MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #3,211 of 5,650
I posted a few comparisons, but if you are interested, I will summarize here. I have been A/B'ing the Utopia 2022 with the Elites, easily switching back and fourth on the same track using two amps receiving the same digital signal.

I am very acclimated to the Elites by this time, they were my go to for a few months now, and as such the Nutopia initially sounded kind of flat, neutral, and boring compared to the Elites. A couple days of breaking the Utopias in and my brain acclimating, made that neutral signature very pleasing to me. Now, going back to the Elites is like a shock at how colored they are in comparison. On the Elite, the midbass region is being emphasized for warmth, mids/vocals are a little recessed, and treble/details are smoothed over. The Utopia's neutral signature and the speed of the drivers also illuminates detail and resolution that the Elites aren't being able to deliver at quite the same level. On the Elite, the last bit of detail is smoothed over, a bit hazy in comparison to the Utopia, and this makes them a little easier to enjoy with less than perfect recordings. On imaging, the Utopia is probably the best I've heard, with a perfect spherical presentation with even distance all around my head. Instruments are placed very precisely in this sphere. With the Elites, the imaging is cast a little bigger and thrown out a bit further from my head, but its less precise. The Elites give you a region where the instrument is in space, the Utopia give you the exact coordinates, if you will. Downside with the Utopia is that it is a little bass shy, with sub-bass roll-off, like most open back dynamic headphones. I don't have complaints about bass on the Elites, but I do give the Utopia a 4db bass shelf below 80hz to get them to where I want. The Chord Mojo2's DSP EQ works great for this and is very transparent. The Utopia is more punchy and dynamic sounding, as is to be expected. Things they have in common - both almost the same ease to drive, plug them into a dongle and you're good. As long as your source is good, the power requirements are never a concern. They're both fantastic headphones. Utopia is more analytical, reference, refined, with more punch and dynamics. The Elites are warmer, more comfortable, bigger sounding, and can be more enjoyable for non-critical and easy listening.
Very detailed comparison. Thank you.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #3,212 of 5,650
The Elites scale exceptionally well, while they sound alright from more affordable gear too.
I do not think it is a power issue, more like higher quality implementation in those superior DACs/amps.
No doubt, they scale very well. The quality of the source and amp is more important than the quantity of power with them.

I like the Mojo2 because it's battery operated (and if I use it with a macbook pro, also on battery, or over toslink) it ends up being a very clean and isolated source. And it's DSP EQ sounds great and is super convenient. I end up using that to make small tweaks, using EQ more than I've ever done previously, because it's so quick and easy.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,214 of 5,650
Oct 5, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,216 of 5,650
Oct 5, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,217 of 5,650
Sometimes it slows Down significantly tho
Then you collect a few pairs of 300B tubes, and upgrade your solid state amp, because Envy is better, then...

Also, I used to lust after your Octave, and it is entuirely your fault that I bought the Hapa kn0t Ag cable, because I wanted a silver cable that didn't suck, and I couldn't get Norne to make me your S4 8-wire cable at the time! :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,218 of 5,650
Then you collect a few pairs of 300B tubes, and upgrade your solid state amp, because Envy is better, then...
I'm happy with my Solid State amp, but yeah I certainly will get more tubes over time.

Just like I will get the next Meze flagship. Wether it be next year or in 5...
New things are a part of the hobby, however it gets rarer and rarer to replace things, when you find the "perfect" fitting gear

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #3,219 of 5,650
Also, I used to lust after your Octave, and it is entuirely your fault that I bought the Hapa kn0t Ag cable, because I wanted a silver cable that didn't suck, and I couldn't get Norne to make me your S4 8-wire cable at the time! :)
Yeah it's a magnificent amp, I'm not suffering in the meantime.
Aesthetics of the Envy are the main reason I Lust after it. Sonically I expect "only" a sidegrade with different flavor.
Even tho I think the Envy also has the better tube options for rolling nowadays.

Sorry for your wallet, seems I caused it a lot of pain *shrug*

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #3,221 of 5,650
Well my new-to-me Elite are supposed to show up tomorrow Friday evening, should be interesting first listen. I have been on the 4z for several years exclusively, kinda nervous about switching away from my old standby cans. Hoping the Elite are all that they are chalked up to be! Obviously not the headphone voyeur that several here are, but it was time to give some other cans a go. Wish me luck! :L3000:

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #3,222 of 5,650
Well my new-to-me Elite are supposed to show up tomorrow Friday evening, should be interesting first listen. I have been on the 4z for several years exclusively, kinda nervous about switching away from my old standby cans. Hoping the Elite are all that they are chalked up to be! Obviously not the headphone voyeur that several here are, but it was time to give some other cans a go. Wish me luck! :L3000:
If it's not already coming with one - pick up a nice silver Meze cable. There's usually one or two for sale in the classifieds. Big improvement over stock cable.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #3,225 of 5,650
Happy to report my new to me Elites sound sick. Compared to my 4z, slightly (I mean slightly) less bass depth but extremely detailed sub into mid-bass. Yes. Mids to die for. I think better than 4z there. Into the treble, beautiful musical sparkly airiness I have been craving for so long. Such a beautiful musical presentation! Oh and now I get the sound stage thing. There is stage! Hallelujah. Comfortable beyond belief. I reckon these are keepers for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back