MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,547 of 5,614
IMO the leather Empyrean pads are essential with the Elite. Ergonomically speaking, I dislike everything Meze changed with the hybrid pads. The decreased clamping force and enlarged hole size cause the Elite to slip around whenever I move and my ears touch the inside grill no matter how I position the headphones. The alcantara pads remedy all of the comfort issues but roll off the sub bass which makes them useless to me. The leather Empyrean pads combine the best of both pad types without the flaws of either. If the all leather pads weren't an option I would probably have returned the Elite. With them installed, the Elite is my favorite headphones.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #1,548 of 5,614
IMO the leather Empyrean pads are essential with the Elite. Ergonomically speaking, I dislike everything Meze changed with the hybrid pads. The decreased clamping force and enlarged hole size cause the Elite to slip around whenever I move and my ears touch the inside grill no matter how I position the headphones. The alcantara pads remedy all of the comfort issues but roll off the sub bass which makes them useless to me. The leather Empyrean pads combine the best of both pad types without the flaws of either. If the all leather pads weren't an option I would probably have returned the Elite. With them installed, the Elite is my favorite headphones.
Nice to have the option
I preferred the hybrid pads but I can understand your position

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,549 of 5,614
Nice to have the option
I preferred the hybrid pads but I can understand your position

Would you mind describing the sound of the Empyrean leather pads on the Elite?

I borrowed the Elite for a few days and liked them a lot using the hybrid pads, but wouldn't mind a little less in the upper-mids...

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #1,550 of 5,614
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,551 of 5,614
Jan 9, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,552 of 5,614
100% my opinion and experience. Couldn‘t agree more

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #1,553 of 5,614
Hey all. New owner here. Wanted to ask if anyone has tried the Meze PCUHD cables with the Elite; and if so if you had a preference for the copper or silver?

Or do you have any other recommendations for aftermarket cables for the Elite?

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #1,554 of 5,614
Hey all. New owner here. Wanted to ask if anyone has tried the Meze PCUHD cables with the Elite; and if so if you had a preference for the copper or silver?

I have both and prefer the silver. Either would be an upgrade to the stock cables.

I understand they can turn more bills by selling them separately, but it would've been a solid gesture for what's considered their flagship model.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #1,556 of 5,614
I have both and prefer the silver. Either would be an upgrade to the stock cables.

I understand they can turn more bills by selling them separately, but it would've been a solid gesture for what's considered their flagship model.
Do you feel both upgrade cables improve the same ways over the stock cable, or would you feel the copper and silvers are meant for different things?

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #1,557 of 5,614
Do you feel both upgrade cables improve the same ways over the stock cable, or would you feel the copper and silvers are meant for different things?

Felt like they sounded better when I originally compared. Been some time since. Guess I should do so again. Bear in mind, I already had the copper set purchased for my OG Empyreans. So part of the desire to purchase the silver was to keep 'em both cabled at any given time.

I remember the Elites sounding fine with the copper. So much better than the stock. Outside of the sound, just the flexibility they offer in comparison was worth it to me.

The impression had with the silver was a slight improvement.

Not that it should matter, the Elite looks better cabled in silver, IMO.

I know some people speak highly of Toxic Cables. I have no experience with 'em.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with some additional recommendations.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #1,558 of 5,614
Note the silver is actually also copper, just silver plated copper.

I have both for the original Empyrean and I would say the fully copper is an improvement over the stock and the silver plated even more so.

Neither add any brightness either just extra clarity and detail. Everything is improved imho. It's quite clear to my ears.

I don't have the Elites (yet) to try them on those so I can only assume a similar level of improvement.

They are both beautifully made as well.

I would 100% recommend doing it. I think you would be happy with either cable

As Currawong mentioned in his review I would have to agree that they should ship the Elites with an upgrade cable.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,559 of 5,614

I had the silver plated Meze cable which is nice but not as nice as the flagship offerings from Norne Audio.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,560 of 5,614

Or do you have any other recommendations for aftermarket cables for the El Rose Silver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back