Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #6,917 of 7,703
From my experience balanced sounds much better than single ended.
SE vs BAL output have no inherent differences in sound. If some amp is built primarily like balanced, then it most probably should be used as balanced. That's why a particular amp could sound better out of balanced output than from SE output. But that doesn't mean any BAL amp is better than SE amp. To put another perspective, since balanced has esentially two outputs = many of it's parts must be 2x, so cost of parts is almost twice as much, to be around same quality as SE amp. Well implemented & high quality SE amp will everytime beat mediocre BAL amp and for the same price it should (if the SE amp isn't any rip-off :D ).

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #6,918 of 7,703
SE vs BAL output have no inherent differences in sound. If some amp is built primarily like balanced, then it most probably should be used as balanced. That's why a particular amp could sound better out of balanced output than from SE output. But that doesn't mean any BAL amp is better than SE amp. To put another perspective, since balanced has esentially two outputs = many of it's parts must be 2x, so cost of parts is almost twice as much, to be around same quality as SE amp. Well implemented & high quality SE amp will everytime beat mediocre BAL amp and for the same price it should (if the SE amp isn't any rip-off :D ).
Well my iFi Zen DAC is primarily a single ended dac i suppose.

It cost 145€ and between the single ended output and balanced output are worlds in between.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #6,919 of 7,703
Are we talking about balanced DACs or balanced amp output? You don't have to have balanced DAC to have a balanced out. That's different things. But I know what you're talking about, even my Hiby R3 Pro had much better sound out of balanced output. If you can, u should give RME a try and you'll see that balanced vs SE means nothing :) The implementation is that matters.

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #6,920 of 7,703
Are we talking about balanced DACs or balanced amp output? You don't have to have balanced DAC to have a balanced out. That's different things. But I know what you're talking about, even my Hiby R3 Pro had much better sound out of balanced output. If you can, u should give RME a try and you'll see that balanced vs SE means nothing :) The implementation is that matters.
My Zen dac is internally truely balanced wired and has a balanced output. I don't know how ifi can do this with such a cheap product, but i love it.

But no, I was talking about the output, not the internal wiring.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #6,921 of 7,703
Balanced VS SE is always good for the entertainment factor.
PC.gif

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #6,922 of 7,703
More treble was my first impression. I suspect any improvement is due to the higher quality cable, rather than the 2.5mm connector. I would still be interested if anyone has used a third-party cable, as I've no idea if or when Meze will get the silver one back in stock.
they are in stock for me

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #6,924 of 7,703
What's the best pads for Meze 99 Neo to tame the bass? Is the only sound difference between Neo and Noir coming from the smaller pads offered by the Noir? If I get the smaller official pads for my neo will they sound identical to the classics and Noir?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #6,925 of 7,703
I asked before but was just told to maximise the 99. If I wanted to upgrade from the 99 to a new set of headphones, what should I be shortlisting. Because of where I live (Jersey), I cant listen to anything.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #6,926 of 7,703
I spent yesterday with a few hours on the Nighthawk in the morning, then switched to the Meze 99 Classics in the afternoon.

I don’t know if maybe I was just ready for a change of sound by the time the afternoon arrived but the 99’s felt … fresh. The brightness really helped after the relaxed listening of the Nighthawk’s, although the 99’s did feel a bit more one dimensional compared to the Nighthawk’s which really gave more of a room feeling as opposed to the music being right on top of you.

I think I’ll flip it around today and listen to the 99’s in the morning, then listen to the Nighthawk’s in the afternoon. I suspect I’ll flip with feeling there too, that after the 99’s I’ll appreciate the more relaxed Nighthawk’s in the afternoon.

At this point I think I’d like a mix between the two really. I like the feeling of expanse, the roominess, of the Nighthawk’s. I like the tighter bass of the Nighthawk’s, although the 99’s also have very good bass too.

With the 99’s I like the increased treble a bit more than what I get from the Nighthawk’s. I’m sensitive to sibilance and the 99’s haven’t bothered me with treble at any point.

A mix of the two would be great. Maybe an open-backed 99 would be perfect for me.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #6,927 of 7,703
To reiterate what others have recommended before: these silver cables are worth the upgrade to liven up the top end. I have the 4.4 mm balanced that I use with one pair of 99 classics (with a Fiio 4.4-3.5 mm adapter) and just bought another 3.5 mm version for another pair (I have 3 pairs for shared listening). The ergonomics and sound upgrade are easily worth it. The difference it creates is pretty obvious even if you're just getting into the game.
Which adapters? Sorry, I haven't been informed about such adapters. 4.4mm to 3.5mm or 3.5mm too 4.4mm? This?:
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/93379.html?templateId=1133604

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #6,928 of 7,703
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #6,929 of 7,703
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #6,930 of 7,703
I spent yesterday with a few hours on the Nighthawk in the morning, then switched to the Meze 99 Classics in the afternoon.

I don’t know if maybe I was just ready for a change of sound by the time the afternoon arrived but the 99’s felt … fresh. The brightness really helped after the relaxed listening of the Nighthawk’s, although the 99’s did feel a bit more one dimensional compared to the Nighthawk’s which really gave more of a room feeling as opposed to the music being right on top of you.

I think I’ll flip it around today and listen to the 99’s in the morning, then listen to the Nighthawk’s in the afternoon. I suspect I’ll flip with feeling there too, that after the 99’s I’ll appreciate the more relaxed Nighthawk’s in the afternoon.

At this point I think I’d like a mix between the two really. I like the feeling of expanse, the roominess, of the Nighthawk’s. I like the tighter bass of the Nighthawk’s, although the 99’s also have very good bass too.

With the 99’s I like the increased treble a bit more than what I get from the Nighthawk’s. I’m sensitive to sibilance and the 99’s haven’t bothered me with treble at any point.

A mix of the two would be great. Maybe an open-backed 99 would be perfect for me.
Let me know if you find that particular headphone. I've been searching for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back