MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 19, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #5,131 of 5,614
Recently got myself a pair of Elites and am so pleased with my analysis and final decision after comparing far too many headphones for far too long. Running it through an RME ADI-2 DAC FS to a GSX-mini over a balanced connection, truly an incredible set up that brings so much life to a music collection I've listened to 1000s of times.

Now on the not as great part. The ONLY thing I dislike about them, is that my ears must stick out further than average as they touch the mesh protective grill (protecting the drivers) on the Hybrid Leather/Alcantara pads.

It's unfortunate as I've read that their comfort is best in the game, and while they are supremely comfortable on the top of my head, the build quality and finish is excellent, and they're surprisingly lightweight - I do get hotspots on my ears after about 2 hours of listening.

Has any owner found a potential workaround for the hybrid pads? I have tried the stock Alcantara (non-angled) pads, and don't find their sound signature as sonically engaging, but they do have the distinct benefit of not creating hostpots. Is the angled alcantara the way to go? I've heard their better sonically than the stock alcantara.

Thanks!
Angled Alcantara is the way to go.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #5,132 of 5,614
Sep 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #5,134 of 5,614
I believe that it comes down to what kind of tuning someone prefers and how much technicalities wants.

The Angled pads are way more effective in the Empyrean where they literally transform it to another headphone with a different tuning.

I am in the process of finishing a review.

Sep 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #5,135 of 5,614
I believe that it comes down to what kind of tuning someone prefers and how much technicalities wants.

The Angled pads are way more effective in the Empyrean where they literally transform it to another headphone with a different tuning.

I am in the process of finishing a review.
Excited to see your impressions! To clarify; your review is the Angled Alcantara on the base empyreans, not the Elites?

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #5,136 of 5,614
Sep 21, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #5,137 of 5,614
Sep 21, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #5,138 of 5,614
I have already reviewed the pads with the Elite and now I will add an Empyrean section.

https://ichos-reviews.com/meze-angled-alcantara-pads-review/
Great review! Looks like I'll be giving them a go, especially with your notes on comfort! What's another hit to the wallet? I do wish there was a hybrid pad with the enhanced depth offered by the Alcantara/Angled Alcantara, as I really like the sound signature for longer listening sessions, but hopefully the AA are still manageable even with their more revealing sonic characteristics

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #5,139 of 5,614
Great review! Looks like I'll be giving them a go, especially with your notes on comfort! What's another hit to the wallet? I do wish there was a hybrid pad with the enhanced depth offered by the Alcantara/Angled Alcantara, as I really like the sound signature for longer listening sessions, but hopefully the AA are still manageable even with their more revealing sonic characteristics
They are definitely worth it. New sound signature for both the Elite and the Empyrean for less money than a decent cable costs.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #5,141 of 5,614
Sep 22, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #5,142 of 5,614
Congrats for this write-up.

It shows, that the Empyrean with angled pads would be the way to go for me personally.

Don't want any critical, nor analytical headphone to enjoy my music.
I am seriously thinking to re-purchase the Empyrean. With the angled pads the tuning becomes more neutral while retaining it's excellent musicality. It is a combination that I can use all day long without the need to reach for anything else.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #5,143 of 5,614
I am seriously thinking to re-purchase the Empyrean. With the angled pads the tuning becomes more neutral while retaining it's excellent musicality. It is a combination that I can use all day long without the need to reach for anything else.
Agreed. The Empyrean with the angled pads and a good cable out of some proper source sounds very capable and enjoyable. It is a lot more balanced and nuanced with the angled pads. There is still a bit of a mid-bass hump which someone either likes or dislikes, but overall it is an excellent offering. For 1.5K on the secondhand market it is quite a bargain actually. Elite is still better in all technical aspects, but the Empyrean certainly takes a step up with the new pads.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #5,144 of 5,614
For those of you who have compared the two, how does the Empyrean with Angled pads compare to the Elite with Hybrid pads? Is it just a difference in technicalities in favor of the Elite with a similar tuning between the two, or is the Empy w/ Angled pads still warmer with more mid-bass?

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #5,145 of 5,614
For those of you who have compared the two, how does the Empyrean with Angled pads compare to the Elite with Hybrid pads? Is it just a difference in technicalities in favor of the Elite with a similar tuning between the two, or is the Empy w/ Angled pads still warmer with more mid-bass?
Pads don't change the main characteristics of the two headphones. Elite is still more spacious, more detailed, better balanced than the Empyrean, manly due to the thinner diaphragms. Pads only fine tune the existing sound and the Empyrean seem to benefit even more of this 'correction/improvement' the angled pads bring.
IMO the angled pads are a clear improvement on both headphones and frankly, I think they are a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back