Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #347 of 3,470
Moon Audio : review said the gear has an issue in the 5-6 khz area that creates a bit to much "Sssssssssss".

He wrote...

"""""" I was actually noticing some sibilance issues around 5-6K (just a rough estimate) with the headphones on a number of genres. You know, it’s that sometimes harsh-sounding S or T that makes you wince a bit?"""""""
Moon Audio also uses the sibilance as a way to promote their Dragon cables....

Another reason why I rely more on comments posted on head-fi than pro reviewers :)

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #348 of 3,470
I really wanted to pick up a pair at CANJAM, but the sound really wasn't for me. Although it had good punch and dynamics IMO, the treble sounded unnatural and artificially boosted. It sorta reminded me of the metallic timbre I used to hate on my Stellia. Overall, it was too colored for me. If I was looking for this sorta sound, I would prefer to go with something like the clear MG. The build quality, fit, and comfort were all outstanding.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #349 of 3,470

Another reason why I rely more on comments posted on head-fi than pro reviewers :)
It's disgustingly obvious, but so many people just lap it up.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #350 of 3,470
It sorta reminded me of the metallic timbre I used to hate on my Stellia.
I've never been a big fan of the Focal sound (even with their loudspeakers)-- as you say, a bit of a metallic timbre throughout their line. (Other aspects of the sonic presentation are quite fine though). I wonder if in this instance it has anything to do with the 109 having a (partial) beryllium driver, like as can be found on the Utopia. Where the Meze fascinates me though is the hybrid beryllium/biocelluose(?) driver. Is that combo a first in headphones? I don't know. Bringing the speed and detail of the former with the warmth and timbre of the other?

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #351 of 3,470

Of course they do... They always try to sell you a cable. However, a member here, and one other review i posted said that the SSSSSS, is a bit noticeable in the 109, tho the reviewer seems to like a slightly too etched treble.

And Heaphones.com, like all Vendors.... have to consider that giving something they sell to keep the Lights on in the store, = a bad review, .... they have to think about this, as how can they not?

"Major-Hifi" the review site, gives their review to you so that Audio46 gets your money.

Youtube reviewers, get free gear to review. So, Are they going to cut off that Gravy Train by saying a very expensive Flagship, sounds horrible?
No.

And Forum Reviewers, dont want to admit that they wasted $3500-$6000,.... so they always "like" the headphones, all the way to the classified section, 2 days after they review it.

So, who can you trust?
You can trust that i buy all my gear, and if i like it, i will review it, and if i dont think its going to please most listeners, i wont review it.
That is why, for example..... i didnt review the LCD-5, that everyone sells. :)

I reviewed the closed Raal, recently, because its a very good all arounder.
The Stealth Expanse is by far Dan's best product i've ever heard and ive owned most of Dan's gear.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #352 of 3,470
I really wanted to pick up a pair at CANJAM, but the sound really wasn't for me. Although it had good punch and dynamics IMO, the treble sounded unnatural and artificially boosted. It sorta reminded me of the metallic timbre I used to hate on my Stellia. Overall, it was too colored for me. If I was looking for this sorta sound, I would prefer to go with something like the clear MG. The build quality, fit, and comfort were all outstanding.
Yes, please keep talking me out of this purchase!

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #354 of 3,470
Im wondering how these would compare with OG Clears? Thinking about upgrading/sidegrading to these.
I really disliked the original clears.
To me they sounded rather tinny and overly bright.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #355 of 3,470
Moon Audio : review said the gear has an issue in the 5-6 khz area that creates a bit to much "Sssssssssss".

He wrote...

"""""" I was actually noticing some sibilance issues around 5-6K (just a rough estimate) with the headphones on a number of genres. You know, it’s that sometimes harsh-sounding S or T that makes you wince a bit?"""""""

Bloom audio said..

"""""
The bass has a full, round sound, with good physicality and impact. There’s a small emphasis in the tuning towards the bass, with just a touch of bleed up into the mids. The mids provide strong detail and good layering in spite of the bass emphasis, with a lush, organic sound. Some vocals are slightly pulled back, with the male tenor range being the most notably recessed. Higher female voices and more low baritone male vocals are generally stronger. The treble has a bit more emphasis than the mids, adding energy and giving 109 Pro a somewhat V-shaped sound. """"

Major HI-fi said..

feel like I could listen to the 109 Pro for countless hours and never get tired of its lush sound signature. Its level of comfort also helps too, as the 109 sports an excellent build that matches the sonic fidelity on display. Having listened to the 109 Pro, and every other headphone that Meze has put out, I think it is safe to say this company does not know how to make a bad headphone. The 109 Pro is elegant and provided me with an enticing open-back experience on the level of some of the best out there. For some, $799 might be pushing it, but I think Meze is bringing the best it has with the 109 Pro. At its current price, the 109 Pro is a value that is easily worth considering as your new audiophile investment. """""

Headphone Dungeon said... of the Treble..

""The 109 PRO proves its audiophile-level quality with its high frequency expression, which comes across in energetic and granular detail. These meet a very special criteria of being emphatically loud in the highs without a shred of harshness. Snares and hi-hats had a sandy sizzle, while strummed acoustic guitars had a refreshingly bright rattle and emphasis on their percussive transient. Women’s vocals had an extra airy quality that blended beautifully with the aforementioned acoustic guitar timbre. Sibilants came through in highly intimate, condenser mic-level detail, with every clicky “ka” and wet “ts” felt as if the singer’s lips were just inches from your ear.""""
Looking forward to it.
Some reports. I use my own reference to test the sssssibilance and it was indeed strong but only when it's new out of the box, so listened cold for a few days.
The sibilance started to improve after some days, you'll probably need one week. But the sibilance is no longer aggressive. The treble is aggressive but silky and not fatiguing.

If such reviewers recommends you to get different cables, then something is wrong and it's not the headphones themself but it's their wallet that's wrong.
Dragon cables? Not really sure but it probably doesn't sound cheap. So yeah, I'd say: discard their nonsense reviews. Wether be using different cables should be entirely on the owners themself, not the reviewers. Just like the owners can use different earpads, they can just use different cables if they will.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #356 of 3,470
My last one was probably the Tygr or the DT880, also because of their prices and yet the comfort is damn good and sounds very great too.
May I ask you how the 109 Pro compares to the Tygr, sound-wise?

I own the Tygr but I rarely listen to them if I'm at home, as they sound too mid-bassy and their treble is too forward for me (especially on metal tracks, ear-piercing cymbals). I guess i'am a planar guy, but the 109 keep growing my interest.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #357 of 3,470
I'll get back to you regarding the DT880 660ohm but I can tell you this: it's a wonderful headphone too, much less fatiguing than the DT770 I had. The lows are plenty, treble is very clearer and yet not aggressive at all, which I'm very impressed with. You can hear the super tiny microdetails in sound. And my advice, don't get a analythical dac/amps otherwise the treble might sound very sharp. I had the DT880 250ohm with Fiio K5 Pro and it was kinda piercing. Probably because Fiio are usually analythical. With my Klipsch Heritage dac/amp, no longer an issue. Tho I don't know if the 600 and 250ohm makes a difference but that's my heads up. But the differences between the DT880 and 109 is pretty massive. It's hard to tell but the price of the DT880 screams "Buy me now!"
I also have DT880 600Ohm, thats why I asked about differences. But for me DT880 dont have enough bass (I mainly mean subbas region) comparing to what I like and I love when headphones have good subbas extension, they dont necessarily need to have midbas bump (I dont like when this region is too present). In bass sense DT880 comparing to my other daily headphones like Quad-Era1 and Aeon 2C, are really lacking, far behid, yeah Beyers have quite of midbass, but lower regions are poor.
Btw. DT880 on solid state amps I have are unlistenable for me, too much highs, too thing sounding overal. However on my OTL amp or hybrid Little Dt mk3 SE (with Bugle Boy ubes) they are almost perfect, just lacking better bass extension (which is actually better on Little Dot than my OTL but it can be a thing of tubes I have on OTL idk).
I love good bass (not bumped but well extended) and lush mids. I hope Meze 109 can deliver that, and looking on they frequency chart I suspect that they can sound very interesting on hybrid amps (mix of tubes and ss).

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #358 of 3,470
Some reports. I use my own reference to test the sssssibilance and it was indeed strong but only when it's new out of the box, so listened cold for a few days.
The sibilance started to improve after some days, you'll probably need one week. But the sibilance is no longer aggressive. The treble is aggressive but silky and not fatiguing.
Thank you for your analysis.

Sep 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #359 of 3,470
May I ask you how the 109 Pro compares to the Tygr, sound-wise?

I own the Tygr but I rarely listen to them if I'm at home, as they sound too mid-bassy and their treble is too forward for me (especially on metal tracks, ear-piercing cymbals). I guess i'am a planar guy, but the 109 keep growing my interest.
Compared to 109, the Tygr is very bassy and warmer sounding. To me, the cymbals are smooth. Maybe I forced my ears by training the past 2-2,5 years or it's been like that since always. The Tygr also hides the 'microdetails' but you can hear them alright by cranking the volume which is not a good idea. Compared to 109, the Tygr is a joke and I don't even want to talk bad about it. Though the Tygr is not a bad headphone at all.

I also have DT880 600Ohm, thats why I asked about differences. But for me DT880 dont have enough bass (I mainly mean subbas region) comparing to what I like and I love when headphones have good subbas extension, they dont necessarily need to have midbas bump (I dont like when this region is too present). In bass sense DT880 comparing to my other daily headphones like Quad-Era1 and Aeon 2C, are really lacking, far behid, yeah Beyers have quite of midbass, but lower regions are poor.
Btw. DT880 on solid state amps I have are unlistenable for me, too much highs, too thing sounding overal. However on my OTL amp or hybrid Little Dt mk3 SE (with Bugle Boy ubes) they are almost perfect, just lacking better bass extension (which is actually better on Little Dot than my OTL but it can be a thing of tubes I have on OTL idk).
I love good bass (not bumped but well extended) and lush mids. I hope Meze 109 can deliver that, and looking on they frequency chart I suspect that they can sound very interesting on hybrid amps (mix of tubes and ss).
Everything you said regarding the DT880 600ohm, I agree. When using the Amiron Home for a period of time or HP-3 or 109, the DT880 suddenly lacks bass. And exactly as you said! Using the DT880 with a Fiio K5 Pro is also unlistenable. At some point, I gave up and sold the DT880, it was the 250ohm version. I sold the Fiio and got the Klipsch dac/amp, 'rebought' the DT880, tho the Manufakturer edition and 600ohm and perfectly listenable and highs are easy on the ears too. The Klipsch dac/amp also enhances the bass? When playing GTAV for example, it sounds very great.
Thank you for your analysis.
You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back