MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Aug 26, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2,866 of 5,664
The Meze Elite is rated at 32ohm, basically flat on the complete audible frequency bandwidth, 24 Ohm is definitely on the high side. Numerically. amplifier engineers recommend 3x as a basic consideration, so 10 ohm is more or less the starting point, and audiophiles who are looking for tight bass and excellent control prefer 5x.
Makes sense. My Quicksilver amp's output impedance is less than 3 Ohm, so it's a much better match for the Elite.

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,867 of 5,664
So I got my Ferrum Hypsos back and the chain is alive and singing:L3000:. The Elites are staying. I am not saying the Elites are better than the LCD5s, but they do offer a more organic/natural timbre without a need for additional EQ. They are easier to just listen and get lost into versus the more aggressive, speedy LCD5s. Good complements really.

On the Elite, mids are excellent, microdynamics are surprisingly great (macrodynamics can use a bit extra but I'll live lol). I really like the subbass on Elites but could also use a bit more midbass texture and detail. Unfortunately, I don't think they respond to a bass shelf as "cleanly" as on the LCD5s, the latter responding tremendously well overall to EQ. Soundstage width is excellent, soundstage depth is nice, and height is relatively low which gives an enjoyable half-oval type of soundstage.

I do find the Elites even more musical than the Susvaras at times- but if I want real detail, treble extension, chillingly realistic vocals, and airy space between instruments, I'll grab the Susvaras. Looking forward to trying the Sol-P's at one point to compare although I am not a huge fan of the allegedly "drier" tonality in general.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,868 of 5,664
So I got my Ferrum Hypsos back and the chain is alive and singing:L3000:. The Elites are staying. I am not saying the Elites are better than the LCD5s, but they do offer a more organic/natural timbre without a need for additional EQ. They are easier to just listen and get lost into versus the more aggressive, speedy LCD5s. Good complements really.

On the Elite, mids are excellent, microdynamics are surprisingly great (macrodynamics can use a bit extra but I'll live lol). I really like the subbass on Elites but could also use a bit more midbass texture and detail. Unfortunately, I don't think they respond to a bass shelf as "cleanly" as on the LCD5s, the latter responding tremendously well overall to EQ. Soundstage width is excellent, soundstage depth is nice, and height is relatively low which gives an enjoyable half-oval type of soundstage.

I do find the Elites even more musical than the Susvaras at times- but if I want real detail, treble extension, chillingly realistic vocals, and airy space between instruments, I'll grab the Susvaras. Looking forward to trying the Sol-P's at one point to compare although I am not a huge fan of the allegedly "drier" tonality in general.
Love this. The Elites have really grown on me over time too.

I've also been thinking about the Ferrum stack, so this is an informative post in that regard.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,869 of 5,664
Love this. The Elites have really grown on me over time too.

I've also been thinking about the Ferrum stack, so this is an informative post in that regard.
Another endorsement here for the Elites with the Ferrum stack. Smoked the Lina amp when used with the stack. I do prefer my Elites to the Susvara though.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,870 of 5,664

I agree with your comments on the Elite/LCD5/Susvara/Soli P. It is a bit of a personal choice, but to me the Elite's organic involvement and still technical enough lushness was way more attractive than the LCD5's better technical accuracy, speed and perfectly neutral sound. The LCD5 lacks space as well compared to the Elite. I like other Audeze's but not really keen on the LCD5 tbh. It is more like a tool, a perfect machine to me while the Elite is a source of musical joy.
The Susvara is unique but needs a serious chain to sound good. The Soli P is absolutely fantastic sounding but as you say a little dry.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #2,871 of 5,664
Just joined the Elite club :o2smile:
20220827_195948.jpg

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,873 of 5,664
Another endorsement here for the Elites with the Ferrum stack. Smoked the Lina amp when used with the stack. I do prefer my Elites to the Susvara though.
Been familiar with Susvara for years, and recently I got loaned Susvara for few days too (today is the third day). This headphone will never remove Elite from my life.

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #2,874 of 5,664
Not to repeat myself, but …
… <edit> Going out on a limb and saying Elite are the best pairing I’ve heard direct out of Hugo 2 </edit>
… and
mScaler ==> H2 ==> Elite
is the best chain I have to drive Elite … well … or maybe tied with
mScaler ==> TT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Elite

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #2,875 of 5,664
I think what separates excellent headphones from exceptional ones is the ability to portray sound as a 3D reality illusion that surrounds you. You do not feel you are listening to great headphones anymore but can easily immerse into the illusion that sound is happening all around you. Almost like with speakers. The Elite does that for me. Truly one of the best available headphones in 2022.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,876 of 5,664
Have you tried the pairing between the Elite and the Luxman P750u?

Could you describe to me how the headphones sound with the Luxman?
I've had the Luxman for a little over a year, and haven't been rolling amps so I can't really say how it compares to other amplifiers.
Only thing I can say is with Elites, I much prefer the Stratus, while for the Empys I much preferred the Luxman.

Luxman is more accurate and open sounding, while the Stratus sounds more holographic and slightly rounds everything.
People say Luxman is a touch warm, and I agree if you compare it against something like GSX or THX amps.
Their older amps are definitely warmer, but the P-750u is quite neutral imo.

For classical music and instrumental jazz, my sweet spot is the Stratus w/ Alcantera pads.
For everything else I enjoy the Luxman + Leather pad, bass is much more tighter and cleaner.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,877 of 5,664
I've had the Luxman for a little over a year, and haven't been rolling amps so I can't really say how it compares to other amplifiers.
Only thing I can say is with Elites, I much prefer the Stratus, while for the Empys I much preferred the Luxman.

Luxman is more accurate and open sounding, while the Stratus sounds more holographic and slightly rounds everything.
People say Luxman is a touch warm, and I agree if you compare it against something like GSX or THX amps.
Their older amps are definitely warmer, but the P-750u is quite neutral imo.

For classical music and instrumental jazz, my sweet spot is the Stratus w/ Alcantera pads.
For everything else I enjoy the Luxman + Leather pad, bass is much more tighter and cleaner.
thank you very much, you have been very kind

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #2,878 of 5,664
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #2,879 of 5,664
I just joined the Elite club. They are being shipped to me and should have them by next week. Got mine used for $2600 USD including a XLR and 4.4 silver cable. I will be selling the 4.4 cable soon if anyone is interested.

I will be amping them with an Audio-gd Master 9 and a Metrum Menuet DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,880 of 5,664
Can you elaborate on why you like the Elites more? I'm thinking of selling the SolP and getting some Elites to pair with the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back