm still looking forward to seeing in person. Bristol?

Star-Trek-Discovery.png
One of these is the product of wildly imaginative people using preposterous scifi techy-sounding terms like "planar magnetic" and "isodynamic hybrid array", and the other is a starship from Star Trek. :p

isodynamic means planar
Well, not exactly. It means those planars (magnetic or electrostatic) that ensure (near-)constant membrane speed throughout the whole excursion, typically by using stators on both sides.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #144 of 12,974
Has anyone mentioned the Wharfedale Isodynamics from the early 70s? http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O...-headphones-headphones-rank-radio-industrial/

Anyhow I am very interested to hear how they sound. The Meze 99 Classics are a remarkable pair of headphones for the money so you would hope that Antonio Meze and his team have come up with something exceptional for what appears to be a money no object design.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #145 of 12,974
isodynamic

or isodynamical
[ahy-soh-dahy-nam-ik or ahy-soh-dahy-nam-i-kuh l; -di-]
adjective
pertaining to or characterized by equality of force, intensity, or thelike.
noting or pertaining to an imaginary line on the earth's surfaceconnecting points of equal horizontal intensity of the earth's magneticfield.

---

Planar (?) :darthsmile:

Just guessing :L3000:

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #147 of 12,974
That's a beautiful looking headphone tho...I would like to compare them to the FOCAL Utopia...The Utopia was so open, airy and dynamic when I heard it...
I'm thinking about bringing my Utopia with me to do a side by side comparison.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #148 of 12,974
That would be great...I wish I could make it to the NYC CanJam....now I probably won't get to hear the EMPYREAN until April at Axpona....let us know what you think if you do..

I'm thinking about bringing my Utopia with me to do a side by side comparison.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #149 of 12,974
That would be great...I wish I could make it to the NYC CanJam....now I probably won't get to hear the EMPYREAN until April at Axpona....let us know what you think if you do..
Definitely!

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #150 of 12,974
At $3750, utopia, lcd4, diana, hek, stax, voce are welcoming this. If it is truly competitive with them for the price point, it will make Meze as one of the world class headphone manufacturer. Otherwise, it is just a joke...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back