MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #5,116 of 5,646
What dac/amp is considered best for meze elite for most transparent and warm sound?

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #5,120 of 5,646
I have a wa7 fireflies/a90D I’m pairing with an E70 velvet. Love it

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #5,123 of 5,646
Have been listening out of Sp3k plus C9 or Tsuranagi and N7 plus C9 / Tsuranagi with Elite and have to say while Elite doesn't need extensive amplification it will scale with better amplification in terms of stage size and imaging and as you said authority.
I assume that the N8II amp is stronger and more versatile than Sp3k amp (which imho is the Sp3k bottleneck).
If you have the chance demo with an external amp and see if you hear the difference.
If no external amp I assume that the stronger Amp ones like up to DX320 Max will drive it better to its justice
I just bought a Meze Elite and I've been testing it with my DAP's and headphone amps using the hybrid pads. I tried all my DAP's (AK SP3000, DX300 Max, and LP6 Pro). As expected, the sound quality improved as I moved to the bigger amp in the DX300 Max. Nevertheless, I didn't get the wow factor, and it still sounded a bit lacking.

When I hooked up the Cayin C9 to each of my DAP's, there was a significant improvement. The Elite sounds more relaxing with tighter bass and reminds me of my two channel setup with Harbeth speakers and VAC tube amp. My favorite DAP/C9 pairing is the LP6 Pro/C9. With my other headphones, the C9 doesn't really have enough power to hit the sweet spot, but the Elites work really well with it.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm really enjoying the Elite.

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #5,124 of 5,646
Did any of you fellow Elite owners pick up a Mjoljir 3? I’m wondering if it will be a good combo. On paper it seems like a nice match. The amp is getting good initial reviews from a quite a few trusted sources, so my interest is peaked.
I have a Mjolnir 3 and a Pendant SE with vintage tubes. I listen to Roon through a Raspberry Pi streamer and a Hugo 2. I just received my Elite yesterday, so it is still breaking in. The Mjolnir 3 is amazing and it matches really well with some of my other headphones (like LCD2, ZMF VO, and DCA Stealth) but I like the Pendant SE better for the Elite. The Elite sounds good on the Mjolnir but the Elite really benefits from tubes. The Pendant SE replaces some of the treble fatigue I can hear listening to the Elite with the Mjolnir with the tube magic. Again, keep in mind these are early impressions and I’m trying everything in the collection to see where it takes me listening to the Elite.

I also have a Mjolnir 2. When I compare it, I’ll add comments.

Sep 9, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #5,125 of 5,646
I have a Mjolnir 3 and a Pendant SE with vintage tubes. I listen to Roon through a Raspberry Pi streamer and a Hugo 2. I just received my Elite yesterday, so it is still breaking in. The Mjolnir 3 is amazing and it matches really well with some of my other headphones (like LCD2, ZMF VO, and DCA Stealth) but I like the Pendant SE better for the Elite. The Elite sounds good on the Mjolnir but the Elite really benefits from tubes. The Pendant SE replaces some of the treble fatigue I can hear listening to the Elite with the Mjolnir with the tube magic. Again, keep in mind these are early impressions and I’m trying everything in the collection to see where it takes me listening to the Elite.

I also have a Mjolnir 2. When I compare it, I’ll add comments.
Thanks for those early impressions. I used my Elite for about a year with my Quicksilver tube amp and it sounded excellent. I think my Cayin iHA-6 sounds at least as good with the Elite though. Luckily the Elite is easy to drive, so there are lots of options for amps to use with it.

Be sure to report back after a little more time with the Elite and Mjolnir 3. I’m curious to know if your impressions change after a bit more time.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #5,126 of 5,646
I listen with both the A&K CA1000t and ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2. As expected it is definitely a different experience with big tube amp. I pretty much have found no use for the hybrid pads as the leather angled pads are such a big improvement to my ear.

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #5,127 of 5,646
I listen with both the A&K CA1000t and ampsandsound Bigger Ben Rev 2. As expected it is definitely a different experience with big tube amp. I pretty much have found no use for the hybrid pads as the leather angled pads are such a big improvement to my ear.
You mean the Alcantara angled pads, right?

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #5,128 of 5,646
Sep 19, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #5,130 of 5,646
Recently got myself a pair of Elites and am so pleased with my analysis and final decision after comparing far too many headphones for far too long. Running it through an RME ADI-2 DAC FS to a GSX-mini over a balanced connection, truly an incredible set up that brings so much life to a music collection I've listened to 1000s of times.

Now on the not as great part. The ONLY thing I dislike about them, is that my ears must stick out further than average as they touch the mesh protective grill (protecting the drivers) on the Hybrid Leather/Alcantara pads.

It's unfortunate as I've read that their comfort is best in the game, and while they are supremely comfortable on the top of my head, the build quality and finish is excellent, and they're surprisingly lightweight - I do get hotspots on my ears after about 2 hours of listening.

Has any owner found a potential workaround for the hybrid pads? I have tried the stock Alcantara (non-angled) pads, and don't find their sound signature as sonically engaging, but they do have the distinct benefit of not creating hostpots. Is the angled alcantara the way to go? I've heard their better sonically than the stock alcantara.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back