Meze Empyrean Loaner Program
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #61 of 73
My impressions of the Meze Empyrean:

I first want to first thank Todd of TTVJ for allowing me listen to these headphones for an extended period of time. Awesome loaner program!!!

Build Quality: There are probably the most well-made headphones out there. They are reasonably light at 430g and feel very comfortable on my head. They are well machined and feel very sturdy. A headphone you would want to baby but because of the build quality you do not have to do so or be afraid that they are too delicate to leave outside their case.

Equipment: I used several sources - Tidal, Qobuz and a few FLAC files. THX 789 AAA, IFI DSD Black Label RME ADI-2 DAC. Norne Draugur Silver cable. Hifiman HE-1000 SE and ZMF Zircote Verite for comparisons.

Empyrean Sound Quality:

Bass - I find the bass to be very full sounding with quite a bit of impact. The midbass is accentuated on these headphones which adds to that feeling of impact. You have to be careful with the pairing of the Empyrean to your DAC’s and Amps. They must be paired with source equipment that can maintain tight control of the bass frequencies or the bass will sound too loose and out of control, sloppy even. It was a good match with the THX, but I can imagine with some tube amps that sound might get out of control. There is ample subbass for hip hop trap bass, so no worries there. There were times in which I did wish the midbass was dialed back a bit as I got a slight feeling of muddy bass, but we are talking a small amount here. There is good bass detail but not on the level of the HEK or the Verite.

Midrange – The midrange is sweet and enjoyable. Nice fullness. If you like really forward vocals this headphone may not be for you. Not that the vocals are relaxed but they are not quite as out front as the Verite let’s say.

Treble – For me the Empyrean has the right amount of treble. It is not too much as in bright, it is slightly subdued, but it is enough to make the presentation exciting. This is why I can say that overall the Empyrean may have one of the best tonal balances I have heard on any headphone and I have heard most of the top contenders.

Sound Quality Comparisons:

Hifiman HE-1000 SE – First I would have to point out the very different tonal balances and overall sound. The HEK is thinner brighter and has an airy quality to its sound, with a very neutral to slightly bright balance. The Empyrean is a lot thicker sounding with less of an upper midrange, treble emphasis. As regards to resolution the HEK handily wins here. You will hear a lot more detail and even micro detail than with the Empyrean. Timbre slightly also goes to the HEK.

Soundstage and Imaging – The HEK SE wins here too. It is one of the top Soundstage and imaging headphones out there. It gives you a wide expanse both in width and depth. With very precise imaging. On EDM tracks with lots of effects you can precisely follow those sound effects around. With the Empyrean the width is decent, but not as wide and the depth is also good but not quite there as with the HEK. The images are larger but not as easy to locate as on the HEK. The soundstage is also more crowded on the Empyrean as opposed to the HEK.

Overall Sound – the differences are pretty large between these two. Almost opposite tonality. If you want a more analytical headphone with a big soundstage and a more precise sound, think HEK. If you are looking for a more relaxed, thicker sound and do not need that precision, think Empyrean. I would almost say the Empyrean is more of tubey sound vs the SS sound of the HEK. As to my opinion of which I would prefer…. I would have to cop out by saying it depends on what I want to listen to. Hip Hop, new metal…..Empyrean. Classic Rock, Pink Floyd, EDM….HEK. The HEK is a great complement to the Empyrean. If you could have only one think about which types of music you will mostly listen to and then think about whether you want a more analytical or a more fun headphone.

20191101_163805.jpg

ZMF Verite Zircote – Now these are more like brothers from different mothers. Think the exact definition of planar vs dynamic but with similar tonality.

Resolution and Timbre – Here is where the Verite takes the lead. I think the Verite has better resolution and better timbre. It sounds more natural. A great way to test this is with acoustic guitars. They sounded more lively and real on the Verite. The Empyrean is not bad but it does not quite sound as natural especially with acoustic instruments. With vocals I can hear them more clearly with the Verite, as in more of a raspy tone of a female singers voice for instance.

Soundstage and Imaging – This is about a tie between them. The Verite with most pads has a wider soundstage and the Empyrean tends to have a less wide soundstage but it tends to be deeper. I feel the Empyrean has slightly more accurate pinpoint imaging. The Verite has better layering and a more 3D image within it soundstage but sometimes that image gets a little fuzzy compared to the Empyrean. This of course depends on which pads are in use between either headphone.

Dynamics – With macrodynamics I feel the Empyrean has the edge. It also has more slam. I can feel more a difference between those quiet and loud passages. This is helped by its better midbass presence. Now with micro dynamics I believe the Verite does the subtleties better. Back to the acoustic guitars…..You can hear more differences in the strumming and picking with the Verite.

Overall Sound – They share a similar tonality of being warm, inviting headphones with a pleasant amount of treble, midrange and ample bass. The Empyrean has more of a midbass presence and thus sounds thicker. Neither headphone could be considered harsh or strident, actually far from it. The tonality thing is a tough thing to exactly nail down between these two because they both have interchangeable pads…..Empyrean has two set of pads and the Verite has up to five sets to choose from. I have the Verite, Universe and Verite Suede pads. I mostly use the Verite Lambskin and Verite Suede pads.

Conclusion:

In wrapping this up I would say that the Verite is the more accurate headphone, the Empyrean has more slam and depending on the track, might be considered just as much fun despite not being the last word in accuracy. If you are looking for that more natural timbre, go for the Verite. With the Empyrean you are getting more of a package…..great comfort, great durable build quality and good not great resolution. That lack of TOTL resolution has been mentioned in other reviews. Yes, it could/should be better, especially for the asking price. If Meze could add that extra resolve and keep that great tonal balance, this could very well be the best all-around set of headphones on the market. As it is, the Empyrean is still a great package missing an element or two that prevents it from being ranked among the very best.

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #62 of 73
Is this still going? I'd like to have a listen to this if possible.

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #63 of 73
Hi dasmodul,

Email me with the info required in the loaner program rules (first post) and I will add you. I need the info by tomorrow or the program will be closed. They would ship to you on Monday and you would have a week with them from the day you receive them.They are scheduled to ship back to me on Monday and once I get them back they willl not be going back out. So let me know asap so I can have them shipped to you instead of me.

Todd

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #64 of 73
Repost from Full Size HP post: My review -
I don't do many of these written impressions (do I do any? :beyersmile:) but as a promise and thank you to Todd from TVVJ for loaning out these new reference headphones to me and Meze Audio for creating such a beast, I'm going to share what my impressions have been over the last two nights. I'm going to do things perhaps a little different than most so bare with me and let me know if this review was helpful.

How I reviewed:
So i gave great thought about how to do this as I myself am an obsessive, comparison researcher. In the end, I wanted this to help all of you more than me. I wanted to give YOU the sense of how this headphone sounds as I get to listen to it and don't need any help. So I decided to do a relative comparison to one of my favorite jack-of-all-trades headphones, the Sennheiser HD650 as a reference sample since most people have heard and know what those sound like. Also, these particular tracks I've selected all sound great to amazing on the HD650 so the starting point is already great "-".

How to interpret +/- 3 Table legend:
I created a simplified table that has 3 simple functions: 1) Give you a relative score from -3 (been a good amount worse than reference) to +3 (being significantly better than reference). 2) My overall, subjective pick for the track, sometimes despite the quantitative score and 3) Some commentary on the track/experience.
"-" = Reference HD650 quality score. By default it means great as the HD650 can do amazing justice to all these tracks.
"3" = Significantly superior to reference.
"2" = Decent amount superior to reference. Most would easily notice without effort.
"1" = Just a little bit superior than the reference. May require concentration to distinguish/choose.
"-1" = Just a little bit inferior than ref.
"-2" = Decent amount inferior. Most people would notice it without much effort.
"-3" = Significantly inferior to reference.

Finally, a little background about me:
I've been an audiophile since I was 16 and got my first car sound system. Perhaps unlike many, I was drove to audiophilia because of my love for musik, and not as much the equipment. The songs are the most important to me and I choose equipment to make them sound the best they can to my tastes and not the other way around. I grew up from the age of 3 in a musikal family where i was trained to listen, appreciate musik from almost every country/region regardless if i could understand it. I'm very thankful as it has opened up so many worlds of sounds to me most people don't get a chance to appreciate. I've including some from many different countries even in this short list from Denmark to Saudi Arabia to England to India and South Africa. I've included links in my table to YouTube so you can listen along as you read the review table to get a better sense of what i meant also.

****DISCLAIMER/WARNING*****
There is one hip-hop track by Die Antwood called "Evil Boy" in my list. They are a highly talented hip-hop group from South Africa who's imagery is designed by a renowned, avant-garde urban/Afrikaans artist. They are, especially to western standards, many times quite shocking and sometimes disturbing to the senses before you can appreciate them. So please, take care and perhaps not watch it if you are easily offended/disturbed :)

Now without further ado, here are a few photos and a link to my table.

>>>>>>>>>> http://www.mpcreations.com/temp/MezeEmpyrean.htm

Fit/Comfort: These are one of the most luxurious/comfortable MP headphones i have ever used. Perhaps if my old LCD-2s were as light and comfy as these i would have kept them longer :-D. They were, i dare say even more seamless than the HD650 on my head which is a super comfortable headphone for me.

Overall: The Meze Audio Empyrean is a true reference class headphone. It is not ostentatious in any manner of it's presentation. The sound is for the most part detailed, full with great sound stage. There is ample, detailed bass to make most songs very engaging. Probably not the first choice for a bass-head user, but unlike some reference headphones it is not sterile at all. Very musical with just enough touch of warm to round out hard edges in some tracks. One thing i kept coming back to was it's control over frequencies. These headphones herd the extremes of all frequencies with the confidence of a master shepard.

Link to other thread with pics as well: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meze-audio-empyrean-impression-vs-reference-sample.919662/

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #65 of 73
Meze Empyrean’s
My Short review by jb77

First off I would like to thank Todd from Todd The Vinyl Junkie www.ttvjaudio.com
For including me in the loaner review program.

The Empyrean’s by Meze

The Empyrean’s are a headphone that really caught my interest from its initial release. From its RINARO ISOPLANAR® DIAPHRAGM drivers to its machined cups, it’s carbon fiber headband, all of these for some reason simply got me interested in this headphone. Fast forward to when I started reading reviews and this seemed like it would be a headphone I would really enjoy. Ok enough with my rambling, let’s get into my short review. For those who would like to read more about the Empyrean’s, please visit their site and read through to the bottom(lots of scrolling) and watch the videos on the construction process.
Meze’s website for the Empyrean’s is: https://mezeaudio.com/products/meze-empyrean

Initial impressions

To my surprise this headphone did not initially impress me, as I was use to the sound signature of my Focal Elex, which is quite different compared to the Empyrean’s. This is why it is important to listen to only one headphone at a time for an extended period, before making a final judgment.

Note

As with all audio gear this is my personal subjective opinion. Everyone has their own preferences, which in turn makes everyone’s review subjective to their tastes and opinions. However with the aforementioned, most of us can still agree on what is a ‘good’ headphone vs a ‘bad’ headphone.

Gear I used for the review

Open Back headphones
1. Focal Elex
2. Audeze LCD-2C
3. Verum V1

Headphone Amp Inventory:
1. Schiit Mjolnir 2 (MJ2) (Tube Hybrid)
2. Monolith Liquid Platinum by Alex Cavalli(LP) (Tube Hybrid)
3. Massdrop THX AAA 789
4. JDS Labs Atom

Source(DAC) Inventory:
1. Airist Audio R-2R Dac
2. SMSL SU-8 v2

Cable Inventory:
Interconnects are Blue Jeans Cable:
Belden 1800F balanced cables
LC-1 single ended rca cables

Headphone cables:
Corpse Cable Gravedigger Cardas Audio Litz Balanced Cables for:
Focal Elex
Audeze LCD-2C

Corpse Cable Mogami 289 Balanced Cable for:
Verum V1

Build Quality
10 of 10

The build quality is absolutely phenomenal. From the use of premium materials, to the machined cups, to the carbon fiber and leather headband. The Empyrean’s are one of the best made headphones you can purchase today.

Comfort
10 of 10

Simply put. These are the most comfortable planar headphones I have ever tried. Easily an ‘all-day’ comfort level.

Sound Quality
8.9 of 10

On to sound quality, the part that most of us care about.

Detail, the Empyrean’s are very good at detail retrieval however they are not detail monster, they do dive into your recordings and dig out detail, though they are not a class leader by any means. Seek other headphones if your goal is to get the most detail retrieval possible.

Soundstage, the Empyrean’s have a soundstage that is very impressive, what I mean by that, is the soundstage hits all three axis, it has width, depth and height. Soundstage is something that is very subjective on what people enjoy, some really enjoy an intimate soundstage and others look for the ‘biggest’ soundstage they can find. The Empyrean’s are in the middle. Though because of the way the soundstage is presented in this headphone, it is very “lifelike” it gives you a sense of being “there”.

Imaging, the Empyrean’s have very good but not excellent imaging. However with the above mentioned soundstage, it delivers an amazing listening experience. It adds “life” to your music.

Treble, the Empyrean’s have great treble extension, though they do lack some air that other headphones can deliver. This does however make the Empyrean’s very forgiving, for the vast majority of music they are not fatiguing. I did however have the slightest bit of fatigue with the leather pads on initial listening with my test tracks I specifically use for testing treble fatigue. However once I became acclaimed to the Empyrean’s this reduced to become a non-issue.

Midrange, the midrange response on these headphones is simply wonderful, it presents itself very nicely without out being really forward or recessed. It comes across as more flat or linear.

Bass, Bass on the Empyrean’s is incredibly detailed throughout the low end. I believe these headphones have some of the most detailed bass I have ever heard. The bass is also very impactful and full, that can reach very low frequencies. The impact they have with the leather pads is insane, it makes my Audeze LCD 2 classic seem bass light in comparison. But the Empyrean’s do it in a way to add body, weight, and dimension to the sound, also I used some test tones and the Empyrean’s do audibly go down to 20Hz. Very impressive. This amount of detailed bass definitely adds warmth and weight to the sound. With the aforementioned being said, I can see the potential for this amount of bass to come across as bloated on certain systems. I did not have this issue on any of the amps I used (mentioned above) including my 2 hybrid tube amps. Though I can see this being tube dependent on my LP and MJ2. I used my favorite tubes for both the LP and MJ2.

Pads, the Empyrean’s come with a pair of leather (or vegan) pads as well as Alcantara pads. These pads do affect both comfort and sound.

For about 2 hours, I listened to several tracks then swap pads, then a few less tracks and swap again, until I got down to just a single track at a time, would listen with the leather pads then switch to the suede pads. My initial findings are as follows:

Leather pads:
Much more up front or ‘in your face’ type sound, if I use the “concert” analogy the leather pads would be closer to the stage, they hit harder, have more pronounced bass, bass slam. Treble (for me) is elevated, mids are more forward. The leather pads were slightly harsh on my treble test tracks I use specifically to test for harshness.

Alcantara pads:
More relaxed sounding, everything takes a step back compared to the leather pads, if the leather pads were closer to the stage the suede pads are further from the stage, this (for me) ‘fixes’ the slightly elevated treble of the leather pads as on the same test tracks the suede pads are not harsh. Bass looses some of its heft compared to the leather pads, it does not hit as hard either. Mids are not as forward as the leather pads. Soundstage seems slightly better on the suede pads.

I did these initial comparison exclusively on the LP using my SMSL SU-8 dac.

Pad wise I would go back and forth depending on what I was listening to, though in the end I preferred the leather pads most of the time.

Forgiving, the Empyrean’s are probably some of the best ‘all-rounders’ you can currently buy. For the most part they ‘play’ well with whatever types of recordings and recording quality you throw at them. They will scale well when you play hi-res files, yet the also play very well with CD quality. Unlike most other high-end or flagship level headphones, the Empyrean’s are forgiving and allow multiple genres of music to sound fantastic on them. Thus IMO making them phenomenal ‘all-rounders’.

Non-Detailed Comparisons

Vs. my Focal Elex
For me they best my Elex in every category except imaging, as my pair of Elex have laser focused imaging. However the Elex has a completely different sound signature than the Empyrean’s, they are also the only dynamic drivers in the comparison. Previous to receiving the Empyrean’s the Elex was my daily driver. Now that the Empyrean’s are gone the Elex has resumed its roll as my daily driver and the Elex is still my favorite headphone I currently own.

Vs. my Audeze LCD2 Classic
The initial thought that comes to mind regarding this comparison, is the Empyrean’s make my Audeze’s seem bass light in comparison, it is amazing what the Empyrean’s are capable of.

Vs. my Verum V1
The Verum’s are more treble forward/harsh, they lack the detail, imaging, bass control etc. that the Empyrean’s offer. The Empyrean’s are the better sounding headphones.

Overall Impressions

Overall these headphones are flat out amazing in what they can do, they allow me to enjoy music like never before. They are my favorite headphones for enjoying music.
Are they detail kings!? No.
Are they the best in Imaging!? No.
Do they have the best response throughout the frequency range? No.
But that isn’t the point, the Empyrean’s are not the ‘best’ in any one category, However they are really good across all categories. They are forgiving and IMO are probably the best ‘all-rounders’ you can currently buy. IMO these are the headphones to grab to just sit back relax and enjoy music. Which IMO is what this hobby is about! Enjoying music!

Final Thoughts

Though this headphone did not initially impress me, after listening to it, now it has become my favorite headphone for enjoying music. It is an absolute recommendation, for those of you who like to just enjoy your music. For those of you who want to analyze and find all of the details in your music, this is not my first choice for those purposes. That being said, when I am able I will purchase the Empyrean.

Pictures
As you might be able to tell my wife and I are Disney Fans.

E04CE058-7F75-430C-BED0-345CA00E7A96.jpeg A12F7BF3-8475-4297-9F28-D68AD4DD9614.jpeg 07437C59-D7CA-4100-9E54-1599531BEDD6.jpeg 542402FB-5913-4A07-A0A7-289D9DD95D3E.jpeg 2BD14D5A-66F9-45D0-BBC5-54935C51034D.jpeg CC17E43F-17C9-408D-A8B2-D1AEE690713E.jpeg 2033573F-981D-4461-BCA7-F47C72E04886.jpeg 862C5E47-7133-4190-9E26-3FDC79C25899.jpeg

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #66 of 73
Nice product shots. :-D

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #70 of 73
Dec 7, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #72 of 73
This was the best review for headphone I have ever read so far!

Oh my. Thank you very much! The Empyrean is very special, and Meze took the necessary chances to create a rare gem. I would be happy selling all of my other headphones (except the ON2’s, RIP) for the Empyrean.

Thank you, again. Cheers.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #73 of 73
Thank for the Empyrean reviews, Super helpful in deciding on what to upgrade to. Any thoughts on how it might pair with a JDS Atom amp? Source will be either a Mytek 192 DSD in bypass mode or a Prime Audio Lyra II in bypass mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back