MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 9, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #421 of 5,614
After a week, I have come to believe that the Elites are similar enough to retain most of the Empyrean’s best sonic qualities, while the increased resolution and more neutral tuning make it different enough to justify owning both, IMHO. I concur with the Bloom Audio synopsis quoted above.
Yes if you listen to various genres of music.
For classical I would choose the Elite.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #422 of 5,614
Still the same headphone. Just updated packaging. I'm pretty certain they are working on a true successor, but don't know the release date.
Do you think the Elite lacks the visceral impact of the OG Empy in general, or that it is only "hidden" due to the lower bass presence and will reappear with eq-ing?

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #423 of 5,614
Do you think the Elite lacks the visceral impact of the OG Empy in general, or that it is only "hidden" due to the lower bass presence and will reappear with eq-ing?
I wish I could comment regarding the Empy. It's been so long and I been through so many after that headphone. That headphone wasn't lacking subbass that's certain.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #424 of 5,614
It has the same kind of visceral impact, just less impact. You can EQ more into it, but it still won’t match the OG on bass impact.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #425 of 5,614
After doing some more extensive listening, I'm definitely leaning towards keeping both the Empyreans and the Elites. Now all my recent listening has been solely through the Elites. I will pull the Empyreans out next week for some head to head comparisons. But based on remembered experience with the Empyreans, I'm beginning to appreciate the Elites more. Specifically the bass 'bloat' removal to allow the other frequencies some space. I'll still enjoy the extra bass/warmth when I'm in the mood for it. Still learning as I'm relatively new to the higher end of the hobby. It's one reason I've been hesitant to comment as frequently as others. Simply want to get better at articulating my experience and be more conversant with the shared vernacular.

The Empyreans will forever hold a special place since they were the first flaships I ever purchased. When I auditioned them, I also auditioned the Utopias, LCD-4s, and one other...I think it was a HiFi Man - couldn't tell you which model. My choice was primarily based on the music having more 'weight' to it IMO. Comfort was another (admittedly huge) factor. Build quality rounded up the rear.

Now, here I am with the top two Meze offerings and a DCA Stealth on the way. Provided the Stealths are keepers, these will have to suffice for quite some time.

Any future funds will have to go toward upgraded amplification. But I'm content with my RME and 789 for now. The upgraded Meze silver plated cable came in today. The copper ones can go back to the Empyreans.

Couple questions for those more in the know:

1. Anyone have a good primer on EQ'ing? Not ready to do so yet, but I'd like to start reading up on it for when I'm ready to maximize value out of the RME.

2. Can someone share some good advice on removing hum? This is an intermittent issue. I live in an apartment, so I'd imagine my environment is noisier than most. Streamer and RME are plugged into the same Furman strip, so that should rule out a ground loop, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #426 of 5,614
Try polarized ground adapter on your components and see if that solves the problem. Also called cheater plug.
If you have dimmers, computers, led light, appliances on the same circuit, then you're out of luck. Stocking components, Internet modems in close proximity to audio gear, entangled signal and power cables could all add noise to your system. It is not an easy fix and you gonna have to do all of the work since non of us can virtually help you find it.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #427 of 5,614
PS cheat plug(s) is not a solution but to test components on your circuit line that potentially cause ground loop noise. You can also try isolation transformer. Get it from place that takes returns in case it doesn't work for you.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #428 of 5,614
I don't think the bass on the Elites is hollowed out, it's snappy, responsive, and tight, but it just doesn't grab me with the same visceral thump that I hear on the Empy.
I'm glad I don't have to depart with $4k now. Bass, vocals and especially the extended highs is perfect for me in Empy especially the bass, anything less will not work for me.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #429 of 5,614
I'm glad I don't have to depart with $4k now. Bass, vocals and especially the extended highs is perfect for me in Empy especially the bass, anything less will not work for me.
They (Empys) sure are fun and I would love to own a pair but everyone should have at least one relatively “neutral” pair as well imho.

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #430 of 5,614
I'm judging which pads. I do think the hybrid is not giving me a thicker sound of alacantra but gives a bigger presentation. I guess I'll be a pad roller on this headphone depending on mood. But the Hybrid sounds more correct.

Minutes later:

The hybrid does better job over all. The huge sound is lost on the alacantra. These are better then Solitaire P. The P have a weird sound sig it's like they muted the airy sound a P making it come across artificial. I can't disrespect the 1266.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #431 of 5,614
Bass Tier 1
Abyss Phi 1266 TC - Strong and plentiful. More quantity the all others subject to adjustment of pads.
T+A elektroakustik Solitaire P - Quantity, clarity, depth and focus. My favorite.
Focal Utopia - Excellent, clear bass with tremendous punchiness.
Hifiman Susvara - With enough power the bass is clear and solid.

Bass Tier 2
Meze Elite- Good quantity not as precise as Tier 1 headphones.
T+A elektroakustik Solitaire P-SE- Quality bass but not as much quantity as the Solitaire P

Bass Tier 3
ZMF Verite Open
Focal Stellia
ZMF Verite Closed
Hifiman Arya

The headphones in Tier 3 all have adequate bass quantity for my tastes, especially the 3 headphones with dynamic drivers. However, when considered along with the overall sound signature of these headphones, I can’t really say one is that much better or worse than the others. Moreover, I don’t really listen these headphones these days.

This is a totally subjective ranking. I hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for checking that out and giving your ranking. That was a surprise to see the Utopias up in Tier 1, it must be a really solid headphone for you.

Do you have enough experience with the OG Empyreans to fit them into the list?

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #432 of 5,614
Thanks a lot for checking that out and giving your ranking. That was a surprise to see the Utopias up in Tier 1, it must be a really solid headphone for you.

Do you have enough experience with the OG Empyreans to fit them into the list?
I have never heard the OG Empyreans

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #435 of 5,614

Users who are viewing this thread

Back