Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #137 of 582
Apr 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #139 of 582
Can anyone discuss difference in sound quality with 99classics. Thanks

The differences are not that big - I wholeheartedly recommend buying based on color / cables preferences. 

99C sounds a bit better to me (no shock there I hope), but adding an iDSD BL to the chain will make both sound a new world level better! 
gs1000.gif

Basically, 99 Neo has a tad more bass and sub bass, and the presentation has a tiny bit more treble on 99C. The differences are like Meze stated, pretty small. The sweetness that the wood brings for 99 C is there though, and I never knew before that I am the type of listener that loves wood. 

99 Neo has its own very nice sound though and I honestly think that a person would be extremely happy with either! 

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #142 of 582
  Do you or anyone else find the iDSD BL is gives you quality like this that is worlds better than other amps, on other cans?

Yes. 

I just tested it last night with ie800 as well 
biggrin.gif

ie800 is awesome by itself, but adding iDSD BL made it even better 
gs1000.gif

The power that magic thing has - I can safely see it driving HD800, and LCD-2 well, but it works even with IEMs 

Changes BL does to ie800:

My lappy (Custom P775 work/game station) and my smartphone, Xiaomi mi max. I will probably want to use FiiO X5ii as well, but I don't know for sure how to use it yet 
biggrin.gif

I don't know what to make of that review to be honest. BL doesn't really affect the tonality of ie800. Or at least, if we're talking about the mid range, iDSD will make it sound more natural, the mids will not be changed much, but they will be a bit and for the better 
gs1000.gif

It makes the sound fuller, have more body and more lush. Everything sounds way more in its place and the music is extremely vivid. And I mean incredibly vivid. I need a bit more time to find better words to describe the sound 
wink.gif

There is no trace of mid recession, if that is what you're concerned about. I like iDSD BL way more than Mojo, but I have no idea how Hugo2 will sound like. I loved the first hugo! 

To me, Mojo sounded cold and unnatural regardless with what it was connected. Its midrange was not recessed but the tonality was a bit off, especially coming from something as sweet as iDSD BL.

About the top end of BL:

I was in X5-3's tour.. FiiO X5-3 sounds smooth. That is a really smooth DAP that will eventually make the top end sound smooth.

BL is fairly neutral for me and while it is not harsh, the details are all there! The soundstage expansion goes way beyond what ie800 sounded like with virtually anything, the instrument separation got even better, the transient response is even faster, you can hear even more instruments than with a typical source, and music body improvements are all so worth its price with ie800! 

iDSD BL + ie800 is one wicked pairing, that's for sure! 

Those changes can be applied to 99 C and 99 N as well - it simply renders music better. 

Considering how skeptical I am in general and that I had one of the worst moods this month when I started listening to iDSD and that it improved both my mood and defeated my die-hard skepticism - I really recommend giving it a listen when possible 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #143 of 582
Do you or anyone else find the iDSD BL is gives you quality like this that is worlds better than other amps, on other cans?

I'd be extremely surprised if it does.

I've heard a lot of amp/dac's in a wide price range and personal preference and need for specific features will play a huge part in what one prefer.

None of the ones I've heard are "Worlds better than other amps" with all headphones although some of them has definitely performed better than other in some combinations. I'd be extremely surprised if the iDSD BL magically outperform every other amp/dac in most combinations. Please note that I've never heard the BL (although I've got extensive experience with the original iDSD) so this is a general assumption from my findings the last couple of years.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #144 of 582
I'd be extremely surprised if it does.

I've heard a lot of amp/dac's in a wide price range and personal preference and need for specific features will play a huge part in what one prefer.

None of the ones I've heard are "Worlds better than other amps" with all headphones although some of them has definitely performed better than other in some combinations. I'd be extremely surprised if the iDSD BL magically outperform every other amp/dac in most combinations. Please note that I've never heard the BL (although I've got extensive experience with the original iDSD) so this is a general assumption from my findings the last couple of years.

/that's a fair assessment though 
biggrin.gif

I was not expecting this thing to be this good either. I am only hearing it for the first time and was extremely skeptical about it 
redface.gif

It proven me wrong and sounds awesome! 

If I were to recommend anything else that has an awesome sound, it would be directly Hugo. The only other DAC / AMP that really impressed me besides iDSD BL was Hugo. And I've heard tons in between but nothing improved sound as much as these two things. This is why I'm really curious about Hugo2 as well!

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #145 of 582
My Neo arrived. It went straight to pink noise. Of course I had to sneak a premature listen. I understand the difference...if I remember the 99 Classics changed some with time. The differences to between the two with my sneak-a-listen are evident.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #146 of 582
/that's a fair assessment though :D

I was not expecting this thing to be this good either. I am only hearing it for the first time and was extremely skeptical about it :xf_eek:

It proven me wrong and sounds awesome! 

If I were to recommend anything else that has an awesome sound, it would be directly Hugo. The only other DAC / AMP that really impressed me besides iDSD BL was Hugo. And I've heard tons in between but nothing improved sound as much as these two things. This is why I'm really curious about Hugo2 as well!

I'm glad you've found something that works for you, enjoy the music :)

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #149 of 582
The 99 Neo has inspired me to try something completely different for the photo shoot that will be included with my review.

Here is a test shot.  Now I spend 8+ hours editing and shooting the rest.

--

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #150 of 582
Looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back