MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jun 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #2,371 of 5,614
By a freak accident I've also compared the OOR and Burson GT these last 3 days. I found the Burson borderline unusable with the Chord Dave(6V via XLR) and Elites, even at minimum it a bit too loud, but not enough dynamics unless turned up. It was definitely "cleaner" sounding than the Oor, which seems to be warmer. I agree about the Midrange, and did prefer the Burson, but I thought soundstage was a bit deeper on the OOR. Using balanced cables with both of them.
I've also had the Susvara for this time and while i see the appeal if you like that sort of sound, I don't find it "technically superior" in any way. The soundstage was narrower but deeper. And i found them boring to be frank. I couldn't live with such a smooth sounding headphone with no impact or grunt. I preferred Elites out of Dave rather than Susvara out of both Oor and Burson. If only the Oor had the Burson's neutrality, i'd enjoy having a larger soundstage like they both offered, without their respective cons. I'm not sure if the Cayin would provide that and i have no way to listen to it before buying. Or even know a dealer in the EU.
BTW The Oor's voltage adjustment (Sweet spot tuning) turns the Elites into crazy impactful headphones, even too much at max settings I would say. First time i hear that kind of impact on planars.

I can imagine 6V to Burson GT would be too monstrous for Elite. Agree on your take about Susvara. I do still like it so much though, but building set up around it is kind of hassle for my current situation.

Has anyone here tried the Atrium and can speak to how it compares to the Elite?
Yes. I own Elite and Verite. After tried Atrium for a week in my system, now I'm thinking to sell Verite and change to Atrium.

In general, Elite wins almost in all aspect, detail, transparency, soundstage, imaging, speed in complex passage, texture in vocal, sub bass response, and overall enjoyment. Atrium still perform great in technicality of course, but not up to Elite's level yet (Atrium is better than Empyrean though).

A bit hard to compare ZMF to other brand, there is always "specialty" about their "woody" sound. Unique character that may become addictive. Affect me so damn hard apparently.

In my case, the more laidback midrange and closer to neutral of Verite sound, may overlapped a bit with Elite. Atrium produce something more different here. More bold in character, more forward, more energetic. Yes in ultimate detail, Verite still win (only slight though), but I have Elite for that. Atrium bring more differences in character when compared to Elite.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #2,372 of 5,614
Has anyone here tried the Atrium and can speak to how it compares to the Elite?
I think my summary would be Elites sounded like an Atrium with a little more clarity and detail with more controlled bass.
The Elites are more "pure" [...] There is more "slam" with the Atriums [...]
In general, Elite wins almost in all aspect, detail, transparency, soundstage, imaging, speed in complex passage, texture in vocal, sub bass response [...]. Atrium still perform great in technicality of course, but not up to Elite's level yet (Atrium is better than Empyrean though).

A bit hard to compare ZMF to other brand [...]

Atrium produce something more different here. More bold in character [...] Atrium bring more differences in character when compared to Elite.

Another dual owner here. I've had the Elites for a few months and the Atrium for just a short while. I agree with the gist of the previous responses and especially the above cherrypicked quotes.

The Atrium is the wettest, most colored headphone I've ever had in my system. The wood's reverb/decay/full-bodied effect on my (cherry) Atriums are more pronounced and it's warmer in the bass than any of the <cough> six previous ZMF headphones I've had. In that sense, I feel like it's the type of headphone that's best heard in person and hopefully at some length on one's own (presumably tube-based!) system to see if it fits a person's preferences, and to see if all of its interesting characteristics do cohere into something worthwhile and "musical". Or not.

Whereas because the Elite is a lot closer to a reference sound, it's easier to predict if a person will take to it so long as they have a general sense of the "planar sound". IMO it's just an easier headphone to wrap your head around in terms of its strengths and weaknesses and also because it does sound consistently very good and like itself out of just about anything.

Also, I found that when A/B'ing the two headphones back-to-back, the Elite's superior technicalities are glaringly obvious. Although that type of quick exercise can be potentially misleading in terms of understanding a headphone's long-term potential in terms of listening enjoyment. I'm really liking the Atrium alot so far, but it's still early days with it for me.

In contrast, having grown a little tired of it, I actually put my Elite up for sale for a couple weeks but just changed my mind after hearing it on a certain specific setup, but that's a topic for another post :D

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,373 of 5,614
Another dual owner here. I've had the Elites for a few months and the Atrium for just a short while. I agree with the gist of the previous responses and especially the above cherrypicked quotes.

The Atrium is the wettest, most colored headphone I've ever had in my system. The wood's reverb/decay/full-bodied effect on my (cherry) Atriums are more pronounced and it's warmer in the bass than any of the <cough> six previous ZMF headphones I've had. In that sense, I feel like it's the type of headphone that's best heard in person and hopefully at some length on one's own (presumably tube-based!) system to see if it fits a person's preferences, and to see if all of its interesting characteristics do cohere into something worthwhile and "musical". Or not.

Whereas because the Elite is a lot closer to a reference sound, it's easier to predict if a person will take to it so long as they have a general sense of the "planar sound". IMO it's just an easier headphone to wrap your head around in terms of its strengths and weaknesses and also because it does sound consistently very good and like itself out of just about anything.

Also, I found that when A/B'ing the two headphones back-to-back, the Elite's superior technicalities are glaringly obvious. Although that type of quick exercise can be potentially misleading in terms of understanding a headphone's long-term potential in terms of listening enjoyment. I'm really liking the Atrium alot so far, but it's still early days with it for me.

In contrast, having grown a little tired of it, I actually put my Elite up for sale for a couple weeks but just changed my mind after hearing it on a certain specific setup, but that's a topic for another post :D
Why are you doing this to me?!
You make the Atrium sound like it has a bold character, one should at least have auditioned.

It sounds Tempting, but my collection is too big already...

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #2,374 of 5,614
You make the Atrium sound like it has a bold character, one should at least have auditioned.

Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

20220616_174602.jpg

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,375 of 5,614
Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.

20220616_174602.jpg
A Norne Einvaldi, what a gem!

I put the Atrium on my "watch out for" list now.
If I got it correctly, they sometimes have limited runs with special wood types.
If I find the "right" one, I may pull the trigger

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #2,376 of 5,614
A Norne Einvaldi, what a gem!

I put the Atrium on my "watch out for" list now.
If I got it correctly, they sometimes have limited runs with special wood types.
If I find the "right" one, I may pull the trigger
Same here, right now I'm okay with my VO's and Eikon's from the ZMF stable. I just want to know if the Atrium's have different enough sound from my VO's to warrant the addition. I'll find out this weekend at CanJam :)

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #2,377 of 5,614
Same here, right now I'm okay with my VO's and Eikon's from the ZMF stable. I just want to know if the Atrium's have different enough sound from my VO's to warrant the addition. I'll find out this weekend at CanJam :)
I don't have any ZMF yet. I am a little overwhelmed on all the possible pad options.

ZMF doesn't do any custom builds anymore, but only limited runs with different wood types. Therefore I will keep an eye out for especially pretty versions.

From what I read so far the Atrium would be the "right" ZMF for my taste

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #2,378 of 5,614
I don't have any ZMF yet. I am a little overwhelmed on all the possible pad options.

ZMF doesn't do any custom builds anymore, but only limited runs with different wood types. Therefore I will keep an eye out for especially pretty versions.

The VO's and Eikons are my favorite ZMF headphones. I'm sure the Atrium's will be right there at the top of the list. With that said, the Elites can almost match ZMF's natural sounding timbre with better technical abilities.

Jun 17, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #2,379 of 5,614
I have a few ZMF's too. My preference is the Atticus. (in cherry). Smooth as butter. Warm, rich tonality, delicious timbre, especially for electric guitar. Sounds best, really good with an OTL tube amp, in my experience. (limited experience). I haven't kept up with the newer ZMF offerings in recent years though. If I were still using an OTL amp I'd want to get another one of their headphones.

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #2,380 of 5,614
While I absolutely adore and appreciate Zach's work, ZMF headphones I tried were simply not for me.

I admire these headphones and I see where their market is, my personal preference is just slightly different.

Regardless my personal preference I simply couldn't enjoy the Atticus or Eikon, their tuning to me were just a bit odd or off.

With the Verité open I was able to see/hear what ZMF is about. A very natural and tonally accurate sound, really impressive when it comes to acoustic instrument timbre or vocal tone. With that kind of music a top of the line ZMF is a real treat.

When modern music or EDM comes into the picture, I start to miss planar bass, impact and spaciousness.

The Atrium is an enticing offering, but these impressions just further convinced me that I would prefer my Elite.

I personally prefer the Elite to the Empyrean, Susvara, LCD4, LCD5, HE1000SE, Utopia, HD800S, HE6SE, Verité open, Arya, and even to the spectacular Solitaire P...

I am pretty sure I would prefer them to Abyss offerings as well...

Sure, some of the headphones mentioned above have greater detail retrieval, but details are just one tiny particle in the overall sound presentation of a TOTL headphone.

The Elite might not be the most detailed TOTL headphone, it might just offer 95% of detail retrieval compared to Susvara or Utopia.

But, none of the TOTLs I mentioned and tried above were able to offer this level of enjoyment and 'merge' me with my music to this extent.

Not to mention best in the world comfort and build quality.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #2,381 of 5,614

Perhaps one less meze (hint: emp) and add one ZMF to your list? Haha

Some exotic LTD wood, or Stabilize design would be worth the attention. Can't wait till that happen to Atrium. (Koa was looking as "regular" wood for me, not exotic enough)

While I absolutely adore and appreciate Zach's work, ZMF headphones I tried were simply not for me.

I admire these headphones and I see where their market is, my personal preference is just slightly different.

Regardless my personal preference I simply couldn't enjoy the Atticus or Eikon, their tuning to me were just a bit odd or off.

With the Verité open I was able to see/hear what ZMF is about. A very natural and tonally accurate sound, really impressive when it comes to acoustic instrument timbre or vocal tone. With that kind of music a top of the line ZMF is a real treat.

When modern music or EDM comes into the picture, I start to miss planar bass, impact and spaciousness.

The Atrium is an enticing offering, but these impressions just further convinced me that I would prefer my Elite.

I personally prefer the Elite to the Empyrean, Susvara, LCD4, LCD5, HE1000SE, Utopia, HD800S, HE6SE, Verité open, Arya, and even to the spectacular Solitaire P...

I am pretty sure I would prefer them to Abyss offerings as well...

Sure, some of the headphones mentioned above have greater detail retrieval, but details are just one tiny particle in the overall sound presentation of a TOTL headphone.

The Elite might not be the most detailed TOTL headphone, it might just offer 95% of detail retrieval compared to Susvara or Utopia.

But, none of the TOTLs I mentioned and tried above were able to offer this level of enjoyment and 'merge' me with my music to this extent.

Not to mention best in the world comfort and build quality.
Well, as ZMF lover, I also have hard time to liking Atticus and Eikon.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,382 of 5,614
Perhaps one less meze (hint: emp) and add one ZMF to your list? Haha

Some exotic LTD wood, or Stabilize design would be worth the attention. Can't wait till that happen to Atrium. (Koa was looking as "regular" wood for me, not exotic enough)

Well, as ZMF lover, I also have hard time to liking Atticus and Eikon.
Nah the only replacement for my Copper Empyrean would be a chameleon Empyrean 😅
Still loving the Empyrean.

Nonetheless I will keep an eye open for future limited ZMF runs. Maybe one day...

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #2,383 of 5,614
Nah the only replacement for my Copper Empyrean would be a chameleon Empyrean 😅
Still loving the Empyrean.

Nonetheless I will keep an eye open for future limited ZMF runs. Maybe one day...

Ah, actually I asked to my dealer here as well about Elite Chameleon. They said it's really hard to acquired it outside of Germany or Europe. Let alone SEA area.

So I asked them about Dark Mystery then, currently waiting for answer :imp:

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #2,384 of 5,614
Ah, actually I asked to my dealer here as well about Elite Chameleon. They said it's really hard to acquired it outside of Germany or Europe. Let alone SEA area.

So I asked them about Dark Mystery then, currently waiting for answer :imp:
Dark Mystery is the same exclusive deal with the german distributor.
And I actually discussed my options a out the Empyrean.
Still thinking about it, but my copper Empyrean might go up for sale very soon

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,385 of 5,614
Does anyone know what parts are compatible between Empy and Elite? For example can Elite drivers be placed into Empy body?
One of the reasons I am asking is that I would love a copper Elite. I do not like current versions, even less the exclusive ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back