Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 23, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,868 of 3,591
I will suck at trying to explain this but...
With extended or dense treble stuff, like jazz horns just wailing, sometimes it seemed the notes stretched out or just faded away. Unlike the bass and mids which have obvious beginnings and endings.

The guy I bought these from said that they had too much treble for him. I asked him if it was high pitched vocals, horns or something else that got to him? He then said that no it was more that there was too much space or air in the high end. I had NO idea what he was talking about. Now I do. Some treble notes fade out rather than end. I have never heard this before and I have gone through about 45 headphones so far.

Told ya I'd suck at it! :smile: I think I have been subconsciously avoided jazz for a few days. This weekend I will hop on the jazz train for the weekend. If I can get a better sense of what I was talking about or actual examples of what I mean, I will come back and note them.

PS: A lack of separation might be a good description.
Makes sense to me. I actually like the sound of that.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #2,869 of 3,591
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,870 of 3,591
I know @ShaneD has different taste in test tracks, but am listening to Los Indios on Tidal and find the separation and isolation to be just right

This track by Yello is also on my test list for isolation and separation :)
I must admit that I have never heard those artists and I don't stream.
My only issue so far has been with the treble, but I am having a hard time recreating it.
So far today, I have gone through Miles Davis, Freddie Hubbard, John Coltrane, Donald Byrd, Shirley Scott & the Soul Saxes, Stanley Turrentine and am now into Makaya McCraven. No issues with anything yet.

However, it is a Very nice way to spend Saturday! :L3000:

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,871 of 3,591
Well we all can agree that the 109 pro are fantastic headphones. Maybe you should try lowering the volume a little? I feel like they are much more enjoyable on lower volumes. And this tames treble somewhat too

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,872 of 3,591
Well we all can agree that the 109 pro are fantastic headphones. Maybe you should try lowering the volume a little? I feel like they are much more enjoyable on lower volumes. And this tames treble somewhat too
I am a very quiet listener and never go above 75 Db's and those are just peaks.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,874 of 3,591
I had an issue coming out of last weekend but I haven't been able to duplicate it so far. Maybe I have adjusted to it or maybe it was something in the recording(s). I will keep at it hard for the weekend and see what I can find.

That will be ten days with one set and that is a rarity for me. I am definitely becoming a fan.:o2smile:

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,875 of 3,591
the pure energy of this track was so well presented on the 109 would love to know your toughts about such music shane. i have been listening scooter since i can remember

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #2,877 of 3,591
can someone explain what a soft bass is? is that something bad? i never heard a greater bass on a headphone before. to me it sounds real and warm. it just makes me happy every time

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #2,878 of 3,591
can someone explain what a soft bass is? is that something bad? i never heard a greater bass on a headphone before. to me it sounds real and warm. it just makes me happy every time
I have been in this hobby for a long time. Go with what your ears are telling you. I have tried all different models of expensive headphones. After all this time, Shure SRH1540 headphones are still my favorites. The Meze 109 Pro headphones are a close runner up. I didn't like the Empyrean headphones.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,880 of 3,591
i just wanted to know what people meant by a soft bass is it negative or a good thing?
Soft bass will have more rounded, less abrupt/punchy bass response. It doesn't dig quite as low into the low frequency. It's preference. I prefer bass somewhere in between. Too hard and punchy can be irritating with headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back