Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #331 of 3,452
Meze did a damn good job! Finally some high-end headphones that doesn't cost from 2500 and up, I mean, we already have it bad enough with the inflations and skyrocketed energy bills! Whoever wants a €2000 and up, there is the Liric, Empyrean and Elite for you. This is a reaction to those who thinks the 109 should cost 2500 or more. So, the 109 is probably perfectly and reasonable priced at 799.

Just think some people were arguing that the SQ was among the best of Mezes cans :p

But its obvious that the 109 saves a lot of cost compared to the Lirics/Emp/Elites:

Simpler suspension system
Cheaper Materials
In-house driver (prob the biggest saving)
Cheaper earpads (both the actual pads and the fasting system)

I'm guessing Meze also priced the 109s more aggressively since they'll prob sell loads more of these compared to their more expensive options.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #332 of 3,452
Just think some people were arguing that the SQ was among the best of Mezes cans :p

But its obvious that the 109 saves a lot of cost compared to the Lirics/Emp/Elites:

Simpler suspension system
Cheaper Materials
In-house driver (prob the biggest saving)
Cheaper earpads (both the actual pads and the fasting system)

I'm guessing Meze also priced the 109s more aggressively since they'll prob sell loads more of these compared to their more expensive options.
100%! And the funny part is even though these aren't as well built as their higher end headphones, they still have better build quality than most of the headphones below $3,000.

Plus, I think these cans are a way for them to try to upsell buyers into purchasing their higher end cans. And if that's the case, it's working! I'm really starting to contemplate buying an Elite somewhere in the future given how much I'm enjoying the 109's and the Lirics. I just didn't fancy the sound when I tried them in the store, but maybe I just need more time with them to really let them grow on me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #333 of 3,452
100%! And the funny part is even though these aren't as well built as their higher end headphones, they still have better build quality than most of the headphones below $3,000.

Plus, I think these cans are a way for them to try to upsell buyers into purchasing their higher end cans. And if that's the case, it's working! I'm really starting to contemplate buying an Elite somewhere in the future given how much I'm enjoying the 109's and the Lirics. I just didn't fancy the sound when I tried them in the store, but maybe I just need more time with them to really let them grow on me.

I'll prob be pretty happy with the 109's! The diminishing returns when you get into the higher-end cans are just too much for my taste :/

But If I ever have the need of a pair of closed backs then the Lirics are high on my list, I briefly owned them, liked them, but in the end I had no use of a non ANC-closed back pairs with my current living situation.

But I do really really miss the headband of the Lirics, that headband is supreme!

Personally I hope that Meze will dip their toes into ANC/BT cans/tws next, bluetooth technology is finally "there"!

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #334 of 3,452
I'll prob be pretty happy with the 109's! The diminishing returns when you get into the higher-end cans are just too much for my taste :/

But If I ever have the need of a pair of closed backs then the Lirics are high on my list, I briefly owned them, liked them, but in the end I had no use of a non ANC-closed back pairs with my current living situation.

But I do really really miss the headband of the Lirics, that headband is supreme!

Personally I hope that Meze will dip their toes into ANC/BT cans/tws next, bluetooth technology is finally "there"!
Absolutely! I have to applaud Meze here. It seems like they took all the criticism they received over the past couple years from their end end headphones and really acted on them with these.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #335 of 3,452
Plus, I think these cans are a way for them to try to upsell buyers into purchasing their higher end cans.
It's probably also to make some money.
Flagships earn Prestige and Brand value, however most money is earned in the lower Segments.

Look at Hifiman and Audeze, most of their earnings don't come from flagships

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #337 of 3,452
If it was quite cold in the carrier's trunk, where box with headphones were lying it is quite normal they can sound weird when unpacked in home, still having lower temperature than you have in room. Once I had borrowed Fostex TH900 with Dekoni pads, I felt cold touching them (it was winter...), and they were unlistenable out of the box. 2 hours passed, and everything changed, they started to sound much better :wink:
So it is not always the thing of 'headphons brun-in". First of all they should have normal room temperature :D

Btw. I see you have DT800 600Ohm, how would you compare Meze 109 pro to them?
Hahaha yeah! I knew it had to do with that! And the fun part is, I had this exact same happening to my Beyerdynamic T5p.2! It sounded so cold and less vivid.
From my memory, it was back in January 2020, so yeah, damn cold :p

I'll get back to you regarding the DT880 660ohm but I can tell you this: it's a wonderful headphone too, much less fatiguing than the DT770 I had. The lows are plenty, treble is very clearer and yet not aggressive at all, which I'm very impressed with. You can hear the super tiny microdetails in sound. And my advice, don't get a analythical dac/amps otherwise the treble might sound very sharp. I had the DT880 250ohm with Fiio K5 Pro and it was kinda piercing. Probably because Fiio are usually analythical. With my Klipsch Heritage dac/amp, no longer an issue. Tho I don't know if the 600 and 250ohm makes a difference but that's my heads up. But the differences between the DT880 and 109 is pretty massive. It's hard to tell but the price of the DT880 screams "Buy me now!"
Happy to hear you're enjoying them! And just an FYI, when I said that they should priced higher, I didn't mean that literally lol. I was just trying to convey given how good they sounded, I'd imagine they would be priced more at the $2k-2.5k range, especially given how they sounded to the other cans I directly compared them with. Hopefully more manufacturers will learn from Meze and price their cans lower!
Oh oops, I misunderstood! :p And yes, if it was not Meze, the 109 would have been indeed priced between 2k-2,5. There should be a balance and reasonable prices. Not everything that sounds very good have to cost with 3 zero's. Meze did it perfectly in balance with ultra cheap, budget, mid and high end. And it's completely serviceable too, something that other brands doesn't want that. I doubt more manufacturers will learn though.

Not only the build quality, the design is top notch! Have you ever seen such unique design? Not me and IMHO, in terms of design, the 109 beats the crap out of the 99 Classics lol.

This applies to me. It's been over a year since my last headphone and I used to buy many headphones in less than one year. My last one was probably the Tygr or the DT880, also because of their prices and yet the comfort is damn good and sounds very great too. The 109 is an exception because of the impressions by others from months ago who have tried them at CanJam and of course, the design is so enticing. My most expensive headphone I ever bought still remains the Klipsch HP-3 at about €1200 but this headphone is from a whole different level in literally every thing and it's now collectors item.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #338 of 3,452
Absolutely! I have to applaud Meze here. It seems like they took all the criticism they received over the past couple years from their end end headphones and really acted on them with these.
I had the 99 Classics and currently own the Liric. The 99 was a musical headphone with excess bass and a well lit top end. I’m assuming the 109 is an open version of that, based on comments and some of the measurements.

I don’t think Meze is going for a “neutral” or technically even response per se, but one where you can enjoy listening and stay involved. The AudioQuest headphones went down a similar path. But for me, it’s a temporary listening experience, as I eventually tire of a specific sculpted sonic signature.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #340 of 3,452
I had the 99 Classics and currently own the Liric. The 99 was a musical headphone with excess bass and a well lit top end. I’m assuming the 109 is an open version of that, based on comments and some of the measurements.

I don’t think Meze is going for a “neutral” or technically even response per se, but one where you can enjoy listening and stay involved. The AudioQuest headphones went down a similar path. But for me, it’s a temporary listening experience, as I eventually tire of a specific sculpted sonic signature.
I have the 99 Classics too and I can tell you, the differences to the 109 is massive, not even close.
They may look the same considering the headband, a big hole in the earcups but the sounds are very different. The 99C indeed has excess bass and well lit top. I pick this up depending on my mood but it's a pretty fun headphone for games like GTA and probably CoD(?) Never been a fan of the latter.

Sep 18, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #341 of 3,452
Moon Audio : review said the gear has an issue in the 5-6 khz area that creates a bit to much "Sssssssssss".

He wrote...

"""""" I was actually noticing some sibilance issues around 5-6K (just a rough estimate) with the headphones on a number of genres. You know, it’s that sometimes harsh-sounding S or T that makes you wince a bit?"""""""

Bloom audio said..

"""""
The bass has a full, round sound, with good physicality and impact. There’s a small emphasis in the tuning towards the bass, with just a touch of bleed up into the mids. The mids provide strong detail and good layering in spite of the bass emphasis, with a lush, organic sound. Some vocals are slightly pulled back, with the male tenor range being the most notably recessed. Higher female voices and more low baritone male vocals are generally stronger. The treble has a bit more emphasis than the mids, adding energy and giving 109 Pro a somewhat V-shaped sound. """"

Major HI-fi said..

feel like I could listen to the 109 Pro for countless hours and never get tired of its lush sound signature. Its level of comfort also helps too, as the 109 sports an excellent build that matches the sonic fidelity on display. Having listened to the 109 Pro, and every other headphone that Meze has put out, I think it is safe to say this company does not know how to make a bad headphone. The 109 Pro is elegant and provided me with an enticing open-back experience on the level of some of the best out there. For some, $799 might be pushing it, but I think Meze is bringing the best it has with the 109 Pro. At its current price, the 109 Pro is a value that is easily worth considering as your new audiophile investment. """""

Headphone Dungeon said... of the Treble..

""The 109 PRO proves its audiophile-level quality with its high frequency expression, which comes across in energetic and granular detail. These meet a very special criteria of being emphatically loud in the highs without a shred of harshness. Snares and hi-hats had a sandy sizzle, while strummed acoustic guitars had a refreshingly bright rattle and emphasis on their percussive transient. Women’s vocals had an extra airy quality that blended beautifully with the aforementioned acoustic guitar timbre. Sibilants came through in highly intimate, condenser mic-level detail, with every clicky “ka” and wet “ts” felt as if the singer’s lips were just inches from your ear.""""

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #342 of 3,452
Moon Audio : review said the gear has an issue in the 5-6 khz area that creates a bit to much "Sssssssssss".

He wrote...

"""""" I was actually noticing some sibilance issues around 5-6K (just a rough estimate) with the headphones on a number of genres. You know, it’s that sometimes harsh-sounding S or T that makes you wince a bit?"""""""
I've had that. Not sure if it's me or it has burned-in or brain-burning or whatever that is, I no longer notice that.
Give me a few days and I'll report on my this own reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back