Meze Audio’s newest single-DD IEM - ADVAR
Sep 4, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #316 of 507
Still getting constantly amazed/blown away by these - I haven't listened to Disturbed for quite some time but Indestructible came on in a track radio on Tidal and I've never heard it sound so good, had me doing air drums which I can generally restrain myself from lol:metal:

I noticed that you have the FIR Kr5 in addition to the Advar. I've been curious about the Kr5 for a while now so was wondering if you could compare them to the Advar? Would be interesting to hear how the Advar stacks up to a $3k IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #317 of 507
I noticed that you have the FIR Kr5 in addition to the Advar. I've been curious about the Kr5 for a while now so was wondering if you could compare them to the Advar? Would be interesting to hear how the Advar stacks up to a $3k IEM.
I haven’t directly compared them yet. Will put aside some time in the week and post some thoughts up!

Sep 4, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #318 of 507
I didn't receive any offer from other group members, so I can reserve the Advar tour kit for you. I'll start a PM tomorrow with Meze Team and you, they'll handle the payment and sales record.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 4, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #319 of 507
Awesome, thank you :)

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #320 of 507
I compared during the weekend my Advar with Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Thieaudio Monarch MKI acquired on Ebay. They are both going back!
The clarity of the Advar mids is unmatched and it makes a very noticeable dufference. I expected the Monarch bass to outshine the Advar but no, it didn't happpen. The Advar is also the most dynamic of the 3 and a bit more intimate sounding, which overall I prefer because it still leaves a lot of room in between instruments.
The only reservation is the fact that it is also the most sibilant and fatiguing: I am 52 and can tolerate that but younger ears may find it a lot to cope with (anyway, EQ exists...).
All used without EQ, source was a Fiio BTR7 in LDAC BT mode, listening to acoustic jazz, flamenco and classical music exclusively.
I will keep the Meze and drop on Ebay the other 2. I also have a Final Audio E5000 in my collection that adds some remarkable diversity from the Advar. It is like the combination of LCD-X (E5000) and Clear Mg (Advar) which keeps me happy for full size headphones.

Between the Dusk and and Monarch is a hard choice which speaks highly in favour of the Dusk given that they are much cheaper. The Monarch gave me the impression to be designed with other music genres in mind.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #321 of 507
I compared during the weekend my Advar with Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk and Thieaudio Monarch MKI acquired on Ebay. They are both going back!
The clarity of the Advr mids is unmatched and it makes a very noticeable dufference. I expected the Monarch bass to outshine the Advar but no, it didn't happpen. The Advar is also the most dynamic of the 3 and a bit more intimate sounding, which overall I prefer because it still leaves a lot of room in between instruments.
The only reservation is the fact that it is also the most sibilant and fatiguing: I am 52 and can tolerate that but younger ears may find it a lot to cope with (anyway, EQ exists...).
All used without EQ, source was a Fiio BTR7 in LDAC BT mode, listening to acoustic jazz, flamenco and classical music exclusively.
I will keep the Meze and drop on Ebay the other 2. I also have a Final Audio E5000 in my collection that adds some remarkable diversity from the Advar. It is like the combination of LCD-X (E5000) and Clear Mg (Advar) which keeps me happy for full size headphones.

Between the Dusk and and Monarch is a hard choice which speaks highly in favour of the Dusk given that they are much cheaper. The Monarch gave me the impression to be designed with other music genres in mind.
The mids on the Advar are special. My initial impression were that the mids and treble of the Advar were similar to the Isabellae. On more critical listening I found that there was more clarity in the mids and treble compared to the Isabellae.

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #322 of 507
I want to share a personal plan with all my partners and friends in HeadFi forum. I'll take a long break later this month, and this will probably last till the end of 2022. I'll stay out of the radar completely and will resurface when I am fit to handle my job again. If you need any assistance on Meze Audio products, please feel free to PM @MezeTeam or left your message on Meze Audio Contact page. I'll hand over my ongoing activities/PM to them gradually next week. I really enjoy my time with the HeadFi forum and am looking forward to meeting with you again after my long vacation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 12, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #323 of 507
I want to share a personal plan with all my partners and friends in HeadFi forum. I'll take a long break later this month, and this will probably last till the end of 2022. I'll stay out of the radar completely and will resurface when I am fit to handle my job again. If you need any assistance on Meze Audio products, please feel free to PM @MezeTeam or left your message on Meze Audio Contact page. I'll hand over my ongoing activities/PM to them gradually next week. I really enjoy my time with the HeadFi forum and am looking forward to meeting with you again after my long vacation.

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation, mate!

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #324 of 507
Enjoy your break, Andy!

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #325 of 507
Initial impressions are that the Advar is a very fluent and pleasurable listen.
More detailed review to follow in a week or two.

IMG_20220917_170451.jpg

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #326 of 507
Initial impressions are that the Advar is a very fluent and pleasurable listen.
More detailed review to follow in a week or two.

IMG_20220917_170451.jpg
Enjoy reviewing it.
Really nice IEMs

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #327 of 507
Sep 23, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #329 of 507
Is it correctly understood that the Advar has a more intimate stage than Penta, and a spicier treble?
Certainly yes to the soundstage.
Treble is very fit dependant, I can't say for certain right now.

Sep 23, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #330 of 507
Is it correctly understood that the Advar has a more intimate stage than Penta, and a spicier treble?
Yes, for a more intimate stage, but still doesn't feel too small and I do like a good soundstage.
The Penta is more neutrally tuned, the Advar is a little V shaped with certain treble frequency emphasis here and there to enhance clarity/perceived resolution, but it is a very tasteful and slight V shape, and the treble doesn't bother me as a generally treble sensitive person. For sure, everyone is sensitive to different treble frequencies. The Liric bothered me, the Advar doesn't.
To me the Advar is a lot more fun and pleasant than the Penta. And they are super comfy and seal well due to their small size. I usually have problems with comfort and seal on IEMs. I am enjoying the Advar a lot more than I was anticipating.
Perhaps the bass could be a little more controlled and less in quantity, but honestly for the asking price it is ok. And the sound is still super pleasant.

Edit: Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am using the Advar with the Chord TT2 which probably isn't the most common choice with this IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back