Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #362 of 3,470
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #363 of 3,470
Everything you said regarding the DT880 600ohm, I agree. When using the Amiron Home for a period of time or HP-3 or 109, the DT880 suddenly lacks bass. And exactly as you said! Using the DT880 with a Fiio K5 Pro is also unlistenable. At some point, I gave up and sold the DT880, it was the 250ohm version. I sold the Fiio and got the Klipsch dac/amp, 'rebought' the DT880, tho the Manufakturer edition and 600ohm and perfectly listenable and highs are easy on the ears too. The Klipsch dac/amp also enhances the bass? When playing GTAV for example, it sounds very great.
I never had Klipsch Heritage amp but from a review I see its kind of full bodied/warmer side. So I assume Meze 109 also sound nice from it?

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #364 of 3,470
Compared to 109, the Tygr is very bassy and warmer sounding. To me, the cymbals are smooth. Maybe I forced my ears by training the past 2-2,5 years or it's been like that since always. The Tygr also hides the 'microdetails' but you can hear them alright by cranking the volume which is not a good idea. Compared to 109, the Tygr is a joke and I don't even want to talk bad about it. Though the Tygr is not a bad headphone at all.
Thank you very much, that's what I wanted to hear!

It's hard to go from the Arya SE (or even the Sundara...) to the Tygr sometimes. And to me the problem is not the lack of micro details per se, but the general tuning and rendition of the instruments. I just can't stand bloated mid bass (had to eq it down on the AT R70X), which is my fear with the 109 Pro.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #365 of 3,470
Anyone know a good custom cable for the 109?
Have an Arctic Cables Ingens on the way - 8 wire hybrid - but also have Forza Claire Hybrid here, which I expect will pair well. Expecting my pair of 109s in the next day or so.

BTW, off topic - Beyer 880 fantastic headphones. The whole 770, 880, 990 series are amazing value for money and always my suggestion for new comers. Higher the ohm the better, IMO.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #366 of 3,470
Have an Arctic Cables Ingens on the way - 8 wire hybrid - but also have Forza Claire Hybrid here, which I expect will pair well. Expecting my pair of 109s in the next day or so.

BTW, off topic - Beyer 880 fantastic headphones. The whole 770, 880, 990 series are amazing value for money and always my suggestion for new comers. Higher the ohm the better, IMO.
Look forward to reading your impressions of the 109. Should give me a much better idea if these will be yay or nay for me.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #369 of 3,470
I never had Klipsch Heritage amp but from a review I see its kind of full bodied/warmer side. So I assume Meze 109 also sound nice from it?
Definitely! I used to dislike some of my headphones but it seems the Fiio K5 Pro was the problem. It made the highs of the DT880 completely unbearable too. What this Klipsch Heritage dac/amps is exactly what I want too and yes, the 109 paires very well with it.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #370 of 3,470
Thank you very much, that's what I wanted to hear!

It's hard to go from the Arya SE (or even the Sundara...) to the Tygr sometimes. And to me the problem is not the lack of micro details per se, but the general tuning and rendition of the instruments. I just can't stand bloated mid bass (had to eq it down on the AT R70X), which is my fear with the 109 Pro.
Yeah, I perfectly understand what you mean. And the soundstage is also not really impressive too. Maybe it's me? It's hard for me to switch from other headphones like HP3, 109 Pro and even from Amiron Home. You probably will love the 109, it doesn't have bloated mid bass, otherwise most of us would probably return the 109 and stick to Tygr :p

Despites the Tygr is not bad, it's collecting dust.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #371 of 3,470
I would love to hear from you all who will be using different cables. Do you hear any difference? What about bass and highs etc etc

This "Dragon" cables....does a dragon comes out of your ears or what lol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #372 of 3,470
I listened to the 109 yesterday at canjam and came away enjoying the experience. I love the fit and finish for its asking price. I suspect those who found the upper frequencies a problem may find it different sounding with proper burn-in; many exhibitors from my experience don’t pre-burn their listening samples for the show.

An example of this was the Utopia 2022. Before I listened to it I was told by a Focal staff member there was no burn-in on the samples. I didn’t like what I heard at all, anemic bass and splashy trebles, and this is from someone who owned the original Utopia for a couple years with great enjoyment. ✌️

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #373 of 3,470
Some impressions and discussion on reddit with quite interesting comment/observation.
Counterpoint: No they aren't. They sounded like a slightly more refined (but much more comfortable) Sennheiser HD599 with a slight added treble spice.

They'd make sense as an open back sister to the 99 Classics for someone who wants a more V-shaped foil to something like HD650 (which IMO still outdoes 109 in tuning and res), but at $800 it's a complete non-starter when something like Focal Elex oudoes it handily in tuning, dynamics, res, etc.

Best value, like the rest of Meze's lineup, they are not. You can like the sound, but if you're going to make claims about value (especially after only hearing it on the show floor) you have to compare it to things *less* expensive, because it isn't even outdoing things that cost a third of its price.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #374 of 3,470
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #375 of 3,470
Some impressions and discussion on reddit with quite interesting comment/observation.

Yeah, I have no idea what that user is talking about. I hate sounding "snobbish" as I understand everyone has different experiences in terms of what headphones they've used in the past (whether it be due to finances, how much they're willing to spend on the hobby, etc.), but there is no way these cans get outperformed by lower priced items (assuming we're talking retail pricing).

I already posted my impressions on here, so no need for me to restate what I already posted, but as someone who has had the privilege of using/owning different TOTL headphones/high priced cans, I still stand by my statement (especially given how much more time I've had to listen to the 109's) that these may be the best value headphones on the market right now (maybe only losing out to the Sundaras and HD 6xx due to their lower prices).

It's also kind of weird that user made that comment when it sounded like he either never tried the 109's or only had a chance to test them for a short period (probably in a noisy environment). But everyone hears sound different and why this hobby is so interesting, it's all subjective at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back