MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
May 22, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #2,222 of 5,622
Now, this is an interesting topic. I have been using DAC502 since its launch (~ 6 years). I like it very much and am about to send my unit to Weiss Asia for a major upgrade (to DAC502-MK2-4ch). According to the official description, "the sonic characteristics of the MK2-4ch versions are on a higher level with incredible transparency and openness. Both line output stages and headphone output stages are built with discrete electronics developed from the standard DAC50x." This sounds extremely promising and put Weiss DAC50x up there as one of the TOTL single-box solutions for high-end headphones such as Meze Elite.

So what are the TOTL single-box All-in-Ones that will work for Elite? The following FIVE comes to my mind, feel free to add your dream All-in-One to the list. I must emphasize that the list is in alphabetic order, so please don't start a war on the ranking of these DAC/Amp.
  • Boulder 812
  • Chord Dave
  • dCS Bartok
  • T+A HA200
  • Weiss DAC502-MK2
dCS bartók,

May 22, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #2,223 of 5,622
i've post similar question on the zmf VC thread but would like to hear opinions from meze owners too.

in looking for the next headphone, i'm thinking whether empyrean elite or zmf VC will be a better choice (i could get a mint condition 2nd hand elite for roughly same price of the VC).

i've heard the elite briefly in a shop (seems a bit more treble energy but not totally different from empyrean) but haven't had a chance to demo the zmf VC. i've to admit that the beautiful woodworks is one of the main reason i'm considering getting the VC. btw, i already got the original empyrean and liric, if that matters.

i mostly listen to pop songs through streaming services and currently using the topping a90/d90 stack or AK CA1000 / fiio M17 as the quasi portable setup.

Just wonder if any elite owner can share your thought? Thanks!

May 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #2,224 of 5,622
i've post similar question on the zmf VC thread but would like to hear opinions from meze owners too.

in looking for the next headphone, i'm thinking whether empyrean elite or zmf VC will be a better choice (i could get a mint condition 2nd hand elite for roughly same price of the VC).

i've heard the elite briefly in a shop (seems a bit more treble energy but not totally different from empyrean) but haven't had a chance to demo the zmf VC. i've to admit that the beautiful woodworks is one of the main reason i'm considering getting the VC. btw, i already got the original empyrean and liric, if that matters.

i mostly listen to pop songs through streaming services and currently using the topping a90/d90 stack or AK CA1000 / fiio M17 as the quasi portable setup.

Sorry, why no VO? I don't think you need extra isolation from VC because you also consider both Meze.

Elite will perform the highest technicalities from them, and I would put VO/VC in second place (With VO slight better than VC).

May 24, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #2,225 of 5,622

I haven't heard the VC (or Verite Open, for that matter) but as a former owner of the Empy and who listens to a lot of modern music, I would definitely say that the Elite is a significant upgrade from the Empyrean but although being on the slightly warm side, I would definitely emphasize that the Elite has a very different sound from the OG Empy. I have found that there are a few tracks in which the warmer, increased mid bass presentation of the Empyrean may be better to my ear, but overall, I have to agree with many reviewers that the Elite is the more resolving and versatile choice (especially as music gets faster and busier).

I've got a lot of respect for ZMF by reputation alone, and don't think you're going to go wrong with either choice, but one advantage that the Elite may have is that it's known to be more source agnostic, certainly compared to the VC, which may take more effort to get the synergy with source gear right. Your mileage may vary, of course, but by reading the VC thread I'm sure you know what I mean. Yes, the Elite should scale up very nicely with better amps, DACs, and cables, but is known for not being as picky as many TOTL headphones.

After having owned my Elites for a little while now, I would say that the Elite's biggest strength is that it's not very fussy, especially for a high end headphone. I would definitely opine that the Elite is plenty resolving for my tastes, but it attempts to balance detail retrieval and technical ability with enjoyment and versatility, and there's something to be said for that approach. It's like beveling an edge in woodworking, or tuning a car suspension to be firm enough for good handling, but not so much so that it beats up the driver for everyday use. I've found that the vast, vast majority of music works just great with these headphones without much issue- sounds fantastic, and that's what it's all about. Again, I think the word is versatile - which is not sexy to many people, especially for those who have mountains of gear. And many audiophiles actually LOVE fussy, so there's that too- the thrill is in the chase. That's definitely not me, though.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,227 of 5,622
The dCS Lina will be the First (and only?) Electronic system available on mezeaudio.com

I must say, I am intrigued now. Both Abyss and Meze stand behind the product.

May 25, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,228 of 5,622
The dCS Lina will be the First (and only?) Electronic system available on mezeaudio.com

Must be part of dCS's new marketing and distribution approach. Makes sense.

The dCS Bartok and Meze Elite are fantastic together!

May 25, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,229 of 5,622
Must be part of dCS's new marketing and distribution approach. Makes sense.

The dCS Bartok and Meze Elite are fantastic together!
Yeah either some super effective Marketing from dCS to get the big players on Board

Or some interesting distribution approach to reach actual headphone users and not speaker users who might happen to own headphones as well

May 25, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2,230 of 5,622

With a $30.000 price tag the Lina won't be available to most of us. I am sure those lucky few will enjoy it. :)

May 25, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,231 of 5,622
With a $30.000 price tag the Lina won't be available to most of us. I am sure those lucky few will enjoy it. :)
Yeah the price is crazy. At least it's modular so you could start with one and add others over time.

dCS guarantees longlivety at least.

I was simply surprised to see Meze offer a non Meze product in their store.

For Abyss this wasn't new, they already offer the XiAudio stack and Woo Wa33 JPS Edition which both were some collaboration

May 25, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,232 of 5,622
Impressive, I very much doubt I would ever end up with the complete stack but maybe the Network player/DAC at some point. I've ordered the Feliks Envy and that'll be it for me for some time. There'll probably be 2nd hand / ex demo options of the dCS network player by the time I eventually get to the point of considering it.

May 26, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,234 of 5,622
I bought a carrying case that was targeted for VR and drone and converted it into a carrying case for Elite (or Empyrean).

I bought the carrying case from Tmall and I pay $138 RMB (US$20) for it, you can check it out HERE, but since the description is in Chinese and I can't find a similar case in Aliexpress, so I'll describe the case briefly:

• The carrying box measured at 33 x 30 x 12 cm external, and 31.5 x 28.5 x 11 cm internal. It is split into two compartments. The lower compartment is where I used to store headphone, at 8.5cm height it is just fit for Elite/Empyrean. The upper compartment is ideal for DAP and accessories.
  • The carrying case comes with three pieces of Pick-n-Pluck foam (30.5cm x 27.5cmx 2.8cm), you can buy this specific foam at the shop for $28 RMB(~US$4)
  • There is no base foam, so I used one Pick-n-Pluck foam as base foam, and only cut a small hole for the widest part of the headband.
  • I spend roughly an hour trimming the second Pick-n-Pluck foam into the space that will hold the Elite in place. You can find some interesting instructions to work with Pick-n-Pluck foam on Youtube.
  • When I design the spacing for the Elite, I try to allocate ample space so that I don't need to remove the cable from the headphone when I put them into the carrying case. I maximize the main compartment space to hold an extra pair of IEM and cable on the side.
  • The upper compartment is self-explained, I used it to store the second pair of earpads, a DAP, and a portable headphone amplifier, and use the divider as the cable/accessory organizer for the portable electronics.
  • I secured the two pieces of Pick-n-Pluck foam together with several pins. If I decided this is the final layout of my carrying case, I'll glue them together and this will strengthen the second Pick-n-Pluck foam and stop it from falling apart.

1653584300555.png

1653583914604.png

1653583890763.png

1653583989787.png

1653586684088.png

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 26, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,235 of 5,622
If this has been discussed before, forgive me. I was just wondering if anyone could give some input. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some tube amplifiers for my Elite. New or used, it doesn't matter. I mainly listen to classical music.

My current system is Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, Luxman p-750u amp and the Elite. IF I choose to sell the Luxman, I can probably get $3,000 for it so that would be my ceiling I guess.

I am more than thrilled with the Luxman and probably won't do anything and just keep it, but I was just curious if others had high-end solid state and ditched it for tubes. I have to be out of my mind even considering this because the Luxman sounds so amazing but if we have $4,000 headphones, I guess we are all a little crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back