MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Mar 8, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,833 of 5,672
3-4 years ago I listened to the Empyrean out of a Chord TT2/MScaler combo. As one of my first TOTL system, the spaciousness, 3D imaging, natural tone and timbre blew my mind. Since this experience I learnt a lot. I learnt, that Chord gear gives exceptional 3D qualities. After auditioning/reviewing/owning several other flagships I came to see the Empyrean's limitations. In the 3-4K league the Empy definitely lacks resolution, separation, detail-retrieval, definition, balance. As someone who supports Meze now I think the Empy is slightly overpriced, as well as the Liric is.

The Elite in my book is a completely different story. With the Elite Meze has outdone themselves. Meze has stepped out of the shadow of the old Empy and also clearly surpassed anything the Liric offers.

There might be certain technicalities other headphones do better. I am sure, the 1266, Susvara, LCD5 do some technical and measurable things better. Yet, the Elite to me has enough technicalities to play on the same ground. Not the most technical, but definitely the most musical and most enjoyable. (Still more technical than 90% of any headphones.)

I just love them and currently I do not think I will need anything better than these in the foreseeable future.

Sure I loved my Empy, but the Elite is classes above. I also loved my D8000, but the Elite is classes above in a different way: the D8K has characteristics to love while IMO the Empy looses everything in comparison to the Elite. The Empy feels like elementary school and the Elite is PhD graduate level. The D8000 is master degree for sure, but Elite's PhD is on a higher level. Perhaps different, but definitely more mature.
Yuo still have chord combo?

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #1,834 of 5,672
Just finsih my morning read and about to put down my Elite and go for lunch. I am sure this a the kind of routine that you all want to retire into? :wink:

PS. 12:07pm is GMT+8, so less then 30 mins ago.

N8ii with Elite.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 9, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #1,835 of 5,672
Inner Fidelity is dearly missed when I read Stereophile's CanJam coverage on Meze Elite. Wish we can have Tyll's comment and Jana's video on show coverage again.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #1,836 of 5,672
please keep me posted. i will try to find some time to do the same!
I isolated my audio equipment (as much as possible, the streamer is still connected to other equipment via the network cable, and the wall socket is not a separate group), but I still get the noise occasionally. I suspect it is the M scaler. Which is strange because I have expensive BNC cables that should block EMI/RFI. I will ask in the M scaler thread. Do you happen to have an M scaler in your chain?

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,839 of 5,672
Was hoping for more amp pairing recommendations. Bueller?
I imagine it’s because us Elite owners don’t feel It’s as big of an issue as it is with other TOTL headphones (TC and Susvara owners will happily share what works and what doesn’t). The Elites being easy to drive makes the need to go amp hunting less important. With that said, I only know my Elites as powered by my GT and could not imagine a better pairing (nor will I try to seek one out). That was a big motivator for me to not get the Susvara. I did not want to always wonder if I’m feeding them properly.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,841 of 5,672
I isolated my audio equipment (as much as possible, the streamer is still connected to other equipment via the network cable, and the wall socket is not a separate group), but I still get the noise occasionally. I suspect it is the M scaler. Which is strange because I have expensive BNC cables that should block EMI/RFI. I will ask in the M scaler thread. Do you happen to have an M scaler in your chain?
I have an M-scaler in my chain, no issues. No wave cables though, I went for a battery and optical connection to the streamer. Maybe give Toslink a try? I like it way more than coax.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,842 of 5,672
I find it funny, how some people in the LCD5 thread bash the Elite.
Well i have to thank you :p I've had both of them for a home audition at different times, and preferred the LCD-5 initially, but your enthusiasm made me get them both for a side by side comparison this weekend:
274756422_1581187465589516_8119671873181097139_n.jpg

I can't seem to put the Elite down enough to compare to the LCD-5 anymore, they just blow them out of the water for me. EQ or no EQ on the LCD-5. The soundstage is claustrophobic on the LCD-5, the bass is lacking, and i can't really find anything they do better honestly. Maybe studio monitoring since the voices sound a bit more realistic and less...romanticized.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,843 of 5,672
Well i have to thank you :p I've had both of them for a home audition at different times, and preferred the LCD-5 initially, but your enthusiasm made me get them both for a side by side comparison this weekend:
274756422_1581187465589516_8119671873181097139_n.jpg
I can't seem to put the Elite down enough to compare to the LCD-5 anymore, they just blow them out of the water for me. EQ or no EQ on the LCD-5. The soundstage is claustrophobic on the LCD-5, the bass is lacking, and i can't really find anything they do better honestly. Maybe studio monitoring since the voices sound a bit more realistic and less...romanticized.
The LCD5 is more system sensitive. Also, to my ears they are like a perfectionist studio monitor: most neutral, excellent details and a clean machine that does every technicalities in an excellent way. To me the Elite on the other hand offers joy, fun, musicality, engagement, an addictive tone... Each to their own I guess.

Mar 10, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,845 of 5,672
The LCD5 is more system sensitive. Also, to my ears they are like a perfectionist studio monitor: most neutral, excellent details and a clean machine that does every technicalities in an excellent way.
Agreed, but I think my source chain is close to as good as it gets for the LCD-5 (subjective preferences aside). It is cleaner, and more incisive, but I attribute that to tuning. It's definitely much better as a studio monitor ,but I don't see much difference in technical proficiency at the moment. I'll keep evaluating over the next 3-4 days, but the only reason I'm getting open backs is for better staging and imaging, and the LCD-5 are comparable to the Z1R, maybe even a bit narrower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back