Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 20, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #286 of 1,474
I just jumped in my favourite HP shop, and what have I found on the audition table?

Someone with very good taste was there before.

Liric.jpg

Unfortunately I had no time for comparision, the small new beauty took it all.

Unmistakably Meze sound. Surprisingly wide and open sounding for a closed back hp. Very good sinergy with my Hiby R8.
Side note: I am seeing for the first time on HeadFi someone listening to Magma! :) Nice...nice, nice!

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #287 of 1,474
Is there a reason you didn’t go for a warmer - more empyrean tuning? This is what I want! Maybe you can do another warmer version in the future.
Family Sound Signature

The Liric is the third Isodynamic-based headphones from Meze Audio. Together with the Elite and Empyrean, they slowly grow into one of the most respectable “family” in high-end headphone market.
That's why 🦇

Edit: read that post more and he explains in a tad more detail.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #288 of 1,474
People may hate me for this, but you know what I would love to see? A larger (physically, think ELITE/Empyrean pad sized) closed back from Meze, with the exact ELITE driver, with the closed back tech and headband from the LIRIC. I'd have an incredibly hard time not being interested in that headphone, if it was ever created.
Don't forget about the easily replaceable magnetic earpads, too.

It's hard to believe that Meze would go to the trouble of inventing an ingenious design for replacing the one thing that is going to wear out the fastest on their $3000 and $4000 headphones, and then decide to not include it on their $2000 headphone. :frowning::confounded:

Pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #289 of 1,474
when a headphones sound that way do you like, how often do you change the earpads?

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #290 of 1,474

It's hard to believe that Meze would invent an ingenious design for replacing the one thing that is going to wear out the fastest on their $3000 and $4000 headphones, and then decide not to include it on their $2000 headphone. :frowning::confounded:

New tech. Always takes time. Give it a bit to settle, it'll be figured out eventually. Ever look at the first pair of headphones, from like 111 years ago? Took a long while to get to where we're at, certainly wouldn't have succeeded if rejected at first introduction. Or cars, phones, blah blah etc.

I certainly wouldn't spend towards most headphones others "waste" a ton of money on. But despite that strong opinion, very grateful for them, without their need to have new cans so often, progress wouldn't progress as much, and certainly wouldn't have made Antonio want to create his own line of HeadFi, and I wouldn't have these gorgeous Empyrean's.

New anything is almost always met with resistance and as per Darko, the "pain period" of others slowly coming to terms and acceptance of said new thing. Solar was met with great resistance initially, now being used everywhere (lot more than before anyway). We're human, improvements and new stuff will never stop, just takes time and trials & errors. 🦇

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #291 of 1,474

It's hard to believe that Meze would go to the trouble of inventing an ingenious design for replacing the one thing that is going to wear out the fastest on their $3000 and $4000 headphones, and then decide to not to include it on their $2000 headphone. :frowning::confounded:

We're talking about Meze, they put tremendous effort on detail.
The glued pads are certainly no oversight, especially since Meze already knows how to create the best magnetic pad system on the market.

I'm pretty sure that the glued pads are for sound reasons and for their new Ear Pad Air Flow system.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #292 of 1,474
We're talking about Meze, they put tremendous effort on detail.
The glued pads are certainly no oversight, especially since Meze already knows how to create the best magnetic pad system on the market.

I'm pretty sure that the glued pads are for sound reasons and for their new Ear Pad Air Flow system.
Honestly, I don't care what their reasons are for making the LIRIC’s earpads non-removable.

IMO, if you can't make your high-end headphone sound good without being able to easily replace it's earpads, then don't make it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #293 of 1,474
Honestly, I don't care what their reasons are for making the Liric's earpads non-removable.

IMO, if you can't make your high-end headphone sound good without being able to easily replace it's earpads, then don't make it.
Well you're free to have your opinion. Move along and look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #294 of 1,474
Honestly, I don't care what their reasons are for making the Liric's earpads non-removable.

There is a solution to get exactly what you want the way you want it. I got all pissy the first time my wife told it to me, but she's right, guaranteed way over any other options:

Make your own. 🎃🎧🖖🏼

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #295 of 1,474

It's hard to believe that Meze would go to the trouble of inventing an ingenious design for replacing the one thing that is going to wear out the fastest on their $3000 and $4000 headphones, and then decide to not include it on their $2000 headphone. :frowning::confounded:

Whilst I agree that the lack of removable pads is indeed a strange design choice, given the plethora of competing headphones that offer this precise option, I'll opt to give Meze the benefit of the doubt; if they have done this with sonic considerations in mind, and this is the best solution that they could conjure at that point in time, I think I wouldn't further question the agenda at hand. :)

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #296 of 1,474
Nice to see all the positive comments. Also nice to see the number of folks who can afford $2000 headphones. The government stimulus must be working! :grin: Remember not too long ago when $800 -$1000 was unaffordable. Now it's budget.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #297 of 1,474
Nice to see all the positive comments. Also nice to see the number of folks who can afford $2000 headphones. The government stimulus must be working! :grin: Remember not too long ago when $800 -$1000 was unaffordable. Now it's budget.
I see that many audiophile stores in the US offers great payment plans for more expensive gear, it isn't as great in Europe, so I usually use a payment plan from a credit card (as long as there isn't any interest rates).

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #298 of 1,474
Liric Impressions
I had them now for a few days and since they are so addicting I listened A LOT to them.
For comparisons I have the bigger Brothers Empyrean and Elite.

First question one might have: Is it a closed Empyrean or Elite?
And the answer is neither, they have their very own signature. Tonality wise they are still closer to the Elite than the Empyrean.

The Empyrean is the warmest and thickest of the lineup. The Liric has a leaner and more defined structure not unlike the Elite. Upper Bass and lower mids are slightly recessed, which makes them the most V shaped of the bunch, however they still retain a natural close to neutral balance.

Treble is sparkly and energetic but luckily they are not bright, Meze house sound is still there just in a new flavour.
The Mids, due to being recessed can't live up to the bigger Brothers though. To be fair the mids are what the other Mezes excel at and both of them cost significantly more.
Not that they are bad on the Liric, it's just that I am used to the bigger Brothers, which makes it an uphill battle to begin with.

Soundstage is remarkable, most of the time I forget that they are closed. If it weren't for the Isolation, which reminds one of the closed nature. Imaging and detail are good, but the open Models are superior here, the Elite by a significant margin even.

Comfort is absolutely on par with the bigger Mezes, which is quite surprising.
No other company could match the Elite comfort and Meze did it with a second, completely different Design.
The pads feel very nice to the touch. This time without alternatives though.

Now I saved the best for Last, the Bass!
Are they V-Moda like basscannons?
Of course not, they are still tuned for audiophiles but with tastefully elevated Bass.

While the Empyrean has also elevated Bass the distribution is different.
The Empyrean has a bump in the mid to upper Bass Region, while the Liric has it in the Lower Region. It has exceptional subbass, in quality, quantity as well as extension.
Even with the elevation it always stays textured and well controlled.
It's super addicting and for me the unique selling point of the Liric.
To me it seems certainly stronger than on the open models and I don't really understand why most others call it neutraly tuned.
The Elite still has by far the best impact (not only of the Meze but all planars I ever heard), but has to admit defeat in the subbass.

Overall the signature is very energetic engaging and Musical. Just like we're used to from Meze, the Liric gets you toetapping in no time.

The First closed back from Meze is a great success in my book. The subbass capabilities pleasantly surprised me and I can't describe how happy I am to have chosen the Liric over the CRBN (which will still come in like a year...)
Even though they are much more affordable than my other cans, they will certainly receive equal headtime.

Where should Meze go from here?
If I could wish for a new Meze headphone, it would be another ultra high end flagship. It would certainly have the mid Bass to treble region of the Elite but with the Liric subbass.
The Elite did nearly everything perfect in my book, except for the subbass. Now the Liric perfected that one.
Sure it's not possible to combine all the strengths of their open and closed backs into one headphone, but maybe they manage to translate more of the Elites strengths into a higher tier closed back, while keeping the Lirics subbass. At least that's my dream.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #299 of 1,474
Liric Impressions
I had them now for a few days and since they are so addicting I listened A LOT to them.
For comparisons I have the bigger Brothers Empyrean and Elite.

First question one might have: Is it a closed Empyrean or Elite?
And the answer is neither, they have their very own signature. Tonality wise they are still closer to the Elite than the Empyrean.

The Empyrean is the warmest and thickest of the lineup. The Liric has a leaner and more defined structure not unlike the Elite. Upper Bass and lower mids are slightly recessed, which makes them the most V shaped of the bunch, however they still retain a natural close to neutral balance.

Treble is sparkly and energetic but luckily they are not bright, Meze house sound is still there just in a new flavour.
The Mids, due to being recessed can't live up to the bigger Brothers though. To be fair the mids are what the other Mezes excel at and both of them cost significantly more.
Not that they are bad on the Liric, it's just that I am used to the bigger Brothers, which makes it an uphill battle to begin with.

Soundstage is remarkable, most of the time I forget that they are closed. If it weren't for the Isolation, which reminds one of the closed nature. Imaging and detail are good, but the open Models are superior here, the Elite by a significant margin even.

Comfort is absolutely on par with the bigger Mezes, which is quite surprising.
No other company could match the Elite comfort and Meze did it with a second, completely different Design.
The pads feel very nice to the touch. This time without alternatives though.

Now I saved the best for Last, the Bass!
Are they V-Moda like basscannons?
Of course not, they are still tuned for audiophiles but with tastefully elevated Bass.

While the Empyrean has also elevated Bass the distribution is different.
The Empyrean has a bump in the mid to upper Bass Region, while the Liric has it in the Lower Region. It has exceptional subbass, in quality, quantity as well as extension.
Even with the elevation it always stays textured and well controlled.
It's super addicting and for me the unique selling point of the Liric.
To me it seems certainly stronger than on the open models and I don't really understand why most others call it neutraly tuned.
The Elite still has by far the best impact (not only of the Meze but all planars I ever heard), but has to admit defeat in the subbass.

Overall the signature is very energetic engaging and Musical. Just like we're used to from Meze, the Liric gets you toetapping in no time.

The First closed back from Meze is a great success in my book. The subbass capabilities pleasantly surprised me and I can't describe how happy I am to have chosen the Liric over the CRBN (which will still come in like a year...)
Even though they are much more affordable than my other cans, they will certainly receive equal headtime.

Where should Meze go from here?
If I could wish for a new Meze headphone, it would be another ultra high end flagship. It would certainly have the mid Bass to treble region of the Elite but with the Liric subbass.
The Elite did nearly everything perfect in my book, except for the subbass. Now the Liric perfected that one.
Sure it's not possible to combine all the strengths of their open and closed backs into one headphone, but maybe they manage to translate more of the Elites strengths into a higher tier closed back, while keeping the Lirics subbass. At least that's my dream.
Very good impressions, thanks. Reminds me the feeling I get when I use my 9200s (now on my head :wink: ) regarding to the subbass capabilities. I love the Denon's subbass and I think the Liric would be redundant in my collection because both headphones are well balanced with a very good subbass.

My wallet thanks Thanatos and also Malevolent for their impressions :beerchug:

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #300 of 1,474
Good to know, I didn't get a portable solution yet, therefore my Liric enjoys ultra quality amplification.
From the specs though they are very efficient, at least compared to the majority of the market.

Now that I Think about it, maybe the strong amplification is why I have a different perception of Lirics Bass compared to most early reviewers here.
I just wanted to mentioned the same idea. You have a gear that does not shy to flow some Ampers. I think the dac plays an important an role as well.

The Hiby R8 is an excellent mobile companion with strong slam, deep bass.

The bass was not lacking at all on the Dave either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back