MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,996 of 5,640
I just got mine (used) yesterday and haven’t listened to it that long. Also, mine is the non-pro edition which has a more neutral tuning and less bass than the pro edition. For me it’s really dark sounding. The detail is there but sounds a little closed in compared to the Elite. I’m going to pick up a Silver Cable, because I think that will benefit it, even though I’ve never been a fan of silver cables.
You got something wrong here. The pro version is more neutral with less bass compared to the basic D8k.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4,998 of 5,640
I just bought the Angled Alcantara pads. If anyone is interested in my stock Alcantara pads that are basically brand new, shoot me a PM. I'll list them for sale later today on the classifieds.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #4,999 of 5,640
OK I was stupid enough to try the Elites out while traveling about and now I'm seriously contemplating selling my Susvaras for the Meze. They have served me well for a couple of years but there was just this hard-to-describe magic in the Elites, the lushness I guess... I'm terrified I'm gonna regret this though. Worth it? What will I miss? Will I be better served looking at other more complimentary phones to the Susvara like the Caldera, D8000, etc? Analysis paralysis indeed.

Jul 22, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #5,000 of 5,640
OK I was stupid enough to try the Elites out while traveling about and now I'm seriously contemplating selling my Susvaras for the Meze. They have served me well for a couple of years but there was just this hard-to-describe magic in the Elites, the lushness I guess... I'm terrified I'm gonna regret this though. Worth it? What will I miss? Will I be better served looking at other more complimentary phones to the Susvara like the Caldera, D8000, etc? Analysis paralysis indeed.
Another plus for the Elite is you can also use them with a DAP if you are traveling as well.

I actually have also wondered about the D8000. After a few years I finally just bought a like new D8000. I love the thick presentation and bass. When I go back to the Elite it is amazing how well the music is presented. This will be the first time after many attempts to have more than one headphone at a time. I usually end up selling one and keeping one.

I think out of the headphones that you mentioned, and you wanted to make change from having a Susvara, the Elite will be more to your liking I believe.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #5,001 of 5,640
Just received my new Alcantara Angled pads today. I’m still so impressed with the pad swapping on these headphones. It’s ingenious and takes 5 seconds max to complete the swap.

Fist impressions from someone with rather large ears is that these are perfect. My ears don’t touch anything at all. With the hybrids, my ears touched a little bit, but it was not a big issue. These just up the comfort another notch, which is amazing. There was barely any room for improvement since these were already the most comfortable high-end headphones I’d ever used.

I’ll have to report back on the sound differences after I get more time with them, but so far everything sounds at least as good as it did with the hybrids. I’m told these have a little less mid-bass emphasis, and that may be true, but the mid-bass is still very well represented. I was a bit afraid these pads might dial back the bass a bit too much, but that is not the case at all in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5,002 of 5,640
Finally I got the angled pads too. My impressions are positive. These are probably the best pads for Elite/Empyrean so far. I never really cared for the og Alcantara pads, preferred the leather on the Empy and hybrids on the Elite. That said, I hear the mids and treble are more opened on the og Alcantara just looses out on bass too much for my taste. I was worried, with the angled pads it will be the same, but luckily it isn't. The hybrids still have a bit more bass weight, but the benefits of the angled pads outweigh that easily. The angled pads sound more 'reference' in a way. To my ears they are airier with more soundstage depth, definition, resolution. From bass to treble. Bass is more balanced and more detailed as well. A bit more tamed than on the hybrids but still punches and I do not feel I am loosing out on anything. Better instrument separation and better staging also. Switching back to the hybrids feels a bit softer/hazier. All in all I think the angled pads are a winner. Potentially they could change someone's opinion on the headphones if initially they didn't like the Elite because they are chasing a more 'reference', more detailed sound. Good move from Meze.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #5,003 of 5,640
Congrats, glad you’re enjoying them. You summed it up perfectly! As you say, a bit more referenced sound but you still have that bass but tighter and controlled.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5,004 of 5,640
Congrats, glad you’re enjoying them. You summed it up perfectly! As you say, a bit more referenced sound but you still have that bass but tighter and controlled.
Exactly. Plus these are more comfortable than the hybrids, especially for those with bigger ears.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #5,005 of 5,640
In my package also the angled pads were included and I try them since yesterday. And I don't miss any bass and the comfort increased a bit. First impressions is pretty good with them. Don't know where all the negative meanings about the pads with Elites are coming from. I think they are a good fit with the Elite.
The vocals are also a bit more 'louder' and focused. With the hybrids the vocals were really backwards in some tracks, now they pop out a bit more but not as much as the Final D8KP would do. They a midrange/vocal monsters.

The OG Alcantara pads are to big for me and the clamp force is then to high for my taste. As well I do like the cloth feeling on the skin of the angled pads instead of the leather of the hybrids.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #5,006 of 5,640
Diana Panton's night today :)

71QmLcMhcYL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

One of my "final test" before acquire a headphone, is to listening this album (and repeat). It doesn't really matter if the headphone may fail with other songs, but "must" sound cheerful, natural, and beautiful with this album. Elite, of course, passed with flying colours.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #5,007 of 5,640
Over the past month and a half I’ve been entertaining myself by building @L0rdGwyn DIY Aegis amp. Approaching 40hrs use now and it pairs up amazingly well with the Elites, simply stunning sound quality. This amp is deadly quiet as well when no music is playing, inky black, even if you crank the volume to full.

The manual, list of parts etc is very very detailed and made it a very enjoyable project. Previously I’d only ever made / soldered XLR and RCA cables so with a little time it’s very doable. It’s an approx £2k project but, it stands toe to toe with the Auris Nirvana and it takes an massive selection of tubes… check out the Aegis thread at Head Fi (DIY section) if your interested!!

Attachments

• IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4552.jpeg
    IMG_4552.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #5,008 of 5,640
I find the Elite unusual among planars - I feel it has some of the character of dynamic phones in the way it presents acoustic timbre. The low end is typically 'big' I think - but the mids and up are very refined. I think if you're interested in reproducing the sound of acoustic instruments you won't find more satisfying planars - but you can find more satisfying dynamics. To my ear - I listen to classical music - the Elite is the best planar out there by some margin - certainly more persuasive than the Susvara.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back