Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,883 of 3,500
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #2,884 of 3,500
Well I just finished ten days with the 109 Pro's. I am sure I will get to know it better in the coming months.

My ten day impressions are:

1) The bass is strong and clear when the music calls for it. I started with my test list which leans heavy on the bass and tonight I finished with it. If the music is easy going and soft, there is no bass at all. But start rocking some bass and it will hit hard (similar to the HD660S2).
1695603022811.png

2) The mids are GREAT! Male vocals, female vocals, guitars, etc.

3) The treble is loud and clear. I had an issue early on with it getting a bit wonky, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. The only harsh time during the trial was tonight with jazz. Lee Morgan - The Cooker was really wailing, it got pretty sharp. And that happened a few times. No worse than my Grado's.

Today I went through; Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, Clarence Clemons, Nubya Garcia, Shalosh and Hank Mobley. ALL the jazz sounded great. As stated earlier, I finished with the test list to get some bass back.

I really like these headphones as they fit into the mold of what I like. I hear similarities to the Grado's, Clear's, HD660S2's, in various frequencies. The are very light, comfortable and attractive. I am glad I got them and will likely be keeping them. They don't bring anything new to the collection, but they are a nice compliment.

Time to move on to another set on Monday.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,885 of 3,500
I agree with you for the most part. I think the 109 sounds more alive and has more energy in the bass reaponse compared to the s2 and it is a tend brighter to the s2 which suits me really great but as people say they are totaly different sounding headphones. And none of them either suck or are bad.

The meze still gets its medal for its outstanding design and comfort

Also i think the meze is better for low low volume listening. I feel sometimes the s2 looses details on lower volumes

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,887 of 3,500
The cable is good enough. I really would love to try the meze upgrade cable and if this cable really makes a different. I never could test it by self. Some here seem to be strong belivers that cable makes a different in sound quality

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2,888 of 3,500
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,889 of 3,500
The cable is good enough. I really would love to try the meze upgrade cable and if this cable really makes a different. I never could test it by self. Some here seem to be strong belivers that cable makes a different in sound quality
IMO the only differences in cables are in construction, microphonics, weight and flexibility.

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,890 of 3,500
IMO the only differences in cables are in construction, microphonics, weight and flexibility.
If you have a balanced amp, the upgrade to a 4.4mm cable is worth it.

I like the Meze 4.4mm cables.

Sep 26, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #2,891 of 3,500
Well I just finished ten days with the 109 Pro's. I am sure I will get to know it better in the coming months.

My ten day impressions are:

1) The bass is strong and clear when the music calls for it. I started with my test list which leans heavy on the bass and tonight I finished with it. If the music is easy going and soft, there is no bass at all. But start rocking some bass and it will hit hard (similar to the HD660S2).
1695603022811.png

2) The mids are GREAT! Male vocals, female vocals, guitars, etc.

3) The treble is loud and clear. I had an issue early on with it getting a bit wonky, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. The only harsh time during the trial was tonight with jazz. Lee Morgan - The Cooker was really wailing, it got pretty sharp. And that happened a few times. No worse than my Grado's.

Today I went through; Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, Clarence Clemons, Nubya Garcia, Shalosh and Hank Mobley. ALL the jazz sounded great. As stated earlier, I finished with the test list to get some bass back.

I really like these headphones as they fit into the mold of what I like. I hear similarities to the Grado's, Clear's, HD660S2's, in various frequencies. The are very light, comfortable and attractive. I am glad I got them and will likely be keeping them. They don't bring anything new to the collection, but they are a nice compliment.

Time to move on to another set on Monday.
Would you take these over the XTC you heard? I was pretty impressed with the set I had on loan, but it more ways than not, they sounded rather similar to my Kennertons. I'd like something that offers a different flavor, so I'm thinking the 109 might be the better route.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #2,892 of 3,500
Would you take these over the XTC you heard? I was pretty impressed with the set I had on loan, but it more ways than not, they sounded rather similar to my Kennertons. I'd like something that offers a different flavor, so I'm thinking the 109 might be the better route.
I did not get a chance to hear the XTC's as they were for sale online (CAM).
I thought hard about the XTC's and the HiFiman R10D's. In the end I just decided that I am really not a fan of closed backs. I am enjoying my Radiance's this week, but am Very aware of the lack of "openness".

I do like the 109's, but the bass is just enough and they can be a little hot, with the high stuff. Great with rock and pop though.

TBH, if I had paid full price, (in Canada that would be $1099.00, plus 15% tax), I would probably return them. But for the $720.00, plus shipping, that I paid, I will likely keep them.

As I type this I am thinking, are they a Grado with bass? Maybe...

Both have Amazing mids!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #2,893 of 3,500
I did not get a chance to hear the XTC's as they were for sale online (CAM).
I thought hard about the XTC's and the HiFiman R10D's. In the end I just decided that I am really not a fan of closed backs. I am enjoying my Radiance's this week, but am Very aware of the lack of "openness".

I do like the 109's, but the bass is just enough and they can be a little hot, with the high stuff. Great with rock and pop though.

TBH, if I had paid full price, (in Canada that would be $1099.00, plus 15% tax), I would probably return them. But for the $720.00, plus shipping, that I paid, I will likely keep them.

As I type this I am thinking, are they a Grado with bass? Maybe...

Both have Amazing mids!
The XTC comes in an open version as well. That's what I heard. Nice, open, and spacious, but the closed backs are very open sounding to the honest.
My only concern is that the 109 is going to be problematic in the treble with poorly recorded 80s hair metal. These albums can be a bit harsh when revealed. But I have plenty of other stuff I can listen to.

Sep 26, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #2,894 of 3,500
The XTC comes in an open version as well. That's what I heard. Nice, open, and spacious, but the closed backs are very open sounding to the honest.
My only concern is that the 109 is going to be problematic in the treble with poorly recorded 80s hair metal. These albums can be a bit harsh when revealed. But I have plenty of other stuff I can listen to.
What kind of 80's music? Give me some bands. I have 777 songs from the 80's. If you want to give me some examples, I can try them out.
Honestly, all the rock sounded pretty good to me.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #2,895 of 3,500
Just got a new ones. Cannot say Im 100% satisfied with the build quality. Regarding the sound impression - giving to drivers some time for burning-in, will see later. As for now - pretty calm and flat signature, that is good for me.
IMG_20230927_142915.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back