Meze 99 Classics USA/Canada Tour - Reviewers Wanted
Feb 18, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #181 of 250
I find they actually have a very similar sound sig to the M4U 1 (and to a slightly lesser degree, Momentums), just warmer with a tad more sub-bass (and lacking the ethereal magic). I place the sound quality somewhere between the Momentums and M4U 1. But overall, the 99 Classics fit my preferred 'Harmon Curve' sound sig.

P.S. If you have received the tour pair, I suppose I am next. I just have to find someone locally who wants to do a swap for 1 week as I am rocking out on my prize pair!

beerchug.gif

I was curious how these would compare to the PSB (wouldn't it be great if we had access to all these headphones??). Oddly enough, the measurements (I'm looking at Innerfidelity) show the PSB having more sub bass...the Meze start rolling off around 50HZ (steeply below 40HZ) and the PSB is more linear (a little dip below 100hz, rising again after about 80hz). Of course measurements aren't always what we hear... who knows if the "room feel" or some other aspect of the tuning has something to do with it. I find my Momentums kinda closed in, which is why I'm looking...it sounds like the PSB has a more "open" sound (although the Meze has had a couple of reviews saying they have a very wide soundstage too). I am really looking forward to hearing these....thanks for the input Bansaku.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #182 of 250
@jinxy245 Yes, frequency response curve don't really tell the whole story. I am just putting the finishing touches on my 99 Classics review, but afterwards I am planning to do a shootout between the PSBs, Momentums, and 99 Classic. Of course, each had their own personalities and characteristics, but the three are more similar to each other than not. And yes, Room Feel does play a huge role in the M4U 1's bass; It's interesting how the bass energy is transferred to the mids and highs. The quantity of bass if virtually identical between the 3 headphones, but the way it is presented is a whole different story.

beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #184 of 250
@jinxy245 Yes, frequency response curve don't really tell the whole story. I am just putting the finishing touches on my 99 Classics review, but afterwards I am planning to do a shootout between the PSBs, Momentums, and 99 Classic. Of course, each had their own personalities and characteristics, but the three are more similar to each other than not. And yes, Room Feel does play a huge role in the M4U 1's bass; It's interesting how the bass energy is transferred to the mids and highs. The quantity of bass if virtually identical between the 3 headphones, but the way it is presented is a whole different story.

beerchug.gif

That shootout should be great... I wish there was a PSB listening tour...I'd really like to spend more quality time with them. I've got a bit more listening to do, I think!

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #185 of 250
Wait what is the order that these are being shipped? I am listed after NMathies? So is that my spot in the list or... how are we shipping these out exactly 

also I just got a nice Modded Wood Back ES10, that's also really dark [paid $350 for it] so that'll be a nice comparison for the Meze imo :D 

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #186 of 250
Wait what is the order that these are being shipped? I am listed after NMathies? So is that my spot in the list or... how are we shipping these out exactly 

also I just got a nice Modded Wood Back ES10, that's also really dark [paid $350 for it] so that'll be a nice comparison for the Meze imo :D 

Nope, you're not after me. The list isn't in order. I just got a PM from Meze with the next tour member when my time was up. It'd be nice if the list was reordered to give peeps an idea of when their turn was, though.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #187 of 250
Nope, you're not after me. The list isn't in order. I just got a PM from Meze with the next tour member when my time was up. It'd be nice if the list was reordered to give peeps an idea of when their turn was, though.

haha right, I figured it would be according to location 

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #188 of 250

+1000

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #189 of 250
Okay guys so I know I've been mostly absent from these forums for over a month now, but I'm coming back for the moment becauase of this review-tour.  I have received my review pair of the 99 Classics here in New Haven, CT, but there is a slight problem. . .they are being held at the front-desk of my apartment building, apparently.  But I did not learn this until tonight when everything had already been closed-down.  See, they made a mistake, it would seem, and failed to ever put a notice on my mailbox that a package had been sent to me and was being held at the front desk.  Anyway, now I probably won't be able to get in all weekend to get the package, so I probably won't actually be able to get a hold of the headphones until Monday, which should slightly delay me being able to send the headphones out to the next person. . .sorry about that, everyone.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #190 of 250
Meze 99, Vmoda M100, Sony MDR-Z7 shootout listening to 192kHz 24 bit Flac song Code Cool by Patricia Barber on my Pono.

Meze 99 and M100 played with standard stereo connection, Z7 played with balanced cable output.

Ok before I get started I want to be clear about my preferences. Over the years I have fluctuated between bright and dark sounding headphones. Swaying as bright as the AKG K712 and as dark as RHA T10. The T10 actually started me down the path to darker headphones until I settled on the Z7 which found a good balance between a dark sound with just the right sparkle and treble detail for me. For the past year and half it has been my go to headphone for listening enjoyment in full size gear.

M100 - Comparing the 3 headphones with this song really shows the M100's main stream signature and it's weaknesses. Starting with the bass while almost as strong as the Z7 it lacks the Z7 punch, detail and texture, sounding slightly hollow in comparison. The midrange is slightly subdued compared to the Z7 and the 99 while having a vocal pitch closer to the 99as compared to the warmer sounding Z7. Strangely the midrange sounds less cohesive due to the gap between the bass and the midrange. Treble is slightly hotter than the Z7 while still not being as bright or as detailed as the 99. The hotness of the treble makes the M100 ever so slightly more fatiguing than the 99 and Z7. The sound stage is slightly larger than the 99 but smaller than the Z7 but has an artificial quality assocated with its V shaped signature. Of the three the M100 has the least detail and imaging prowess.

MDR-Z7 - The Z7 has the biggest bass of the three headphones while having good punch and texture. The bass is definitely the Z7 strength and for many will be its Achilles heel. In this song the Big Bass (instrument) sounds slightly slightly larger than normal. Personally I enjoy the slightly larger than life experience but again many would not appreciate the coloration. The midrange is the warmest of the three headphones and yet retains detail, urgency, and is very cohesive with the bass. But this also means vocals have a level of huskiness that some would again find colored. The treble is finely detailed and articulate while being slightly relaxed, never approaching anything close to fatiguing. 3D imaging and sound stage is immensly satisfying and large beating both 99 and M100 handily.

Meze 99 - The bass of the 99 is the lowest in quantity while having as good a punch as the Z7 as well as detail and texture making it the most balanced of the three headphones. It is not a neutral headphone though, just more balanced than the other 2 in this comparison. The midrange similarly is brighter and as detailed and urgent as the Z7. The treble has none of the hotness of the M100 while being the brightest of the 3 headphones and yet fatigue free. While the 99 has the smallest sound stage it is very natural sounding and has as good instrument separation as the Z7.

So given my leaning towards the dark side it would be easy to say I would like the Z7 the most, but strangely enough I found myself enjoying the Meze 99 as much or more than the Z7. Where the Z7 won in the 3D and sound stage department the 99 won in the clarity and natural department. Both were non-fatiguing.

Comfort wise the Z7 wins but I actually found the 99 more comfortable than the M100 with extra large pads. In fact I can easily see living with the 99 from a comfort perspective which is shocking because I immensely prefer full over over versus on ear or half on ear. But the 99 has done a better job of comfort than any other half on ear headphone I have owned or tried.

So there you have it. The Meze trounced the M100 and sounded as good as (or better if you don't like the sound of the Z7's signaure) my $700 Z7 running in its optimal balanced configuration. So I guess you could say I like the Meze 99 a lot :wink:.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #191 of 250
  Okay guys so I know I've been mostly absent from these forums for over a month now, but I'm coming back for the moment becauase of this review-tour.  I have received my review pair of the 99 Classics here in New Haven, CT, but there is a slight problem. . .they are being held at the front-desk of my apartment building, apparently.  But I did not learn this until tonight when everything had already been closed-down.  See, they made a mistake, it would seem, and failed to ever put a notice on my mailbox that a package had been sent to me and was being held at the front desk.  Anyway, now I probably won't be able to get in all weekend to get the package, so I probably won't actually be able to get a hold of the headphones until Monday, which should slightly delay me being able to send the headphones out to the next person. . .sorry about that, everyone.

Hey @goodyfresh, that's really unfortunate. You can keep the headphones for the full 7 days after you manage to get your hands on them on Monday. 

As for the list, yes it's location based to minimize the distance the headphones have to "travel" to reach their destination. We'll post an update on the organized list. Thanks for pointing it out to us guys! 

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Feb 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #192 of 250

$#it happens goodyfresh we can't hold it against you... I (for one) appreciate the update...looking forward to your impressions.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #193 of 250
drats...got to this party late.
guess they're no longer in canada for people to try?

anyone have the sony mdr7520 and have compared these to the meze 99
(lovely looking cans!)

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #194 of 250

$#it happens goodyfresh we can't hold it against you... I (for one) appreciate the update...looking forward to your impressions.

Oh things are getting MUCH WORSE.  I managed to make it to the Rental Office during the very limited saturday hours, and the Assistant Property Manager checked all the packages there and CLAIMS there is NO PACKAGE there for me or for my apartment number.  Which makes no sense, as the USPS tracking info for the package, from the last reviewer, says that it got here on Wednesday and is being held at the office!

I just recently moved to this apartment building and now I am LOATHE to EVER order anything valuable to be sent here to me,j because it seems the rental office at this building can't be trusted not to misplace packages.  THis is an absolute disaster.  Am I going to owe Meze money for the headphones now, or something, if they simply never turn up again and are missing????????
  Hey @goodyfresh, that's really unfortunate. You can keep the headphones for the full 7 days after you manage to get your hands on them on Monday. 

As for the list, yes it's location based to minimize the distance the headphones have to "travel" to reach their destination. We'll post an update on the organized list. Thanks for pointing it out to us guys! 

See above :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #195 of 250
@goodyfresh Have faith they'll show up. Canada post often pre-signs my packages so they show as delivered well before they actually arrive. Freaks me out every time...

Also, here is my take on the 99 Classics. Kind of a weird review in my opinion, but I hope it adequately gets across my love for this headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/meze-99-classics/reviews/15305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back