Meze Audio 109 Pro
Sep 16, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #286 of 3,481
I'm for one sensitive to treble. To give you an impression, I had to sell my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 because at some point, I don't like this type of treble. It's not ear-piercing of course but it's more as in, shrill. A shame because I loved it but it was a better idea for it to have a new happy owner.

And the earpad has been applied and boy, it's more difficult but we atleast know it's indeed fully serviceable. I was very curious how the hell are the earpads applied.

Here my quick impressions so bear in mind my ears have to get used to the new sound first.

- Comfort is excellent, the velours are probably the most comfy out there, just like the OEM velour earpads for the Fidelio X2HR. Tho the ones on the 109 are damn soft and fluffy.
- Treble is surprisingly not that harsh, it is aggressive but not fatiguing at all, it's more silky which it's very good. As my personal reference, I use the fireworks launcher in GTAV to get an impression how the sibilance is and it's not piercing at all. This is coming for a guy that's sensitive to sibilance. However, over the past months to almost two years, I have used different headphones to train my ears so less of an issue than before I entered the world of audio. Klipsch HP-3 helped me to train my ears too. I'll be doing more testing on the treble this weekend.
- Bass, I can't tell much on this right now but I'll be doing more testing too. I've been loving bass more than ever and I used to like treble more than bass in the past. I don't know how that got changed. But bass kicks in when needed or when it's there. And monday my new copper cable will be delivered so I'll definitely use that one.
- Vocals! This is very important to me because I hated how the T5p.2 and 99 Classics handles the vocals. Too loud and ear-deafening. You know the annoying voices from GTAV npc's? Not an issue with the 109! Bearable and soft on the ears, just like the Klipsch HP3. I appreciate it how Meze does that.

And soundstage is indeed really impressive! So airy and due to the design, it's like you're in the world you're watching/playing. I just tried some short Marvel movies on
youtube and it's very impressive! You can hear the rumble so much, you can feel the rumble!

I hope to write more about it the next days!
As a fellow long-time HP-3 owner, very interested in the 109 Pro being compared to the Klipsch. Also own the Empyrean if anyone can compare to that also.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #287 of 3,481
Yes, these are really good for metal music...The guitar and drums are just so raw!

It's kinda weird (in a good way), you can definitely tell that the treble is pretty aggressive, but you don't get any fatigue like you would expect from this kind of sound. The Soundstage is really impressive as well! Comfort/Build quality...Well its Meze :)

The one disappointment is just like with the Lirics...The cable! But yeah i've had worse included cable (HD 560s)...:D

If I could change anything, is that I would have loved to pay a bit extra to get the same headband as the Lirics, with the groove in the middle for heat disspension and real leather :frowning2:. Perhaps Meze can offer a headband upgrade like how ZMF does in the future!
I LOVE the Liric headband.

No idea how the 109 headband is, but I'd love future Meze headphones to utilize the Liric headband as well

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #291 of 3,481
I have a Ifi Zen Can and I wonder if it will have enough power to drive 109 satisfactorily? I have read that Zen Can is not recommended for low ohm headphones.
The Zen Can is a powerhouse and from the balanced output it can drive pretty much everything.

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #292 of 3,481
The Liric is such good design. I use mine as a daily driver and for gaming when I want closed back and often forget they're on my head.
I pray for a ANC/BT version of the Lirics! I wouldn't mind paying the price if Meze offers a low cost battery replacement service.

I do miss the headband on the 109's a tiny bit, but the 109s are very comfortable regardless, but I will miss the heat transfer of the liric band come next summer.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #294 of 3,481
As a fellow long-time HP-3 owner, very interested in the 109 Pro being compared to the Klipsch. Also own the Empyrean if anyone can compare to that also.
Thanks, I'm glad I could be of help with comparing. And the HP-3 still remains one of the most beautiful headphones out there, I refuse to sell it.
And I might be a bad person for saying but damn, the 109 looks much better and beautiful than the 99 Classics! With the HP-3 and the 109, you got the best of the worlds!
The gold accents of the 109 is a mix of gold and rose gold, so not like on the 99 Classics. More like on the Lirics, I suppose. The walnut is darker too than of the 99 Classics. The 109 is heavy too and feels more premium too.

And oh yes, the source I use with the 109 is Klipsch Heritage headphone amplifier.

Sep 17, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #297 of 3,481
Looking forward to comparisons with focal clear and chifiman xs/ananda

I've owned the Clear MGs, I don't think they're too dissimilar when it comes to SQ (109 has bigger stage), even tho its hard to compare more precisely since I can't A/B test them.

But the comfort is on another level, the 109s also seems way more serviceable for future repairs.

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 12-43-22 109 PRO.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back