Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #121 of 582
Whenever I'm not using it, I've had my Neo plugged into the Opus#1, running a continuous loop of pink noise. I don't know how many hours it's taken in, but I believe it's over 48. So tonight I'll call it finished with burn-in and start treating them normal again.

I do feel it's helped with vocal clarity, and maybe given a little back to the treble.

Going to receive my 99C tonight! 
gs1000.gif

I personally preferred it over the Neo... Anyhow - where do I get pink noise track(s) for free?  available anywhere to legally download?

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #123 of 582
Going to receive my 99C tonight! :gs1000smile:

I personally preferred it over the Neo... Anyhow - where do I get pink noise track(s) for free?  available anywhere to legally download?

There is a nice freeware application called Audacity. I use it for many different things, including checking dynamic range and to verify lossless music I downloaded was never at any point chipped away at by lossy conversion.

You can use Audacity to generate white noise or pink noise. Then export that as a .wav file.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #124 of 582
There is a nice freeware application called Audacity. I use it for many different things, including checking dynamic range and to verify lossless music I downloaded was never at any point chipped away at by lossy conversion.

You can use Audacity to generate white noise or pink noise. Then export that as a .wav file.

Or just click on the above link :grinning:

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #125 of 582
Apr 12, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #126 of 582
http://www.head-fi.org/t/466827/free-burn-in-files

Thanks guys!!

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #129 of 582
And now I have to rewrite my review for 99 Neo lol 
biggrin.gif

iFi iDSD Micro BL makes 99 Neo sound even better than they do from my phone and custom DAC solution! @iFi audio  created something that makes awesome headphones sound super awesome!

To explain my excitement: 

The details are even better, soundstage is even better, power and energy of every song is even better. iDSD Micro BL makes music shine through so nicely with 99 Neo. 

Given that I had already written most of my review, I'm baffled to see that now I have even more things to say after hearing the combination. The level of details is hard to put in words. It is almost like every other DAC I had around was extremely veiled and iFi came in and took off that veil. 

I was slightly biased against BL thinking that it won't blow me away and that it'll be meh... I was never more wrong!!! This thing can easily pull more details than any other DAC / AMP I have around. The way it makes 99 Neo sound, it is really worth its money and the combo is incredible.

A more detailed review on sound incoming. But if you were wondering how good is BL, then I gotta say - it is incredibly good.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #130 of 582
My actual level of excitement over this combo: 

I caught only two hours of sleep last night. A combination of going to sleep late due to work and having to wake up for more work as Easter is coming led me to sleep only two hours. I had to work for the past eight hours and then I barely managed to make time to pick iDSD BL up. Romania celebrates Easter and we need to make space in our work schedule to afford a few days of time off, so I was in one of the worst moods I've been in a while due to all this fatigue.

I unboxed iDSD BL to see how it looks in person. Was pleasantly impressed by the packaging and many accessories, but I can barely keep my eyes open...

I said I should start a single song to see how it actually sounds like. Wasn't expecting much, and knowing that I'm both tired and kinda sad that I didn't even finish all my work, I thought I was going to stop after a single song and put it back in its box and continue looking at it after Easter.

It has been over a hour now. I should have been sleeping a day ago, but I can't stop listening to this thing!!! 

I am literally wearing iDSD Micr BL + Meze 99 Neo and I can't stop. I didn't get this enthused about Wa22 and other devices. The clear, balanced, detailed, well placed and natural sound of iDSD BL is incredible. 

To describe it, iDSD is transparent. But compared to many other DAC/AMP (s), it feels to me like it renders details really well, gives instruments a lot of air to breathe and the soundstage is so good. 

The separation between instruments is incredible as well. 

I'll probably fall asleep or fatigue pass-out while still listening 
gs1000.gif

Sorry, I'm just excited that I found something to give me this levels of enjoyment. The last few days I had to do so much work that I was feeling a bit down 
redface.gif

The natural, enthusiastic and warm/friendly tonality of the combo is baffling to witness.The bass is strong, fast and well controlled. Dynamic range is insane. I... It is freaking insane. I always thought that my past devices had a good dynamic range. This is a while new level entirely. The textures are incredible as well. I honestly never imagined that a DAC/AMP could make this much of a difference... 

The control and authority iDSD has over the headphones is also something unique. I love how it makes the headphone sound more controlled. More defined and refined. This happens with all headphones that are plugged in. 

(I have none of the enhancements engaged, power on the middle setting and no DSP, no EQ, just iDSD BL + Meze 99 Neo)

Hope that everyone is having the same levels of fun!! 

Time to stress test this witchery! 

Okay. 

So the song for this will be something insanely difficult with tons of instruments and effects and that can easily distort and sound awful on a setup. 

Found it. 

Dance Gavin Dance - I'm down in brown town

This song has 3-4 guitar notes sang at a 1/4 of a second difference at the same time the drums are hit with breath taking speed and the voices almost never stop during the song. 

And it does it. 

In fact, I never heard this song sang so well. There is zero trace of distortion. The guitars are spot-on both in detail, texture and tonality. The bass is also whole and natural sounding. It is strong and slams when it needs to. 

Time to stop writing and enjoy the sound until I can't stay awake anymore! 
gs1000.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #131 of 582
My actual level of excitement over this combo: 

I caught only two hours of sleep last night. A combination of going to sleep late due to work and having to wake up for more work as Easter is coming led me to sleep only two hours. I had to work for the past eight hours and then I barely managed to make time to pick iDSD BL up. Romania celebrates Easter and we need to make space in our work schedule to afford a few days of time off, so I was in one of the worst moods I've been in a while due to all this fatigue.

I unboxed iDSD BL to see how it looks in person. Was pleasantly impressed by the packaging and many accessories, but I can barely keep my eyes open...

I said I should start a single song to see how it actually sounds like. Wasn't expecting much, and knowing that I'm both tired and kinda sad that I didn't even finish all my work, I thought I was going to stop after a single song and put it back in its box and continue looking at it after Easter.

It has been over a hour now. I should have been sleeping a day ago, but I can't stop listening to this thing!!! 

I am literally wearing iDSD Micr BL + Meze 99 Neo and I can't stop. I didn't get this enthused about Wa22 and other devices. The clear, balanced, detailed, well placed and natural sound of iDSD BL is incredible. 

To describe it, iDSD is transparent. But compared to many other DAC/AMP (s), it feels to me like it renders details really well, gives instruments a lot of air to breathe and the soundstage is so good. 

The separation between instruments is incredible as well. 

I'll probably fall asleep or fatigue pass-out while still listening :gs1000smile:

Sorry, I'm just excited that I found something to give me this levels of enjoyment. The last few days I had to do so much work that I was feeling a bit down :xf_eek:

The natural, enthusiastic and warm/friendly tonality of the combo is baffling to witness.The bass is strong, fast and well controlled. Dynamic range is insane. I... It is freaking insane. I always thought that my past devices had a good dynamic range. This is a while new level entirely. The textures are incredible as well. I honestly never imagined that a DAC/AMP could make this much of a difference... 

The control and authority iDSD has over the headphones is also something unique. I love how it makes the headphone sound more controlled. More defined and refined. This happens with all headphones that are plugged in. 

(I have none of the enhancements engaged, power on the middle setting and no DSP, no EQ, just iDSD BL + Meze 99 Neo)

Hope that everyone is having the same levels of fun!! 

Time to stress test this witchery! 

Okay. 

So the song for this will be something insanely difficult with tons of instruments and effects and that can easily distort and sound awful on a setup. 

Found it. 

Dance Gavin Dance - I'm down in brown town

This song has 3-4 guitar notes sang at a 1/4 of a second difference at the same time the drums are hit with breath taking speed and the voices almost never stop during the song. 

And it does it. 

In fact, I never heard this song sang so well. There is zero trace of distortion. The guitars are spot-on both in detail, texture and tonality. The bass is also whole and natural sounding. It is strong and slams when it needs to. 

Time to stop writing and enjoy the sound until I can't stay awake anymore! :gs1000smile:

Man, I admire your dedication! Sleep well.....

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #132 of 582
Man, I admire your dedication! Sleep well.....

Thank you! 

Seems I manage to get around 3 hours of sleep 
biggrin.gif

Back to this amazing setup 
gs1000.gif

I'm way less enthused in general, but man this thing is so freaking awesome. The combo works out so well - I was not expecting there to be yet another level to Meze 99C and 99N, but it seems that if you add an iDSD BL to the chain you unlock the secret level of audio nirvana 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #133 of 582

Thank you! 

Seems I manage to get around 3 hours of sleep 
biggrin.gif

Back to this amazing setup 
gs1000.gif

I'm way less enthused in general, but man this thing is so freaking awesome. The combo works out so well - I was not expecting there to be yet another level to Meze 99C and 99N, but it seems that if you add an iDSD BL to the chain you unlock the secret level of audio nirvana 
wink.gif

George - with the risk of getting a little off-topic here... Did you try the 99C or 99N with Chord Mojo?  How does that compare to those headphones with the iDSD?

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #134 of 582

George - with the risk of getting a little off-topic here... Did you try the 99C or 99N with Chord Mojo?  How does that compare to those headphones with the iDSD?

I'm sorry and I know some people will jump me, but I'm a honest person. I vastly prefer iDSD BL 
biggrin.gif

This question is something even I had when I saw both products on the market.
I like and even loved Chord Hugo back when I tested it, but the rush that iDSD BL gave me today, Mojo wouldn't come close 
gs1000.gif

And I have literally no idea why. I wanted to like the Mojo. It didn't work with my smartphone, it didn't work with the computer the first three times and when it did, the sound was rather cold, no enthusiasm and energy in the music - not hollow, but rather cold. Tonality wise, it didn't sound as fun. 

And I'm trying to get what sounds most fun to me - iDSD BL + 99c / 99N hit the spot sooo right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back