Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #106 of 12,975
Reminds me of a Russian joke: Two newly made oligarchs meet outside a luxury shopping center, both sporting beautiful brand new ties. The first guy tells the other: "What a beautiful tie you have! How much did you pay for it?" "500 euro", says the other guy ." They screwed you man! Look at my tie: 1000 euro!"
LOL!

Of course, I prefer to usually not incite people to spend as much as they can but just buy what they can safely afford and have fun with.

That was the point actually, affordability. I don't think a 3K Headphone is affordable by any means, but if it is to somebody, they should give it a chance.

I don't know how it'll sound as I never had a prototype in my hands, just some data on the Empyrean, but at that price they need to overcome at least LCD-3, HD800, and other critically acclaimed headphones. We can probably agree that this will be really fun to watch.

BTW, the fact that Empyrean exists means that there is always the possibility of mini Empyrean appearing down the road, so I don't think we should be sad that it is a 3K headphone, but glad that Meze is making a strong entrance in the high-end area. With time costs go down, and who knows what will appear along the way in the future :darthsmile:

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #107 of 12,975
Of course, I prefer to usually not incite people to spend as much as they can but just buy what they can safely afford and have fun with.

That was the point actually, affordability. I don't think a 3K Headphone is affordable by any means, but if it is to somebody, they should give it a chance.

I don't know how it'll sound as I never had a prototype in my hands, just some data on the Empyrean, but at that price they need to overcome at least LCD-3, HD800, and other critically acclaimed headphones. We can probably agree that this will be really fun to watch.

BTW, the fact that Empyrean exists means that there is always the possibility of mini Empyrean appearing down the road, so I don't think we should be sad that it is a 3K headphone, but glad that Meze is making a strong entrance in the high-end area. With time costs go down, and who knows what will appear along the way in the future :darthsmile:
Besides affordability, there is also the law of diminishing returns to consider, when you hit these price levels, I believe .

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #108 of 12,975
Besides affordability, there is also the law of diminishing returns to consider, when you hit these price levels, I believe .

Absolutely. The law of diminishing returns hits around 1K USD, after that it just gets stronger. Which makes Empyrean even more interesting to hear since I want to see what Meze did and how they handled this situation.

If only I could get to Canjam to know quicker (I live in Romania after all)

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #109 of 12,975
Absolutely. The law of diminishing returns hits around 1K USD, after that it just gets stronger. Which makes Empyrean even more interesting to hear since I want to see what Meze did and how they handled this situation.

If only I could get to Canjam to know quicker (I live in Romania after all)
Yeah, I know, I wish I could get over there also, but I'm afraid it's not in the cards .One thing I can say though, from looking at @Judedej1 ' video, is that they sure used some really expensive components there!

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #111 of 12,975
Just got to the part where they talk about the Empyrian.

Man it looks beautiful, that's some fine design and craftsmanship right there.

If Jude is right about the pricing, unfortunately I might have to pass on this one, already have the Utopia that only get some headtime after work or in the weekend, I can't justify another $3000+ investment on that.

Good luck to Meze Audio though, beautiful headphone with some innovative driver design. I would probably be interested if they come up with a closed back design on this.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #113 of 12,975
if it´s sounds good, if it´s sounds better compared to stax or planar, if are easy to drive, if the price is for humans, i´m interested
so subscribed

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #115 of 12,975
I see it this way. Since there are larger more ridiculously priced, hard to drive, outside of some special amp type cans out there, if this one ends up sounding better than any at or above its price class, it's done something. Clearly it's unlike any design before it. I see it as good sine the tech usually finds its way down. The same way I liked the Meze Classic ultimately preferring the Neo, despite it being $100 less. I also find the unrelated Sony MDR-Z1A with Meze pads better than the MDR-Z7 I had, which was modified to improve it because it lacked the midrange resonances, extended farther (especially with the pads) and with the pads is slightly more detailed in the high mids and highs, without harshness, unless the track was harsh to begin with (it didn't smooth it over like some overly smooth cans have). It's lighter and the ear cups extend farther down so they reach my ears with actually extra room (1/2 'click' on each side). A lower total price, and portable and fold flat. I can see an open classic emerge from this, maybe dynamic, maybe lower cost planar.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #116 of 12,975
Just got to the part where they talk about the Empyrian.

Man it looks beautiful, that's some fine design and craftsmanship right there.

If Jude is right about the pricing, unfortunately I might have to pass on this one, already have the Utopia that only get some headtime after work or in the weekend, I can't justify another $3000+ investment on that.

Good luck to Meze Audio though, beautiful headphone with some innovative driver design. I would probably be interested if they come up with a closed back design on this.

I hear you. I have the Utopia/Lazuli Ref driven by the Dave and although I could afford to invest in another high end headphone I won't because like you I just couldn't justify it to myself. I listen when I can after work, days off etc but I would need to have much more spare than I do to make it viable.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #117 of 12,975
I don't know, I'm starting to think it could be part of a whole strategy: to have a ridiculously priced "flagship" that sounds godlike, isn't really economical because of how few people can afford it, but since it's something for reviewers to talk about and a high price point to contrast other products to, it may very well be the case that it gives a substantial boost in sales to your more affordable products in the same line. Could explain why they're all doing it this way.

I hear they're coming out with multiple models this year, probably the next ones will all be cheaper than the Empyrean, so if I were still looking for a planar I'd be waiting for a lower-tier planar from them in the near future, based on that same "isodynamic" whatchamacallit.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #118 of 12,975
Thinking some more about it - I am glad those are insanely priced!
I have WAY too many headphones, and a sub-$1000 (especially closer to $600) could have tempted me to get yet another one (too many) headphones...
Now - no temptation! :)

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #119 of 12,975
Thinking some more about it - I am glad those are insanely priced!
I have WAY too many headphones, and a sub-$1000 (especially closer to $600) could have tempted me to get yet another one (too many) headphones...
Now - no temptation! :)

lol, good point :wink:

I already have the LCD-2C and the Atticus and I would have been only interested to buy the Empyrean if the price would have been below $1000.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #120 of 12,975
I don't know, I'm starting to think it could be part of a whole strategy: to have a ridiculously priced "flagship" that sounds godlike, isn't really economical because of how few people can afford it, but since it's something for reviewers to talk about and a high price point to contrast other products to, it may very well be the case that it gives a substantial boost in sales to your more affordable products in the same line. Could explain why they're all doing it this way.

I hear they're coming out with multiple models this year, probably the next ones will all be cheaper than the Empyrean, so if I were still looking for a planar I'd be waiting for a lower-tier planar from them in the near future, based on that same "isodynamic" whatchamacallit.
Yes exactly right , in marketing it is called brand identity . By releasing an unaffordable but highly desirable flagship the rest of the range is lifted in perceived value by association .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back