MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #5,296 of 5,614
Well it turns out the Empy 2 didn't make it back from CanJam Dallas in time for me to try it at Bloom today. But they did have an Elite and happened to have some of the new duo pads from the Empy 2 on hand so I got to try them on the Elite.

Basically I felt the duo pads were in between the angled alcantara and the hybrids. I think I liked the hybrids best personally. They had some of the bass bloom the Mezes are known for but this also gave it a wonderful full resonance and impact. The duo pad cut away the bloom (and along with it some impact) and I would say they were likely more accurate than the hybrids. The angled alcantara were my least favorite, too much cut away from the low end imo, probably only would use them for classical.

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #5,297 of 5,614
Well it turns out the Empy 2 didn't make it back from CanJam Dallas in time for me to try it at Bloom today. But they did have an Elite and happened to have some of the new duo pads from the Empy 2 on hand so I got to try them on the Elite.

Basically I felt the duo pads were in between the angled alcantara and the hybrids. I think I liked the hybrids best personally. They had some of the bass bloom the Mezes are known for but this also gave it a wonderful full resonance and impact. The duo pad cut away the bloom (and along with it some impact) and I would say they were likely more accurate than the hybrids. The angled alcantara were my least favorite, too much cut away from the low end imo, probably only would use them for classical.
Thanks for the impressions! My main question is, did it take anything away from the Elite's upper treble spiciness? I love my Elite but that's the only thing that bugs me from time to time. The Empy 2, from online measurements, does not seem to have that upper peak, and I'm hoping the Duo pads are helping with that...

Nov 16, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #5,298 of 5,614
Thanks for the impressions! My main question is, did it take anything away from the Elite's upper treble spiciness? I love my Elite but that's the only thing that bugs me from time to time. The Empy 2, from online measurements, does not seem to have that upper peak, and I'm hoping the Duo pads are helping with that...
On what dac/amp do you experience upper treble spiciness with the Elite?

Nov 16, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #5,299 of 5,614
Hmmm can't say I noticed any upper treble spiciness on any of the pads. If there's one thing the Mezes are known for it's being smooth so I'm surprised to hear you find the treble harsh. It's also possible I simply didn't listen to tracks with much content above 15k. That's pretty high, instruments other than maybe cymbals don't even go up that high, it's all overtones/air up there.

For whatever it's worth, I was listening on a Burson Conductor.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #5,300 of 5,614
I wouldn't call 15 kHz "upper treble" so much as "top octave". Now for my own ears and measurements, I do hear and see a 6 kHz peak (and elevation up to 8 kHz prior to the null) that I had to EQ down to achieve a cleaner and more spacious sound. The top octave on the other hand sounded mostly smooth other than one noticeable null I would attribute any such "spiciness" to the headphone's and pads' frequency response as coupled with the shape of your own ears, whereby not everyone may hear the same peaks.

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #5,301 of 5,614
Got the new angled alcantara pads on the Elite the other day, love them! My favorite pads for them. Comfort is perfect for me, and the soundstage and bass are a bit better than the regular alcantara pads I had been using.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5,302 of 5,614

Interesting, now I'm curious more about Duo Pad rather than Angled Alcantara.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #5,303 of 5,614
Interesting, now I'm curious more about Duo Pad rather than Angled Alcantara.
As am I, I did reach out directly to Meze yesterday regarding the new Duo pads release and they did not share a timeline just that it'll be released "soon". I assume as soon as the Empy 2's start getting to people. A mix between the airiness and detail of the AA and the thump and body of the Hybrids sounds lovely.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #5,304 of 5,614
I wouldn't call 15 kHz "upper treble" so much as "top octave". Now for my own ears and measurements, I do hear and see a 6 kHz peak (and elevation up to 8 kHz prior to the null) that I had to EQ down to achieve a cleaner and more spacious sound. The top octave on the other hand sounded mostly smooth other than one noticeable null I would attribute any such "spiciness" to the headphone's and pads' frequency response as coupled with the shape of your own ears, whereby not everyone may hear the same peaks.
I figured 15k-ish was what he was talking about because when I looked up FR curves, that's the only spike I saw.

Nov 17, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #5,305 of 5,614
Ok, got some more refined impressions of the Elites after some more days with all 3 pads. For my specific taste and stack I like the OG Alcantara best.

TL;DR it's a really great headphone and I think I'll keep it long term : )

vs Utopia :
Utopia has the same resolution from a SS amp, but to me it needs to be ran off tubes ... but on tubes it trades resolution for amazing dynamics and slam. Running from tubes Elites are a way more technically proficient headphone. I would say that they are literally a smidge behind Susvara and TC but make it up with tuning and timbre.

vs TC :
I would place them in the same tier, TC has amazing technicalities and slam, but Elites takes timbre and midrange. They trade blows rather equally for me.

Today I got back to exploring Ne Obliviscaris, and Elites are a great vehicle for that. They keep up with layering of those extremely packed and nuanced mixes while still delivering great timbre, texture, drums sound excellent with great body and resonance ... generally it all sounds excellent. That is exactly why I wanted to get this set : ) I remember Empy giving me the same type of sound (Elites with OG Alcantara) but missing last 10% of detail, which Elites serve.

And then changing pads really affects the sound.

And the build is just fantastic. Even as an art piece it's worth it : )

Ok enough gushing, great headphone. My first experiences were a bit hit and miss, but I'm discovering their strenghst and loving the sound.

I would risk saying that Elites are my Susvara ... <<BLASPHEMY!! they shout taking pitchforks xD>> ... but it's true ... Elites give me more less what I wanted from Susvara 🤷‍♂️ : )

Exactly my experience. Sold the susvara after I got the elite. Now I consider getting the ha300bmk2 for the elites 🙈

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #5,306 of 5,614
I figured 15k-ish was what he was talking about because when I looked up FR curves, that's the only spike I saw.
I am of the stance that it is possible for differences in ear physiology to incur the hearing of peaks not present on known test heads. In my case, the upper treble hotness I heard and had to EQ down was from the 6 kHz to 8 kHz region, its having been only one recording where the noise floor managed to specifically excite that top octave peak as manifested in my ears.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #5,307 of 5,614
Exactly my experience. Sold the susvara after I got the elite. Now I consider getting the ha300bmk2 for the elites 🙈
HA300MK2 is a great amp. You do need to set aside some cash for totl 300b. The cheapest way is to grab 2nd hand Psvane WE replica or Acme, but if you have deeper pockets then Elrog and new production WE await :)

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5,308 of 5,614
Hmmm can't say I noticed any upper treble spiciness on any of the pads. If there's one thing the Mezes are known for it's being smooth so I'm surprised to hear you find the treble harsh. It's also possible I simply didn't listen to tracks with much content above 15k. That's pretty high, instruments other than maybe cymbals don't even go up that high, it's all overtones/air up there.

For whatever it's worth, I was listening on a Burson Conductor.
Thanks for all the responses (replying to them all here). I am using a Geek Pulse DAC/Amp (yup, bet you weren't expecting that), but it is actually an excellent product if you were one of the very few that was lucky enough to get one. Very neutral and powerful.

Regarding the 'spiciness', that was the wrong word to use in retrospect. The Elites do, however, have a measured peak around 15K, and I'm 27 years old with pretty sensitive hearing. So it comes off as slightly 'shiny' and 'tizzy' sounding on certain tracks. It doesn't bother me that much, and I still think the Elite is my favourite headphone, but it is something I notice when switching between my other cans. Resolve (headphones.com) mentions this in his recent Empyrean 2 review as well (5:47):

Hence why I wonder if the Duo pads are at play here given that the Empyrean 2 does not have this upper treble elevation.

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #5,309 of 5,614
Hey guys! Just published my review of Meze Audio Elite Tungsten. The review contains detailed sound analysis, comparisons with popular headphones as well as EQ suggestions to two of my target curves (included files for Soundsource and Wavelet as well). Have a read and let me know how you like it or if you have any questions for me. Enjoy, cheers!

When I try to download the sound source file it tells me I need to log in

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #5,310 of 5,614
Hey guys! Just published my review of Meze Audio Elite Tungsten. The review contains detailed sound analysis, comparisons with popular headphones as well as EQ suggestions to two of my target curves (included files for Soundsource and Wavelet as well). Have a read and let me know how you like it or if you have any questions for me. Enjoy, cheers!

Very nice article. The emphasis on equalization is unique to your article and one I’m very much in favor as I like to tweak my phone too. Thank You

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back