MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 24, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #5,161 of 5,614
Holo Spring 3 KTE
Holo Bliss KTE
Cayin HA-300B MKII
Burson Soloist 3XP
Wow thats a nice lineup. I had the cayin with susavra. It should be amazing with the elite. All stock tubes?

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #5,162 of 5,614
Wow thats a nice lineup. I had the cayin with susavra. It should be amazing with the elite. All stock tubes?
Nope stuck with the stock tubes for about a month to make sure the tube sound was for me, after that I started upgrading.

22DE4 - 2 GE coinbase, 2 Sylvania coinbase
300B - Elrog 300b
6SN7 - Sylvania tall bottle, CBS Hytron, GE, RCA

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #5,163 of 5,614
Nope stuck with the stock tubes for about a month to make sure the tube sound was for me, after that I started upgrading.

22DE4 - 2 GE coinbase, 2 Sylvania coinbase
300B - Elrog 300b
6SN7 - Sylvania tall bottle, CBS Hytron, GE, RCA
How did this change in tubes alter the sound compare to stock? And How much was the upgrade in total?

Been wondering about getting the cayin again for the elite. But i think the stock tubes wasnt for me either.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,164 of 5,614
How did this change in tubes alter the sound compare to stock? And How much was the upgrade in total?

Been wondering about getting the cayin again for the elite. But i think the stock tubes wasnt for me either.
The 22DE4s were about $15 each.

The 6SN7s were about $50 for a matched pair, as the ones I have are still easy to find. You can go much higher in price if you find RCAs with the red base. Those can for $300 for a matched pair.

The Elrogs start at $1500.

When switching out the 22DE4s detail improved. It was not a big change, but it was noticeable without having to lean in and listen for it.

With the Elrogs and the 6SN7s the biggest improvement was imaging and bass. Imaging is right up there with my Bliss now. Bass is now tighter and more controlled. It is a huge improvement, right out of the box.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #5,165 of 5,614
Good info. Guess i Would need to Get the tubes you listed if i pull the trigger on the cayin again. How does the upgraded cayin compare to the bliss?

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #5,166 of 5,614
Good info. Guess i Would need to Get the tubes you listed if i pull the trigger on the cayin again. How does the upgraded cayin compare to the bliss?
As a whole you can't compare SS to tubes.

There are certain technical aspects like imaging and detail the Bliss edges out the Cayin. In all other aspects like soundstage, bass, musicality I think that comes down to the type of headphone, and wither or not you like tubes or SS.

I fall in with most people that when I listen to Dynamic headphones I prefer tubes, and planars I prefer SS.

The exception to the rule for me was the Expanse. It needs a nice tube amp to sound it's best.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #5,168 of 5,614
Maybe a Violectric is worth a look. :wink:

If you can't find a used V281, try a HPA 222 instead.
They're well known for their sound signature.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #5,169 of 5,614
Forgive me, but I don't agree.

For me the Elite needs a tube amp.

I've tried about ten SS amps and none have given me the satisfaction of a tube amp.
Well, I can't say that I will prefer the Elite on SS or tubes since it will not arrive till Monday.

I don't know what SS amps you have tried, but the Bliss is neutral with a slight bit of warmth. Soundstage is great, and it's uncanny how holographic it is for a SS.

I give both my Cayin 300B and my Bliss 9/10 (because nothing is perfect). I happily switch back and forth. Today I started off the day listening to the Bliss and will end it listening to the Cayin. Tomorrow, who knows.

Everyone has their own tastes. Me I don't prefer one or the other.

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #5,170 of 5,614
Well, I can't say that I will prefer the Elite on SS or tubes since it will not arrive till Monday.

I don't know what SS amps you have tried, but the Bliss is neutral with a slight bit of warmth. Soundstage is great, and it's uncanny how holographic it is for a SS.

I give both my Cayin 300B and my Bliss 9/10 (because nothing is perfect). I happily switch back and forth. Today I started off the day listening to the Bliss and will end it listening to the Cayin. Tomorrow, who knows.

Everyone has their own tastes. Me I don't prefer one or the other.

Premise, listening taste is very personal.

I had the opportunity to try Violectric, Audio-GD, Ferrum, HeadAmp GS-X Mini, Burson amps (at least the 3XP was the one that had the most synergy with the Elite), but for my tastes the tubes give body and soul to the Elite.
You will find a listening difference between the excellent BIiss (I wanted to buy it too) and the Cayin, but I'm sure you will fall in love with the Elite - Cayin pairing.

For this reason I abandoned SS amps and switched to tubes without any remorse.

I wish you happy listening with your new Elite

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #5,171 of 5,614
Waiting for angled hybrid pads
For real - I really enjoy the sound signature of the hybrids, I just need about 3-5mm more of clearance for my ear not to smush.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #5,172 of 5,614
For real - I really enjoy the sound signature of the hybrids, I just need about 3-5mm more of clearance for my ear not to smush.
I've been considering the OG thick Empyrean leather pads for this exact reason...

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #5,173 of 5,614
So I have a demo unit of the Elite at home and I am most amazed by how well they run off just a phone. I did a quick AB between my Cayin HA-3A and its probably only about a 15% difference so I am very impressed with their portable performance.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #5,174 of 5,614
Initial impressions after 4 hours of listening on the Bliss and the HA-300B MKII, these cans are easy and very fun to listen too. An all day listening session would not be a problem with the Elite.

For those who reviewed these when they first came out or before the angled Alcantara pads, I get why some of them said that sound wise they are not worth 4k.

The angled pads make all the difference. When I first started listening with the angled pads, I thought where's the lack of detail, and clarity that some of those reviews talked about. These sound pretty damn good.

Then I put the Hybrid pads on. Detail and clarity went downhill, and it sounded muffled. After one song I took off the hybrids put them back in the case never to the light of day again. If I had purchased these and they only came with the hybrid pads the headphones would have been returned.

I think all those early reviews should be revisited with the angled Alcantara pads.

As for sound compared to my Caldera and DCA Expanse, for me they both edge out the Elite in most categories.

The Elite beats out my Cladera and Expanse in two categories for me.

1) The fun factor. These are so much fun to listen too. We're talking lean back, head bobbin, toe tapping fun.

2) Soundstage, and we are not talking a little, we are talking BIG difference. Width, depth, layering, sense of air and space between instruments. It's 800s level without the drawbacks of sounding forced and thin.

The Elites only lack in one thing for me, bass. It has bass, but it's a tad too polite. It needs to be more visceral, where it is trying to push that bass down into my chest.

Wither I like these with SS or tubes more, I have to say I like it equally on both. SS and tubes add a different flavor to the fun, and I can happily switch between the two with the Elites. Unlike the Caldera (SS) and the Expanse (tubes).

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #5,175 of 5,614
Initial impressions after 4 hours of listening on the Bliss and the HA-300B MKII, these cans are easy and very fun to listen too. An all day listening session would not be a problem with the Elite.

For those who reviewed these when they first came out or before the angled Alcantara pads, I get why some of them said that sound wise they are not worth 4k.

The angled pads make all the difference. When I first started listening with the angled pads, I thought where's the lack of detail, and clarity that some of those reviews talked about. These sound pretty damn good.

Then I put the Hybrid pads on. Detail and clarity went downhill, and it sounded muffled. After one song I took off the hybrids put them back in the case never to the light of day again. If I had purchased these and they only came with the hybrid pads the headphones would have been returned.

I think all those early reviews should be revisited with the angled Alcantara pads.

As for sound compared to my Caldera and DCA Expanse, for me they both edge out the Elite in most categories.

The Elite beats out my Cladera and Expanse in two categories for me.

1) The fun factor. These are so much fun to listen too. We're talking lean back, head bobbin, toe tapping fun.

2) Soundstage, and we are not talking a little, we are talking BIG difference. Width, depth, layering, sense of air and space between instruments. It's 800s level without the drawbacks of sounding forced and thin.

The Elites only lack in one thing for me, bass. It has bass, but it's a tad too polite. It needs to be more visceral, where it is trying to push that bass down into my chest.

Wither I like these with SS or tubes more, I have to say I like it equally on both. SS and tubes add a different flavor to the fun, and I can happily switch between the two with the Elites. Unlike the Caldera (SS) and the Expanse (tubes).
If you have the opportunity to apply an equalizer profile, it may solve your bass issues. That being said if you use the Alcantera/Angled pads which lose bass by default, I'm not sure if this will help solve things. Regarding detail however, I do believe the stock tuning reduces the detail quite a bit.

I use the hybrid pads for the extra weight and bass impact with an EQ profile applied which reduces a lot of the muffling and lifts detail. The result makes the Elite the most enjoyable headphone I've ever heard and does anything and everything. Not necessarily the best in specific aspects but the all-round performance is unmatched IMO. Staging especially is the biggest part, so far has been leagues ahead of every other high end headphone I've tried for whatever reason...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back