Meze Empyrean Loaner Program
May 12, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #46 of 73
Meze Empyrean
First I would like to Thank Todd @ TTVJ for this loaner opportunity.
I would like to thank my friend Alan for loaning me the Moon audio 230had.

Well, I waited a long, long time to get these bad boys home. They are so worth it!
20190508_081921.jpg

Meze Empyrean - packaging.
They come in a nice carrying case made out of aluminum. Which nicely secures the headphones for travel purposes. I think it's of high-quality build.

20190511_201054.jpg

Moon audio 230had - Meze Empyrean

Meze build quality is outstanding! The desing is truly beautiful! My favorite headphone over anything released thus far. The leather, the carbon fiber and the grill design is truly something special in pictures. In person it's even more beautiful. I could look at these for years and still be baffled at the level of detail here. Outstanding @Antonio Meze

Comfort -
Honestly, the most comfortable pair of headphones to grace my head. And I heard almost every single totl headphone made. Plush, luxurious, lightweight.

20190507_221206.jpg

Sound quality -

The sound quality changes with both sets of pads.
Alcantara pads - The material is super comfortable. It takes off the edge of the sound. I feel like these pads lose a little on the detail but also feel better for longer listening sessions without discomfort.
The bass becomes a little tighter and not as impactful.

Leather pads - The material feels like leather airbags around your head that are filled with air. Both pads are super thick and easily cover my ears.
My ears get a littler hot after a long period of usage with the leather pads. They are still very comfortable.
Sound quality is better with the leather pads. More impact with bass and the rest of the sounds like the mids, and highs. The sound is a little more 3 dimensional in the soundstage. It sounds like it's on your sides. Crisp, clean and realistic sounding.
I prefer these over the Utopia I owned twice. In every single aspect. From build, to sound quality and bass.
These things can pound when driven properly.
I lay down and drift away with these on my head. I forget they are on my head. Vocals sound rich. With either male, or female. Realistic with depth to the voices. Smooth as silk. The music can sound peaceful and at any minute it can rattle your brain around with bliss with raising the volume. When you play them loud the sound remains coherent. It's really awesome!.20190512_131203.jpg

Conclusion -

I love these headphones. So much so that I changed my profile pic. Lol, They do everything I love. And I love this hobby. They are exactly how I imagined them to be. I wouldn't change a thing and I think these might be my next purchase unless something crazier comes out. Nothing has impressed me more than the Meze Empyrean.

Thank you for reading and I hope everyone gets to experience these bad boys!.

20190511_201810.jpg
20190508_100213.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #47 of 73
After reading reviews, both pro and user, I am left with one question about the Meze Empyrean.

One quality in the comparison between open and closed back headphones. Open-back headphones are generally thinner sounding than closed back. I noticed this recently when I bought some IEMs. They are quite cheap and can be bought for a steal at the moment on Richer Sounds UK. (I bought two pairs.) The AKG N40. Excellent budget IEMs.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed they did was resolve sounds better than my other headphones. The richness floored me. I hear instruments in headphones that I never noticed before. Or instruments that I could hear, but were never fully resolved. … Just in case I am using a term incorrectly here, when I say resolved. I mean heard all of sound of the instrument. I don't mean I heard all the detail of the instrument. As I would need to spend much more for that. I meant I heard the body of the sound, the timbre of the instrument. E.g. I had heard trumpet noises on other headphones, but on the N40 I heard full trumpet tonal characteristics.

I guess you all know all exactly what I mean. Just for me it was a bit of a shock recently. Well with the Empyrean being open backed, I am wondering about it's resolving power, to the point where I am considering closed back headphones. It's not for certain that I would buy the Empyrean. However unless I audition a pair, I can't really evaluate it any further.

The issue is that closed back headphones get hot. Am stuck. There's nowhere even remotely close by that I know of where I could audition the Empyrean. Am not well at the moment, so travelling is not an option.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #49 of 73
Hi All,

I have the Empyrean. The shipping box had reached the end of its usefulness and I wanted to get the Cardas cable reterminated so there would no longer be a connection problem with the 1/4' Plug.

I expect it to ship out to craigfralick today, tomorrow at the latest.

Also, we have the Empyreans in stock and ready to ship...

Todd

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #50 of 73
Greetings all, these are my impressions after spending some time with the Meze Empyrean.

Build quality and presentation is excellent! The headphones come inside an aluminium carrying case which is actually useful and totally lends itself as a proper storage for the headphones. I did not mind using it for every listening session, taking the headphones in and out did not feel like a chore and it did not have any negative impact on the overall enjoyment of having these around.

In the box along with the headphones you'll find an extra set of earpads.One pair is soft leather the other is alcantara, both are premium and very comfy. Also in the box is a detachable 1/4" cable that is almost 10 ft long which is a bit too long for my taste personally. The cable is sheathed under the Y split and the upper part of it is rubber. All around nice looking cable, all the connectors have "Meze Audio" branded on them and so is the y split. The cable does feel ok but could definitely benefit if it was softer.

The headphones themselves are superbly built. Attention to detail is obvious, from the materials that are used all the way to the balanced feel on your head and likewise the comfort. Earpads are plush and while the headphones are not necessarily light weight, they are so comfortable that weight was never an issue for me. Btw, kudos to Meze for the magnetically attached earpads, changing earpads on other cans will never be the same! Lol!

Act I:
On to the sound!
...A short disclaimer here in case you haven't noticed by now, I am not a reviewer of any sorts so I'll try and do my best to describe what I hear!

The Empyrean have a sound that's on the warmer side of neutral to me. I found the alcantara pads gave a more even sound over the leather ones but it was also a bit more boring to listen to, they smooth everything over and details are lost. Personally, I skipped on the Alcantara pads as the leather ones were a step above in my book. My guess is that these headphones were tuned with these leather pads in mind, the alcantara is just a nice bonus in case you have a thing for velvety pads. Lol. In all honesty though, I do think they would come in handy as they do offer something different sound wise especially for the long run. Hey sometimes change can be a good thing!

From my time with the Empyrean I found them to have a pretty safe sound signature. In my opinion they are definitely non fatiguing. While bass could be a bit over emphasized it wasn't to a point of fatigue or grossly overdone. For the most part I felt the bass could definitely be a bit much, I found it a bit too prominent and warm for my liking.
The highs were never piercing and I did not have any issues with sibilance which I can be very sensitive to at times. They actually had very nice definition and some air but it sort of takes a bit of back seat compared to the mid bass. They are definitely not missing but they are not as bumped up as I'd like. Overall I'd say the highs are actually very good just a bit lacking in presence.
The mids in general are also very well done, voices sound nice and full, without being chesty. I did not think the mids were recessed and are very well placed. Upper mids are a bit relaxed, rock guitars can sound a tiny bit softer than what I like. I felt I was missing some crunch and edge to guitar riffs at times.

I did feel the Empyrean was a bit lacking in transparency. For me personally I feel this is what connects me to the music the most, the Empyrean struck me as a bit veiled for my taste. The mid bass and lower mids boost is making it hard for me to get past that, otherwise everything is quite right IMO.
To be fair, I do tend to lean more towards leaner, livelier and faster sounding headphones like the Hd800 and the Jade II electrostatic rig I auditioned about a month ago so not everybody will feel as I do when it comes to this.

Soundstage width was more than adequate, short of the expansive hd800 but so is everything else as far as I know. I would have liked to hear a bit more depth to make these a bit more holographic.

For a $3k headphone quite frankly I expected a bit more resolution. Comparing it to the Hd800, the Hd800 to me has more focus, tons of separation and a good level of transparency. On the other hand, this might be the fact that the Empyrean are not sonically design to do that. Quite simply this is a bit of an apples to oranges thing. Unfortunately for the Empyrean, their price tag does come with certain level of expectancy to perform because of that high retail price.(A bit of a disclaimer here, I do EQ the hd800 and also have the SDR mod on them, otherwise I would not be able to stand them for long!). The Empyrean on the other hand doesn't need much help (if any) like I said before, it's kind of hard not to like their tuning, even though it might not be your prefered signature (it wasn't mine) they did grow on me over time and I did find them very enjoyable. The issue that I personally have with them is that I wasn't exactly blown away by them!

I don't know how good these would scale with "better" gear or perhaps I'm just drawn to headphones that do at least one thing really really well. I don't feel like the Empyrean do any one thing that is sonically above the rest. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on one's own personal taste and needs. It definitely doesn't have as many faults as other headphones like the HD800 do. Another big plus about the Empyrean is that it is not very difficult to drive and will not be as amp dependent as say the Hd800, then again I'm sure a totl amp should certainly bring out the most out of these headphones. (More on this later...)
One more note here, I am naturally not a very high volume listener, I found that these really do come more to life when the volume starts getting a bit higher. If you find the Empyrean lacking a bit, you might want to give them a bit more volume and see if that helps!

Note: The above impressions are from the Empyrean using the stock cable, a week later I then received the cardas clear cable straight from Cardas. Apparently the first Cardas cable sent out with the Empyrean had issues so Todd got another one and it was sent to me directly from Cardas.

Act II:
My very first impression when using the Cardas Clear cable over the stock cable was, well, "Clear". It seemed as though a thin layer of haze had been lifted from mid and high frequencies as well as having the bass a bit tighter and well at least a bit less pronounced imo. I myself took this "with a grain of salt", as I know first impressions are not always the best to go by...
Days later I decided to do a side by side comparison to see if I could still clearly hear a difference. I plugged them in straight to my RME ADI-2 dac so I can better match the volume. For this I used an spl meter app on my phone and then played white noise, being very careful to have the phone and headphones in exactly the same spot after changing out the cables. Best I could see is that the Cardas cable is about a decibel louder on the volume knob so I then had no trouble volume matching between the cables since it's a digital volume readout.

Next, I'll list a few tracks tracks and see if I hear any difference between the two cables.

Grandma's Hands - Livingston Taylor:
The Cardas cable appears to have a lower noise floor and so it has a more transparent sound over the stock cable. This track is acapella so mostly the vocals and fingersnaps of the performers are in the track. Throughout the track it is slightly easier to pick up very subtle nuances with the Cardas because of an apparent slight haze the stock cable has vs the Cardas. The Cardas just seems a bit more convincing as a whole, it feels more like you are there in the room with the performers where this track was recorded.

Vivaldi's Flute Concerto in D - The Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble:
Once again to me the slightly clearer sounding Cardas is what's making the difference.
Slightly lower noise seem to result in a bit more dynamic sound. When it comes to nuance, the breathing (inhaling) and then blowing into the flute is more apparent and easier to hear into. All instruments in the piece also have better focus, and a bit more air around each of them. Towards the very end of the track when the whole orchestra kicks in, the stock cable does not handle it as well as the Cardas does and it sounds more bloated and loses a bit more focus because of that bloat.

Moondance - Van Morrison:
Right off the bat, the bassline on this is a bit more taught, tighter and has better groove with the Cardas. The sound is also a bit more three dimensional as the cymbals are more clearly behind the bass. It might sound strange but the music has better flow with the Cardas. On the stock cable the bass sounds duller and definitely more rounded with softer edges. The cymbals are not as well defined and they sound smeared.
I heard this track more than a handful of times for this comparison, and every time the Cardas just simply pulls ahead. It is easier to follow each instrument, and being able to hear more clearly into each respective instrument (vocals included) just really gives me a feeling of satisfaction. In other words it's more resolving than with the stock cable.
In my opinion the Cardas really is able to squeeze just a little bit more out of the Empyrean and that little bit really does make a difference! This last paragraph pretty much sums up my overall listening experience with the Cardas cable vs stock...

Act III:
A few days before shipping out the Empyrean I bought and received a new amp (new to me anyways), which is the Violectric V200 and boy was this amp a good match for the Empyrean! Previously, I was using the Empyrean either straight from the RME Adi-2 dac or with this dac and a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with LISST tubes as my amp (keep in mind both cables on the Empyrean are single ended and the Mj2's single ended output is not all that great). Compared to the Violectric, the previous two setups were not doing the Empyrean any justice at all!
Another thing, and I almost hate to say it as I've never been much of an aftermarket cable guy, but between the two cables the Cardas is an absolute must! It is just that much better and the Empyrean was brought up to true flagship status!
My listening impressions with this new setup is just about a total 180 degree turn for the better.
I found the bass to be quite amazing and less overbearing. Mids are wonderful, vocals are fantastic! Highs are still as good as before but now are a bit more resolving of the fine details and stand at a more equal plane with the other frequencies.
The soundstage was spot on on these cans. That little bit of resolution that was missing before is now blowing my mind a bit. The positioning of the instruments and vocals on the stage is quite impressive!...
I'm glad I was able to keep the Empyrean for that extra time as it allowed me to fully appreciate what they really have to offer. My only gripe now would be the fact that one must really make the extra expense for an aftermarket cable to squeeze out the extra goodness in these wonderful cans.

Well guys, congrats to you if you managed to read this far! My "review" turned out to be more of a "stream of consciousness listening impressions" than anything else. Lol
As always, a great big thanks to Todd Green for letting me borrow these, it was a pleasure and definitely a good trip! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #51 of 73
Greetings all, these are my impressions after spending some time with the Meze Empyrean.

Build quality and presentation is excellent! The headphones come inside an aluminium carrying case which is actually useful and totally lends itself as a proper storage for the headphones. I did not mind using it for every listening session, taking the headphones in and out did not feel like a chore and it did not have any negative impact on the overall enjoyment of having these around.

In the box along with the headphones you'll find an extra set of earpads.One pair is soft leather the other is alcantara, both are premium and very comfy. Also in the box is a detachable 1/4" cable that is almost 10 ft long which is a bit too long for my taste personally. The cable is sheathed under the Y split and the upper part of it is rubber. All around nice looking cable, all the connectors have "Meze Audio" branded on them and so is the y split. The cable does feel ok but could definitely benefit if it was softer.

The headphones themselves are superbly built. Attention to detail is obvious, from the materials that are used all the way to the balanced feel on your head and likewise the comfort. Earpads are plush and while the headphones are not necessarily light weight, they are so comfortable that weight was never an issue for me. Btw, kudos to Meze for the magnetically attached earpads, changing earpads on other cans will never be the same! Lol!

Act I:
On to the sound!
...A short disclaimer here in case you haven't noticed by now, I am not a reviewer of any sorts so I'll try and do my best to describe what I hear!

The Empyrean have a sound that's on the warmer side of neutral to me. I found the alcantara pads gave a more even sound over the leather ones but it was also a bit more boring to listen to, they smooth everything over and details are lost. Personally, I skipped on the Alcantara pads as the leather ones were a step above in my book. My guess is that these headphones were tuned with these leather pads in mind, the alcantara is just a nice bonus in case you have a thing for velvety pads. Lol. In all honesty though, I do think they would come in handy as they do offer something different sound wise especially for the long run. Hey sometimes change can be a good thing!

From my time with the Empyrean I found them to have a pretty safe sound signature. In my opinion they are definitely non fatiguing. While bass could be a bit over emphasized it wasn't to a point of fatigue or grossly overdone. For the most part I felt the bass could definitely be a bit much, I found it a bit too prominent and warm for my liking.
The highs were never piercing and I did not have any issues with sibilance which I can be very sensitive to at times. They actually had very nice definition and some air but it sort of takes a bit of back seat compared to the mid bass. They are definitely not missing but they are not as bumped up as I'd like. Overall I'd say the highs are actually very good just a bit lacking in presence.
The mids in general are also very well done, voices sound nice and full, without being chesty. I did not think the mids were recessed and are very well placed. Upper mids are a bit relaxed, rock guitars can sound a tiny bit softer than what I like. I felt I was missing some crunch and edge to guitar riffs at times.

I did feel the Empyrean was a bit lacking in transparency. For me personally I feel this is what connects me to the music the most, the Empyrean struck me as a bit veiled for my taste. The mid bass and lower mids boost is making it hard for me to get past that, otherwise everything is quite right IMO.
To be fair, I do tend to lean more towards leaner, livelier and faster sounding headphones like the Hd800 and the Jade II electrostatic rig I auditioned about a month ago so not everybody will feel as I do when it comes to this.

Soundstage width was more than adequate, short of the expansive hd800 but so is everything else as far as I know. I would have liked to hear a bit more depth to make these a bit more holographic.

For a $3k headphone quite frankly I expected a bit more resolution. Comparing it to the Hd800, the Hd800 to me has more focus, tons of separation and a good level of transparency. On the other hand, this might be the fact that the Empyrean are not sonically design to do that. Quite simply this is a bit of an apples to oranges thing. Unfortunately for the Empyrean, their price tag does come with certain level of expectancy to perform because of that high retail price.(A bit of a disclaimer here, I do EQ the hd800 and also have the SDR mod on them, otherwise I would not be able to stand them for long!). The Empyrean on the other hand doesn't need much help (if any) like I said before, it's kind of hard not to like their tuning, even though it might not be your prefered signature (it wasn't mine) they did grow on me over time and I did find them very enjoyable. The issue that I personally have with them is that I wasn't exactly blown away by them!

I don't know how good these would scale with "better" gear or perhaps I'm just drawn to headphones that do at least one thing really really well. I don't feel like the Empyrean do any one thing that is sonically above the rest. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on one's own personal taste and needs. It definitely doesn't have as many faults as other headphones like the HD800 do. Another big plus about the Empyrean is that it is not very difficult to drive and will not be as amp dependent as say the Hd800, then again I'm sure a totl amp should certainly bring out the most out of these headphones. (More on this later...)
One more note here, I am naturally not a very high volume listener, I found that these really do come more to life when the volume starts getting a bit higher. If you find the Empyrean lacking a bit, you might want to give them a bit more volume and see if that helps!

Note: The above impressions are from the Empyrean using the stock cable, a week later I then received the cardas clear cable straight from Cardas. Apparently the first Cardas cable sent out with the Empyrean had issues so Todd got another one and it was sent to me directly from Cardas.

Act II:
My very first impression when using the Cardas Clear cable over the stock cable was, well, "Clear". It seemed as though a thin layer of haze had been lifted from mid and high frequencies as well as having the bass a bit tighter and well at least a bit less pronounced imo. I myself took this "with a grain of salt", as I know first impressions are not always the best to go by...
Days later I decided to do a side by side comparison to see if I could still clearly hear a difference. I plugged them in straight to my RME ADI-2 dac so I can better match the volume. For this I used an spl meter app on my phone and then played white noise, being very careful to have the phone and headphones in exactly the same spot after changing out the cables. Best I could see is that the Cardas cable is about a decibel louder on the volume knob so I then had no trouble volume matching between the cables since it's a digital volume readout.

Next, I'll list a few tracks tracks and see if I hear any difference between the two cables.

Grandma's Hands - Livingston Taylor:
The Cardas cable appears to have a lower noise floor and so it has a more transparent sound over the stock cable. This track is acapella so mostly the vocals and fingersnaps of the performers are in the track. Throughout the track it is slightly easier to pick up very subtle nuances with the Cardas because of an apparent slight haze the stock cable has vs the Cardas. The Cardas just seems a bit more convincing as a whole, it feels more like you are there in the room with the performers where this track was recorded.

Vivaldi's Flute Concerto in D - The Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble:
Once again to me the slightly clearer sounding Cardas is what's making the difference.
Slightly lower noise seem to result in a bit more dynamic sound. When it comes to nuance, the breathing (inhaling) and then blowing into the flute is more apparent and easier to hear into. All instruments in the piece also have better focus, and a bit more air around each of them. Towards the very end of the track when the whole orchestra kicks in, the stock cable does not handle it as well as the Cardas does and it sounds more bloated and loses a bit more focus because of that bloat.

Moondance - Van Morrison:
Right off the bat, the bassline on this is a bit more taught, tighter and has better groove with the Cardas. The sound is also a bit more three dimensional as the cymbals are more clearly behind the bass. It might sound strange but the music has better flow with the Cardas. On the stock cable the bass sounds duller and definitely more rounded with softer edges. The cymbals are not as well defined and they sound smeared.
I heard this track more than a handful of times for this comparison, and every time the Cardas just simply pulls ahead. It is easier to follow each instrument, and being able to hear more clearly into each respective instrument (vocals included) just really gives me a feeling of satisfaction. In other words it's more resolving than with the stock cable.
In my opinion the Cardas really is able to squeeze just a little bit more out of the Empyrean and that little bit really does make a difference! This last paragraph pretty much sums up my overall listening experience with the Cardas cable vs stock...

Act III:
A few days before shipping out the Empyrean I bought and received a new amp (new to me anyways), which is the Violectric V200 and boy was this amp a good match for the Empyrean! Previously, I was using the Empyrean either straight from the RME Adi-2 dac or with this dac and a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with LISST tubes as my amp (keep in mind both cables on the Empyrean are single ended and the Mj2's single ended output is not all that great). Compared to the Violectric, the previous two setups were not doing the Empyrean any justice at all!
Another thing, and I almost hate to say it as I've never been much of an aftermarket cable guy, but between the two cables the Cardas is an absolute must! It is just that much better and the Empyrean was brought up to true flagship status!
My listening impressions with this new setup is just about a total 180 degree turn for the better.
I found the bass to be quite amazing and less overbearing. Mids are wonderful, vocals are fantastic! Highs are still as good as before but now are a bit more resolving of the fine details and stand at a more equal plane with the other frequencies.
The soundstage was spot on on these cans. That little bit of resolution that was missing before is now blowing my mind a bit. The positioning of the instruments and vocals on the stage is quite impressive!...
I'm glad I was able to keep the Empyrean for that extra time as it allowed me to fully appreciate what they really have to offer. My only gripe now would be the fact that one must really make the extra expense for an aftermarket cable to squeeze out the extra goodness in these wonderful cans.

Well guys, congrats to you if you managed to read this far! My "review" turned out to be more of a "stream of consciousness listening impressions" than anything else. Lol
As always, a great big thanks to Todd Green for letting me borrow these, it was a pleasure and definitely a good trip! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

I have read that the Empyrean are better matched with a solid state amplification. Not advised to be used with tube amps. I don't know what your second amp was. I did also hear that a silver cable brightens the Empyrean a touch too. (Currawong's review of Empyrean on Youtube.) Meze make a silver coated cable. No idea about that, but probably what it's for.

I have the Chord Electronics TT2. I would probably risk being confident enough to buy the Empyrean, without audition based on that.

(That doesn't mean that the TT2 is anything less than solid. It's just flat in response and you only really hear the headphones' colouration. The TT2 is packed with detail, heft, and subtlety.)

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #52 of 73
I have read that the Empyrean are better matched with a solid state amplification. Not advised to be used with tube amps. I don't know what your second amp was. I did also hear that a silver cable brightens the Empyrean a touch too. (Currawong's review of Empyrean on Youtube.) Meze make a silver coated cable. No idea about that, but probably what it's for.

I have the Chord Electronics TT2. I would probably risk being confident enough to buy the Empyrean, without audition based on that.

(That doesn't mean that the TT2 is anything less than solid. It's just flat in response and you only really hear the headphones' colouration. The TT2 is packed with detail, heft, and subtlety.)
The Empyrean is truly great and I'm sure the TT2 would indeed be a good match for it! I don't know what other reviews say but it really did grow on me, no doubt the better you feed it, the better it'll perform!

Aug 22, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #53 of 73
What’s the status of the location of this headphone?

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #56 of 73
I currently still have the Empyreans but had a little snafu when it was shipped to me. I’ll be able to send these on Tuesday (completes the full week) to the next recipient.

@Todd shoot me Mixman’s info so I can this ready to go for him.

Oct 19, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #57 of 73
I currently still have the Empyreans but had a little snafu when it was shipped to me. I’ll be able to send these on Tuesday (completes the full week) to the next recipient.

@Todd shoot me Mixman’s info so I can this ready to go for him.
I guess I will get these about next Friday?

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #58 of 73
Just dropped it off at Fedex and should be on it’s way to the you @mixman

Will post a review here tomorrow.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #59 of 73
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #60 of 73
Meze Empyreans

Chain: PC --> Bifrost 2 --> UltraSonic Studios Oblivion Amplifier | Apex Teton
Headphones: ZMF Blackwood Auteur | ZMF Verite | Meze Empyrean

Tidal Playlist:
Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
Dave Matthews Band - #41
Tool - Chocolate Chip Trip
Moonchild - Too Much to Ask
Frederick Robinson/Kordz - Flea Waltz
SZA - The Weekend

Build:
I'll reiterate what most, if not all, say about the build: It feels like a $3000 TOTL headphone. Everything is so well meticulously put together. The whole thing has some serious aesthetics. The fit of the the sliders that, by the way, work extremely well, the headband and leather material, the cups with beautiful repeating design on the outside, and the brilliant way you swap earpads. Nothing feels like it was an after thought and instead made me feel like I was wearing an engineers wet dream. It's akin to the Bugatti of the headphone world.

Sound:
With the leather ear pads installed the Empyrean's sound heads south of neutral. It's warm but not where the sub bass or bass just bleeds into the mids. To me, it has almost the perfect amount of bass. I felt that the Alcantara ear pads was too warm for my tastes. Although, playing SZA - The Weekend was very satisfying with the Alcantara pads. It's planar fast with nice and tight planar bass. Separation is very strong on the Empyrean, with great imaging, and air between instruments. From memory I will say that the Hifiman HEK V2 has more air between instruments. The Empyreans remind me of the Ether 2s with very low distortion which then creates a very clean and clear sound. Instruments pop out of a black background compared to the dynamic headphones. About the few places I can ding it is in the treble extension and transients on my chain. It seems to be missing just that last bit of sparkle and transients aren't as sharp as other headphones. You may need
to pair it with a brighter dac or amp depending on what you currently own to get the most out of it. The Oblivion amplifier has some very nice transients on both ZMF headphones but still sounded rounded with the Empyreans.

Headphone Comparison:
ZMF Blackwood Auteur - The Auteur Blackwoods just has some of the best tone and timbre I've heard in a headphone. It has satisfying treble extension and excels at transients. The Auteurs definitely win here. Where the Empyreans really shine are in its low distortion, instrument separation, low bass extension, and how tall the stage is. The Auteurs can get a little "busy" when you have a lot of instruments going at once. You'll find that separation takes a hit on the Auteurs while you can follow all of the instruments easily on the Empyreans. It also feels like the Empyrean breathes better than the Auteurs. There is tasteful reverb from the wooden cups on the Auteur that the Empyreans don't have but you do have notes popping out of the planar's black background. Both do sub bass extension well, except on the Auteurs you can hear it with a slight rumble, while on the Empys it's heard and felt. Mid bass punch is great on both headphones but with the bass being much tighter on the Empys, it gets the win. Sound stage width is slightly larger and taller on the Empyreans.

ZMF Pheasantwood Verite - The Empyreans are almost the planar version of the Verite. Both to my ears have the same tone and timbre. Speed goes to the Verite with the Verite also displaying its holographic sound stage that the Empyreans gets close to but can't beat. The Empyrean still sounds cleaner because of the black background but part of that is because of the wood use in Zach's headphones. It's a bit of a trade off, do you get some nice cup reverb or do you prefer the clarity of a planar? It's not to say that the Verite gets muddy like the Auteurs when passages are very busy, no, the Verite and Empyreans eat these busy passages up easily. They both excel and instrument separation and imaging. Another strength of the Verite is microdynamics. Small gradients of instrument volume changes can be easily picked out on the Verite compared to the Empyreans. Still, the Empyrean is no slouch here. The Verite also has slightly better treble extension. Sound stage width is about equal with the height going to the Empyreans. Other than that they both almost have the same identical sound.

Conclusion: I was very interested in these headphones when they came out. This is what I thought the Ether 2 would sound like in my mind.The headphones gives you great body, separation, in non-offensive sound. It looks to pair well with most genres and is somewhat forgiving of badly recorded tracks. . If I only owned a nice solid state drive I'd definitely consider the Empyreans. The Hifiman HEK V2 do breathe better and has even more air between instruments. Better transients as well but you're looking at a headphone that needs to be paired with a warm headphone amplifier. Unless you're willing on betting you ears on the treble peaks. They also don't have the body and punch that the Empyreans have and finally the build. I’d trust the Empyreans lasting a much longer time than the fragile Hifimans.

If I had to pick between the Verite and the Empyreans I'd personally go with the Verite. They just appeal more to my senses but the Empyreans may appeal to yours.

I want to thank Todd for giving Head-Fiers the chance to listen to these headphones and also for keeping the community engaged. Upstanding guy to lend out a $3000 headphone to strangers. Thanks!

8522682D-4C0F-46F1-BACC-1E59C89D0483.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back