MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jul 21, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #2,656 of 5,614
I have switched ear grill for my Empyrean. I used my Empyrean in multiple shows and events, so the headphones grill suffers inevitably, some users were a bit over-casual when they put the Empyrean down after their audition. The process goes well with the right tools and procedures. I have checked with our service support team before I respond to you, they explained that there is a risk if one of the metal screws is attracted by the magnets in the driver and pierces the membrane, so there is a bit of risk when you perform the change without an appropriate guideline (and training). Whenever feasible, the best way to change the grill is for you to send your Empyrean/Elite back to us and let us do the swap.

Last but not least, if someone wants a custom order, they can get in touch with our support line with their request, Meze will do our best to accommodate. Changing the grill from the Empyrean on an Elite is feasible for sure.
Thank you. Very helpful to know the risk of damaging the membrane. I wasn't already considering opening it, but now more than ever.

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #2,657 of 5,614
Considering picking up a pair of Elites. I've found a new comparisons and of course preferences depends which thread I am on lol, but anyone have other Elite vs EQ'd LCD5 comparisons?

I really love the Mitch filter on LCD5 as it becomes a balanced, technical speed monster. Within my system, it has nice elements of musicality in dynamics, detailed mids, etc.

My understanding is that Elite might be a step below in detail/resolution, but smoother in tonality with more "emotive" rather than "studio" mids? Larger soundstage? Which would have more of a "liquidy" sound? Better texture/timbre for a planar, etc etc.

Thanks! These would be complementing the Susvara for what it is worth.

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #2,658 of 5,614
Considering picking up a pair of Elites. I've found a new comparisons and of course preferences depends which thread I am on lol, but anyone have other Elite vs EQ'd LCD5 comparisons?
Can’t say — haven’t heard 5s.
Based on my limited experience with Susvara, I would say Elite doesn’t seem like a complement to Sus, except for power requirements.

<edit> well, and headstage </edit>

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,659 of 5,614

I really love the Mitch filter on LCD5 as it becomes a balanced, technical speed monster. Within my system, it has nice elements of musicality in dynamics, detailed mids, etc.

My understanding is that Elite might be a step below in detail/resolution, but smoother in tonality with more "emotive" rather than "studio" mids? Larger soundstage? Which would have more of a "liquidy" sound? Better texture/timbre for a planar, etc etc.

I think there are only like 6-7 of us that have used the filter so you might be the first to compare. Looking forward to hearing the comparisons.

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,660 of 5,614
Thank you. Very helpful to know the risk of damaging the membrane. I wasn't already considering opening it, but now more than ever.

Yes, this can happen if the user didn't aware of the possibility, but once you know this risk and have prepared your workspace to handle the process properly (e.g., put all screws into a cup or small box immediately after you remove it), this is not really a big risk that can't be handled.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 21, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #2,661 of 5,614

Actually for me Elite is the opposite of LCD-5.

LCD-5 is a "raw" headphone. Forward, intimate, straightforward, fast decay. I get it when Audeze wrote they want to mimic the studio speaker in studio (I read somewhere, can't remember). I don't really like the idea of EQ, but I think LCD-5 is the exception.

Elite, is like a floor stand speaker made by Sonus Faber. Big and spacious imaging, with melodious vocal, full body bass, and treble sparkle that produce so much air, and being sweet at the same time.

Ultimately, I'm done with LCD-5 to pursue more euphonic side with Elite (and actually buy back the ZMF Verite that I sold to fund LCD-5).

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #2,662 of 5,614
Actually for me Elite is the opposite of LCD-5.

LCD-5 is a "raw" headphone. Forward, intimate, straightforward, fast decay. I get it when Audeze wrote they want to mimic the studio speaker in studio (I read somewhere, can't remember). I don't really like the idea of EQ, but I think LCD-5 is the exception.

Elite, is like a floor stand speaker made by Sonus Faber. Big and spacious imaging, with melodious vocal, full body bass, and treble sparkle that produce so much air, and being sweet at the same time.

Ultimately, I'm done with LCD-5 to pursue more euphonic side with Elite (and actually buy back the ZMF Verite that I sold to fund LCD-5).
Yeah I agree on your interpretation of the stock LCD5 tuning. I wasn't a fan of EQ'ing either but it really does transform the headphone, and even more so that I have multiple "flavors" to play with. Adding a bass shelf has produced the cleanest, textured and ultimately best bass I've heard to date (haven't heard 1266 TC yet). On the other hand, pairing LCD5 with a tube like Dragon L2 adds a very euphonic tone with liquidy (longer decay), rumbly and addicting bass (at expense of speed and treble extension).

The way you describe Elite does sound great though. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just compare myself! :)

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,663 of 5,614
Have now listened to the Elites through the Burson C3XR for a few hours. Found it a much smoother listen than the Ifi xDSD but in a good way. Very detailed across the board but also better insight into the music.
Everything is just so much more nuanced. I hear a greater depth to notes so that I gain a clearer 'flavour' of each instrument.
Bass goes so much deeper than the Ifi and is both tighter and more textured.
Vocals are beautifully presented with a 'live' feel to them.

A very happy bunny here.
Looking forward to the headphones settling over next few months.
My Lavri Grand has 100 hours burn in from the manufacturer but they may well show subtle changes as time goes on.

All listening was done via USB with my Oppo Find X2 pro.
The supercharger was fitted to the Burson.
We are away in the campervan for a few weeks and, after that, I will listen through the Node.

Also now have the Nordost Purple Flare to replace the Node power cord and Supra Mains block should be here Monday.
I managed to pick up a Chord Epic digital coaxial which I will use to link the Node to the Burson.

I actually love the stock Elites and am not hankering after any mods or colour changes whatsoever. Very classy, IMO.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #2,664 of 5,614
I'm consider getting an Elite to pair with an amp which can put ("only") 282mW & 3Vrms into it.

Now, given the impedance and sensitivity of the Elite (32ohm & 101db/mw resp.), this power will drive it to 125.5db, which is obviously much more than listening volume:

https://www.headphonesty.com/headph...sInNlbnNpdGl2aXR5TWVhc3VyZW1lbnQiOiJ3YXR0In0=

Would such a setup be "enough" power for the headphone? Obviously it is enough power from a pure loudness perspective, but would the Elite benefit substantially from power in excess of this being available?

I know I didn't explain what this mysterious 282mW amp is. It is in fact not an amp at all, but a Chord Qutest directly connected to the headphone. The Qutest provides 3Vrms maximum voltage, and high-quality software attenuation can be done using HQPlayer with higher-order noise shaping at 768Khz. I have tried this setup on an Arya Stealth and it works quite well, much to my initial astonishment. With no amp at all, the sound is remarkably transparent, but, on the Arya Stealth at least, does seem to be lacking a little in punch and 3-dimensionality compared to using a real amplifier (in my case a Burson Soloist 3XP). My concern is whether the Elite might fare better or worse.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #2,665 of 5,614
I'm consider getting an Elite to pair with an amp which can put ("only") 282mW & 3Vrms into it.

Now, given the impedance and sensitivity of the Elite (32ohm & 101db/mw resp.), this power will drive it to 125.5db, which is obviously much more than listening volume:

https://www.headphonesty.com/headph...sInNlbnNpdGl2aXR5TWVhc3VyZW1lbnQiOiJ3YXR0In0=

Would such a setup be "enough" power for the headphone? Obviously it is enough power from a pure loudness perspective, but would the Elite benefit substantially from power in excess of this being available?

I know I didn't explain what this mysterious 282mW amp is. It is in fact not an amp at all, but a Chord Qutest directly connected to the headphone. The Qutest provides 3Vrms maximum voltage, and high-quality software attenuation can be done using HQPlayer with higher-order noise shaping at 768Khz. I have tried this setup on an Arya Stealth and it works quite well, much to my initial astonishment. With no amp at all, the sound is remarkably transparent, but, on the Arya Stealth at least, does seem to be lacking a little in punch and 3-dimensionality compared to using a real amplifier (in my case a Burson Soloist 3XP). My concern is whether the Elite might fare better or worse.
What's the output impedance of the Qutest?

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #2,667 of 5,614
Meze Elite Chameleon just arrived :)
Unfortunately there's a tiny unpainted spot on the right part of the frame.
Wondering if that's in a tolerable range or need to send back or ask Meze for some spare paint.
Unfortunately it's visible due to the underlying silver reflection though it's only a tiny spot

Edit:
After closer examination with changing light sources and viewing angles it turns out that the color is perfectly fine.
The silver spots results from reflecting light due to the specific angle in that corner of the frame.

Attachments

• 3CBE5084-FF93-46ED-9639-F58FDB8EE140.jpeg
    3CBE5084-FF93-46ED-9639-F58FDB8EE140.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F0AED741-860B-48E5-871E-C57C491E4B4C.jpeg
    F0AED741-860B-48E5-871E-C57C491E4B4C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,668 of 5,614
Meze Elite Chameleon just arrived :)
Unfortunately there's a tiny unpainted spot on the right part of the frame.
Wondering if that's in a tolerable range or need to send back or ask Meze for some spare paint.
Unfortunately it's visible due to the underlying silver reflection though it's only a tiny spot
How is the Ha200 + Elite synergy?

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,669 of 5,614
How is the Ha200 + Elite synergy?
Haven't even switched on the amp yet.
Just wanted to finish the installation before going back to my family.
Will start listening tonight and report back

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,670 of 5,614
Haven't even switched on the amp yet.
Just wanted to finish the installation before going back to my family.
Will start listening tonight and report back
Keep me updated :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back