Meze Audio 109 Pro
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #1,111 of 3,538
When a headphone has sibilance it is never because of its cable. It is because of bad or non perfect tuning in high frequencies. Cables cannot and will not affect the frequency response of the headphone. And sibilance will not go away without corrections to the frequency response. You can instead experiment with denser foams or other kind of materials between the transducer and the ears but experimenting with cables is a total waste of time and money. Different cables is only marketing, empty of reality and audio science. The best solution is always a different headphone or EQing. Never count on cables!

My 109s did not settle down till about 200 hours of break in. The drivers need time to acheive optimum flexibility before you try any other tweaks.

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,112 of 3,538
For a 3000 euros headphone sounds really really good. Sorry, what? Only costs 800 euros? Impossible

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,113 of 3,538
My 109s did not settle down till about 200 hours of break in. The drivers need time to acheive optimum flexibility before you try any other tweaks.
People always complain about Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B sibilance, but balanced, I love them and their treble.

Dec 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #1,114 of 3,538
Honestly i'm listening in single ended and this headphone is unbelievable

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,116 of 3,538
People always complain about Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B sibilance, but balanced, I love them and their treble.
I am now in the 70+ demographic, and believe that we have our own “harman curve” based on how well our ears are holding up.

Without EQ, the 109s hit the Goldilocks zone for my ears.

For fun, I tried to develop an EQ compensation curve for some of my headphones based on my last audiologist’s report. Gave up and went back to the Meze 109 Pros.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #1,117 of 3,538
I didn't find the Msr7b sibilant, the upper end was actually quite nice. Would I find the 109 sibilant in comparison?
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones balanced from my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is amazing. I am still looking at the 109 Pro headphones.

Dec 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,118 of 3,538
I am now in the 70+ demographic, and believe that we have our own “harman curve” based on how well our ears are holding up.

Without EQ, the 109s hit the Goldilocks zone for my ears.

For fun, I tried to develop an EQ compensation curve for some of my headphones based on my last audiologist’s report. Gave up and went back to the Meze 109 Pros.
You may be on to something.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #1,119 of 3,538
When a headphone has sibilance it is never because of its cable. It is because of bad or non perfect tuning in high frequencies. Cables cannot and will not affect the frequency response of the headphone. And sibilance will not go away without corrections to the frequency response. You can instead experiment with denser foams or other kind of materials between the transducer and the ears but experimenting with cables is a total waste of time and money. Different cables is only marketing, empty of reality and audio science. The best solution is always a different headphone or EQing. Never count on cables!
Disagree, I've tried different cables, some make the earphones sound harsh and some don't.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #1,120 of 3,538
Disagree, I've tried different cables, some make the earphones sound harsh and some don't.
Cables typically aren't the solution to battle sibilance. However, if a headphone is only slightly sibilant, a cable swap can suffice. If it's moderately to heavily sibilant, EQ and tuning mods are only solution - but it doesn't always work.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,122 of 3,538
Earphones (in-ear headphones) usually have very low impedance. When this impedance varies with frequency (as it does for most headphones), the frequency response is strongly affected by the different output impedances of various amplifiers (headphone outputs). This must be taken into account to avoid misinterpretation as an effect of other causes.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #1,124 of 3,538
I think some of our ears are cursed by being sensitive to sibilance. Source also plays a role, for example: DT880 250ohm+Fiio K5Pro = earbleeds.

The stock cables for the 109 are utterly garbage, they are collecting dust like literally. I might throw them, it sucks for the animals and sea creatures but if they are audiophiles too, free cables for them lol

Dec 7, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,125 of 3,538
I think some of our ears are cursed by being sensitive to sibilance. Source also plays a role, for example: DT880 250ohm+Fiio K5Pro = earbleeds.

The stock cables for the 109 are utterly garbage, they are collecting dust like literally. I might throw them, it sucks for the animals and sea creatures but if they are audiophiles too, free cables for them lol
i am sensitive to sibilance but i have no problems with109. usually i heard immediately when one headphone has this problem. which cable use with meze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back